"windows blocking access to these programs at start-up"

Example: Music EXT drive has the top 100 songs of every year since the 50s' to 2003. The PC boots from a homemade CD that stays in the CD drive. To turn on I have to hit a bunch of F2 or F10 or whatever..........but when it goes it is Linux and it works. I almost feel stupid when I try to get it running.

I could never do something like that by myself. I have it out in the garage and I use it music only.
There is probably an icon to install it to the HD. It will run slow off a CD, that's for testing purposes. If everything works you are good to go. You can install it along side your XP partition and it will automatically boot into the distro. If XP still works you can switch to it at the grub (menu before it loads the OS).

An update to my re-booting problem. Now when i turn the comp on this message pops-up. It boots up fine and when i click on what programs its blocking it has one program, UPDATER thats being blocked. Im leaving it blocked because when i clicked on unblock a message pops up saying another program is trying to access the computer.

Also, a computer repair man i talked to today said windows vista doesnt even send updates anymore but i get updates often and in my system restore screen it shows many updates in the past few months. I do have vista, it says so in my settings.
if you haven't already, you might check the System Configuration tool. to open it you have to type msconfig at a command prompt or the run box if you can't find it anywhere in your start menu. when it opens, it's a simple dialog box with some mean settings in it. the first tab is General, make sure 'Normal startup: load all drivers and services' is selected, or if you want 'Selective startup' you can go through the other tabs and adjust things. If you look at the Boot tab, make sure all the boot options are what you need. (for example, ''safe boot'' might sound nice but it prevents most things from loading at startup, and gets you some crappy screen resolution.) the other tabs might be helpful, too, especially the one called Startup, but i can't be too sure because i don't know vista that well and on other windows versions the Startup tab has a link that redirects to the Task Manager's Startup tab for some reason. damned microsoft.

Forum List

Back