Windows 11

Windows 11 is crap.
It locks up.
It is full of bugs.
It is hard to reset/restart.
You would think that by now Microsoft would know how to deploy a beta tested debugged operating system.

It will get worse as Microsoft moves towards making it fully cloud based. Meaning you won't even be able to locally install it and will be dependent on the internet connection to use windows.

Then they can simply turn you off if you end up on their radar as saying stuff they don't like.

Windows 11 already reports back huge amounts of data on you as it is. Even when you turn off telemetry it still sends back a lot of data.

It will get worse as Microsoft moves towards making it fully cloud based. Meaning you won't even be able to locally install it and will be dependent on the internet connection to use windows.

Then they can simply turn you off if you end up on their radar as saying stuff they don't like.

Windows 11 already reports back huge amounts of data on you as it is. Even when you turn off telemetry it still sends back a lot of data.

yep, and Windows 11 almost forces you to create a Microsoft account.

XP, 7, and 8 weren't that stable, but they fixed a lot of internals in Win 10.

Also, you can use Open-Shell to turn Win 10 into 7, etc.

Windows 11 is crap.

There is a Windows 11 now? I heard that Windows 10 sucked donkey dick. I gave up on Windows after Windows 7, because 7 was crap, full of bugs and hard to use.

Best of all, I can run any needed Windows stuff ON my Mac and it runs better and safer too.

There is a Windows 11 now? I heard that Windows 10 sucked donkey dick. I gave up on Windows after Windows 7, because 7 was crap, full of bugs and hard to use.

Best of all, I can run any needed Windows stuff ON my Mac and it runs better and safer too.
I'm getting tired of the whole MS gig. I've never used anything else and the switch seems daunting. MS is getting more intrusive by the second and their support of legacy programs sucks. I really don't want a computer with any program or any of my content based in the "cloud." Does Apple operate in this way as well?

I'm getting tired of the whole MS gig. I've never used anything else and the switch seems daunting. MS is getting more intrusive by the second and their support of legacy programs sucks. I really don't want a computer with any program or any of my content based in the "cloud." Does Apple operate in this way as well?

Well, I'm no expert, but ever since early 2011, I've used a Mac. Actually a Mac Pro desktop, probably about an $8,000 replacement cost now but it has a 27" display and a fully RAIDed (5) architecture with four internal hard drives plus a RAIDED (2 drive) backup, plus a controller card with battery backup that saves all write operations until they are fully written to the drive. The average user has no need for this, it is all so that even in the event of a total failure of a drive, no files are lost.

But I run a virtual PC as well, I like Parallels, and I run Windows XP on it for old windows programs and I think it operates Windows OS and apps better than when I had an actual HP PC.

Of course, there are tons of other things to like about the Mac since it essentially runs a UNIX type OS such as the ability to search the whole computer (6 TB) instantly; as I type in the name of the search item, the computer seeks it out, everywhere at once, instead of my last PC experience where if I searched the PC for a file, a little dog came out, then the computer started searching, serially, one file after the other one at a time alphabetically, often taking hours to find what I was looking for.

Then there is the architecture. The inside of my desktop has no wires! Instead of the inside of a PC looking like it was home made, the Mac is so well thought out that everything just plugs in with no jumper wires.

13 years later come next Spring, I will still be using the same PC, with only one OS upgrade, which Apple provided for free. Mind you, Apple is far from perfect, but the difference between a Mac and an IBM PC is like warp drive to a row boat, one professional the other amateurish.

Basically why Macs cost more. But for most people, I would recommend looking at a MacBook Pro or something cheaper and portable, my desktop case weighs 45 pounds and new MacPro desktops start at around $12,000 now I think.

PCs are POS that are essentially broken when you get them with 150 things you need to set up and debug first before you can get the MS OS working smoothly. Did I mention my CPU and HDDs are all server grade and the CPU doesn't even need a fan blowing on it?

I'm getting tired of the whole MS gig.

As a follow up, I just noticed that you can buy old used Mac desktop computers, both in my style case with the big handles to the newer style that followed that looks like a circular column for a song, on eBay and Amazon. Just a few hundred dollars. Of course, they won't have all the features I mentioned, and are used and in unknown condition, but apparently there are lots of older Mac desktop out there cheap and I'm sure laptops as well.

Way WAY cheaper than buying one new.

Several years ago I had my only computer failure, the graphics card died, a famous brand but apparently the only part in the computer not made by Apple. I spent a couple hundred dollars and got a new graphics card, the one Apple originally supplied, and the guy who sold it to me had a store full of used and rebuilt Macs of all kinds.

Might be worth looking into.

As a follow up, I just noticed that you can buy old used Mac desktop computers, both in my style case with the big handles to the newer style that followed that looks like a circular column for a song, on eBay and Amazon. Just a few hundred dollars. Of course, they won't have all the features I mentioned, and are used and in unknown condition, but apparently there are lots of older Mac desktop out there cheap and I'm sure laptops as well.

Way WAY cheaper than buying one new.

Several years ago I had my only computer failure, the graphics card died, a famous brand but apparently the only part in the computer not made by Apple. I spent a couple hundred dollars and got a new graphics card, the one Apple originally supplied, and the guy who sold it to me had a store full of used and rebuilt Macs of all kinds.

Might be worth looking into.
Yup, good Mac Minis and old MacBooks (renewed) for less than $500, the Intel chip ones tend to be the least expensive. The one potential is the operating systems are due to expire or have already expired (no Apple support). All is not lost though, there are ways to upgrade even those old computers for free.

I still am using my home built gamer with Win11 and other than Microsoft's annoyingly trying to monetize every aspect of using their OS I've never had an issue like the OP apparently suffered. The only hardware problem I ran into was Bluetooth. I never installed a Bluetooth card until a couple of days ago.
Long time Windows people, you're going to have a slightly steep learning curve with Mac, it just takes some getting used to. For the slightly more determined ones Linux Mint on your older computers is another potential route to take. It's free and no you don't have to be a computer geek to use that user friendly distribution.
Just providing options, you all choose the path you want to take and some of us will be happy to help regardless of which direction you go.

Yup, good Mac Minis and old MacBooks (renewed) for less than $500, the Intel chip ones tend to be the least expensive. The one potential is the operating systems are due to expire or have already expired (no Apple support). All is not lost though, there are ways to upgrade even those old computers for free.

Actually, I've only upgraded my OS once from Snow Leopard to El Capitan and while there were improvements and advantages, I miss Snow Leopard as it had some great features lost to El Capitan.

I've been using WIN 11 Pro for a month and IMO it isn't as bad as many say. For home, I bought a new Kamrui AK1 mini computer ($159) that came with WIN 11 Pro installed. After setup, Microsoft popups appear for Office products and other programs ask you if you want them. I didn't and don't. No issue there. I'm not so happy with the new Outlook, but I'm getting used to it. AFAIK, the old version will be history in March

As for booting up, it's fast as hell. Actually it's faster than any of the WIN 10 setups I use. One thing that sucks with WIN 11 is having to sign in after sleep. That can be resolved by going into Settings>accounts> sign in options. I set it up with a PIN. Like a WIN 10 machine all I do is press space bar to wake it up.

Edit: I was wrong about when classic Outlook will be no more. Seems like I keep reading different datelines for it's demise...

Last edited:
Microsoft gives you 10 years of support. Apple gives more like 5 years, Google 7 years.

Sure, you can keep old Apple hardware working usefully past the expiration date, if you want to devote your life to being an Apple geek. No such devotion is needed with Microsoft. It just works.

Microsoft gives you 10 years of support. Apple gives more like 5 years, Google 7 years.

Sure, you can keep old Apple hardware working usefully past the expiration date, if you want to devote your life to being an Apple geek. No such devotion is needed with Microsoft. It just works.
Depends on your definition of "support".
Microsoft's definition of support is their ability to watch and record everything you do, and if you remove or work around their spyware, they will reinstall it within a few days.

I don't call that support.

And also where do you get that Apple only gives support for 5 years??
That is nonsense. Apple gives updates, on average, for 9 years.

Forum List

Back