Wimbledon 19

As pointed out by Eric above, Serena's response to BJK (not that a response was required) was totally beside the point. The point was, be a celebrity after you retire; if you want to play tennis, then get in shape, lose the 25 pounds, and play hard for a couple more years. "Fighting for equality" is bullshit on a number of different levels.

But even fat, she's still the best on the planet - the best there ever was.

I could hardly bear to watch. I so wanted Djokavic to win, but he kept making foolish mistakes, and I'll concede Federer played the better tennis. He comes over to me as sullen and entitled. During one press conference, he said to the journalist: "no one plays like me".

The Serb also did well against the overwhelming crowd support for Federer. That must have been dispiriting for him to deal with.

I was almost as delighted as he, in the end.

The triumph of two underdogs this past tennis weekend! :113:

As pointed out by Eric above, Serena's response to BJK (not that a response was required) was totally beside the point. The point was, be a celebrity after you retire; if you want to play tennis, then get in shape, lose the 25 pounds, and play hard for a couple more years. "Fighting for equality" is bullshit on a number of different levels.

Bludgeoning power is how I think of her. Versus elegant precision.

It's not just the power. It's the precision and a whole arsenal of great strokes to choose from.

Serena fights for equality when she is on the hot seat and it behooves her to hide behind her gender (as if she is being persecuted purely because she's woman).

I don't think fat Serena is anywhere near the best on the planet and the first top tier opponent she played at Wimbledon (Halep) ran rings around her. And in her prime I don't think Serena could have touched Steffi Graf, playing in her prime.
Graf was the absolute total package. She was a gazelle on court. Williams is a buffalo.

Serena fights for equality when she is on the hot seat and it behooves her to hide behind her gender (as if she is being persecuted purely because she's woman).

I don't think fat Serena is anywhere near the best on the planet and the first top tier opponent she played at Wimbledon (Halep) ran rings around her. And in her prime I don't think Serena could have touched Steffi Graf, playing in her prime.
Graf was the absolute total package.

There used to be a whole slew of American female quality players. What happened to them?

There used to be a whole slew of American female quality players. What happened to them?

American women are plentiful in the Top 100. Sloane Stephens continues to flirt with the Top 10 and Madison Keys continues to disappoint (she was going to be the next Davenport, oh well).

17 year old Amanda Anisimova and 20 year old Sofia Kenin will hopefully step in and contend for major titles. They are both on the verge of something great.

Edit: And of course Cori "Coco" Gauff. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I could hardly bear to watch. I so wanted Djokavic to win, but he kept making foolish mistakes, and I'll concede Federer played the better tennis. He comes over to me as sullen and entitled. During one press conference, he said to the journalist: "no one plays like me".

The Serb also did well against the overwhelming crowd support for Federer. That must have been dispiriting for him to deal with.

Unfortunately for Roger his forehand let him down in the tiebreakers. Novak won the big moments, especially down two championship points.

Quite an epic match.

Unfortunately for Roger his forehand let him down in the tiebreakers. Novak won the big moments, especially down two championship points.

Quite an epic match.

I'm rewatching some of it now.

What am I going to do with myself, now that Wimbledon is over?
You wait for the US Open and all the hard court tournaments that support it coming right up. Then, after that, you'll have an empty feeling but the Australian Open begins the tennis year soon afterwards.

I still play regularly so there's that too for me.

Forum List

Back