Willard "the rat' Mitt Romney pro/con

Honestly if you vote for Mitt you will get near the same policies as if you voted for Obama... I don't see why some people make such a big deal about the election. Romneycare/Obamacare. Can we list any politician alive closer to Obama through policy than Mitt?

At some point Mitt supported Obamacare, TARP, the Obama stimulus, the wars, Obama’s wars, the NDAA, homeland security and much much more…

Just like Obama once in office not a single person here can honestly believe Mitt would stick to his rhetoric, just as Bush and Obama didn't, they all shift very hard left and grow Government.

I'd vote for Romney based on the simple fact that he does not think America needs to be fundamentally transformed. And he also does not profess to have the power to stop the rising of the seas.

One, and only one. He's the lesser of two evils which actually stands a chance at being elected. That's basically what every election is about: who's going to screw things up the least?

Convince me why I should or shouldn't vote for Romney.
Try to limit to your top three reasons.

if you want to put something in the "clean" debate zone, perhaps your choice of thread title could be better.

respectfully, of course.

Is this your addition to the debate??
Or is it something else?

Last edited:
I don't know....there's just something about him. He reminds me of a used car salesman. I know that's not what you're looking for, and I apologize. No matter who wins in November, our country will survive it. But I just can't see turning the reigns back over to unabashed corporatists.

Yes, I know...Obama took corporate money too...there's not a candidate that can afford NOT to take corporate money and run a competitive, winning campaign. That's another debate though...

That's exactly what I'm looking for...pro's or con's.
Why I should or shouldn't.
Campaign reform would be another great debate.

I would say that his biggest pro is Romneycare. Here's why.

Obama got elected due in large part to the anti-Bush sentiment but also because he ran a great campaign largely focused on the pledge of bringing people together to get things done. I think we've clearly seen that that was a farce and Obama is only interested in bringing people together who already share the same views and they together would get things done despite all opposition.

Romney though: he was the republican governor of a very left leaning state. He signed Romneycare into law which was a pretty liberal piece of legislation and what we now know was the basis for Obamacare. You'd think the left would like Romney a little more for that.

So, the scary thing for conservatives is addressing whether or not he really believed in that legislation or not. Regardless, it shows that Romney is willing to work with the other side to get things done that his constituents want. I think that's more than you can say for his political opponent.

Last edited:
I don't know....there's just something about him. He reminds me of a used car salesman. I know that's not what you're looking for, and I apologize. No matter who wins in November, our country will survive it. But I just can't see turning the reigns back over to unabashed corporatists.

Yes, I know...Obama took corporate money too...there's not a candidate that can afford NOT to take corporate money and run a competitive, winning campaign. That's another debate though...

That's exactly what I'm looking for...pro's or con's.
Why I should or shouldn't.
Campaign reform would be another great debate.

You didn't give me kudos for my 'pro's'. :) (teasing)

But you did ask for each of us to give our first three priorities of why we support or do not support Mitt Romney. So while I agree that all good debate needs both pros and cons, those that gave those three priorities are the ones who I see are addressing the spirit of the O.P. Several here have done so providing pros and cons.

1. Romney's essentially endorsed the Ryan plan,

Good point and an excellent reason to vote for Romney.

which effectively destroys both Medicare and Social Security Insurance while ramping up spending for the military.

Unsupported. Edited.

Even with the dramatic cuts in social programs, Ryan's budget still scores high deficit spending because of massive tax cuts.

False.

newsspending580.jpg

Edited.

The fact is that the Ryan plan spend the same on Social Security as Obama proposed. The demagoguery you post is simply false.

{Of the $5 trillion in savings in the Ryan plan’s ten-year spending projections, compared with Obama’s, $352 billion would come from discretionary programs, $2.5 trillion from so-called entitlements, and $514 billion from interest costs. A big chunk of the savings would come from the repeal of the president’s health-care law ($1.6 trillion). As you can see, Social Security ($10.5 trillion) is untouched in the PTP.}

Obama's Entrepreneurial Communist Manifesto - Chuck Norris - Page 2

2. Romney foreign policy and national defense chops were put on display at several different times and came up extremely lacking.

Oh?

Did he fail to bow to Arab dictators?

Aside from his Olympic kerfuffle which really should have been a piece of cake for Romney, his cold war orientation toward Russia and China could prove as dangerous as Bush's. Even more so given the geopolitical climate. The middle east has changed in some very dramatic ways and the support of nations that sit on the security council is key to furthering American interests in the region.

Ah yes, Obama complaining of outsourcing to China is good, since he attacks American business and American entrepreneurs.

But Romney naming China an economic threat is "cold war rhetoric" since he fails to pillory America.

That and he was critical of Obama's statement that he would go after Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan. Until after Bin Laden was dead. Then Romney "evolved".

It's funny how the left speaks of "international law," until Dear Leader violates it and the sovereignty of a supposed ally - then it is of no concern.

Nixon violating the border of Cambodia? Impeachable.

Obama violating the border of Pakistan? Impeccable.

Edited.

3. Romney's business "acumen" seems to be the notion of "creative destruction". He was one of the architects of the outsourcing and offshoring that went up like gang busters during the Bush administration.

It appears that falsehood and demagoguery is literally the extent of your arguments.

He was a proponent of letting the Auto industry die (Until he again "evolved).

You mean, letting the UAW fail?

The industry was in no danger. Hyundai as owner of GM is actually more appealing to me than a fascist coalition of the UAW and the Federal Government.

This might have been turned to his advantage had he pointed out that he knows exactly what conditions send jobs overseas and knows how to change them in order to keep jobs here. But he basically just denied having anything to do with outsourcing.

Ah, a false dichotomy formed around a straw man. Edited.

4. Romney's time as governor shows a man that was interested in the job for 2 years..then got tired of it. His last 2 years..he didn't do much but explore the possiblities of his next steps. His approval rating was so low in Massachusettes, he decided not to run again, focusing his sites on a Presidential run. And his record in Massachusettes is mixed at best. But his crowing achievement, RomneyCare, he's basically disowned.

Shows to whom? A die hard partisan with zero objectivity?

Honestly if you vote for Mitt you will get near the same policies as if you voted for Obama... I don't see why some people make such a big deal about the election. Romneycare/Obamacare. Can we list any politician alive closer to Obama through policy than Mitt?

Good point, Pol Pot is indeed dead.

Ah but Nancy Pelosi, Hugo Chavez, and Daniel Ortega are all alive, so yes, there are many who are closer to Obama than Romney.

At some point Mitt supported Obamacare, TARP, the Obama stimulus, the wars, Obama’s wars, the NDAA, homeland security and much much more…

Not in actuality.

Just like Obama once in office not a single person here can honestly believe Mitt would stick to his rhetoric, just as Bush and Obama didn't, they all shift very hard left and grow Government.

Of course not.

Romney has one job, get the Bolshevik out of office before he does any more damage.

Heck, if I could get a better return on my savings, for which I had already paid US Fed taxes on, I would have a stash in the Caymans...or wherever!

https://www.weeklystandard.com/blog...ug-companies-and-state-bank-india_648350.html

Disclosure forms reveal that Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a member of Congress from Florida, previously held funds with investments in Swiss banks, foreign drug companies, and the state bank of India. This revelation comes mere days after the Democratic chair attacked presumptive Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney for holding money in Swiss bank accounts in the past.

"Americans need to ask themselves, why does an American businessman need a Swiss bank account and secretive investments like that?" the DNC chair, a chief surrogate for President Obama's reelection team, said on Fox News Sunday two days ago. "Just something, a thought, that I'd like to leave folks with."

Nancy Pelosi made $1-5 million on Asian investments | The Daily Caller

According to Pelosi’s 2011 financial disclosure statement, the Democratic House Minority Leader received between $1 million and $5 million in partnership income from ”Matthews International Capital Management LLC,” a group that emphasizes that it has a “A Singular Focus on Investing in Asia.” A quick trip to the company website reveals a featured post extolling the virtues of outsourcing.

Last edited:
Convince me why I should or shouldn't vote for Romney.
Try to limit to your top three reasons.

Not...

Big government

anti gun

The father of Obama care.........

Gun Rights: Obama, Mitt Romney's Views Have Evolved

Gun Rights: Obama, Mitt Romney's Views Have Evolved

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney both have softened their positions on gun restrictions over the years. As they expressed shock and sorrow over the bloodshed at a Colorado movie theater, neither suggested that tougher gun control could make a difference, a notion that has faded from political debate.

Romney signed a ban on assault weapons as Massachusetts governor. But as the presumptive Republican nominee, he now bills himself as the candidate who will protect gun owners' rights.

Obama called for reinstating the federal ban on assault weapons during his 2008 presidential campaign. But since his election, he hasn't sought to get that done or pushed other gun control proposals, either.

1. Romney broke the Law:
Animal abuse
assault
pretending to be a police officer
lying about running Bain

2. His lack of class embarrassed the US in:
England
Israel
Poland

3. His policies of:
Less Police Less Firemen and less Teacher
End Medicare
Tax cuts for billionaires
Flip Flopping

I will provide links to any one of these if you have a question or can't find it on your own. Edited. Stop with the Put Downs.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Romney broke the Law:
Animal abuse
assault
lying about running Bain

England
Israel
Poland

3. His policies of:
End Medicare
Flip Flopping

I will provide links to any one of these if you have a question or can't find it on your own. People at the USMB don't seem to know how to use "Google".

Bring them on please!
No opinion blogs, real quotes from real people...facts...just the facts.

1) Romney has shown himself through his actions in the private sector, at the Olympics, and as Governor as someone who can eliminate waste, corruption, and balance a budget. Three things that are vital for the next President to do.

2) Romney has shown himself to be competant and effective leader because of the experience previously mentioned.

3) Romney is a moral man who cares about people and willing to serve them despite the media trying to paint the opposite picture. He rescued people from a capsized boat. He organized his employees to help find the missing daughter of a coworker. He has a steller record of community service and charitable giving.

1. I believe his lack of transparency with his tax returns to be symptomatic of a larger problem, as is the stashing of monies offshore in tax havens.

Based on what evidence exactly? I don't have any of my cousins tax returns. Should I suspect him of stashing money offshore in tax havens? I'm fairly certain he would be surprised by that suspicion.

2. He has clearly and repeatedly stated that he wants to give millionaires and billionaires even deeper tax cuts, despite the fact that they've had tax cuts for a very long time, and it has yet to lead to jobs.

We had nearly full employment from the time the economy recovered from the Clinton recession until 2007. And you are inaccurately stating Mitt's position. He wants to cut everyone's taxes. Because they are just too high. Ben Franklin stated that 10% of a person's income would be oppressive. He'd be absolutely mortified by the tax rate nowadays.

In order to argue for the Progressive Income Tax amendment to be passed. Politicians promised it wouldnt go above 3% for everyone. Needless to say, that lasted a whole year or so. I argue that since the PIT was passed on faulty promises we should repeal it and put a flat tax in it's place. That way all Americans whether rich or poor would be treated exactly the same. Everyone would pay their fair share.

3. People joke about the flip flopping, but I truly have NO idea where he stands.

I would recommend listening to his speeches. They are pretty consistant.

So what makes Romney a corportist and Obama not?

And why is being a corporatist so darn evil?

Though he is light years above Bush II, I have not read enough, nor heard enough to either promote, nor critique. The conventions should be earlier, so that the two major candidates can get to their actual platforms.

1. Romney broke the Law:
Animal abuse
assault
lying about running Bain

Blatantly false. But for the sake of argument, how does that justify ignoring Obama's crimes? You know, the ones he freely admitted to in his books?

England
Israel
Poland

Odd, sounds alot more like Obama than Romney.

3. His policies of:
End Medicare
Flip Flopping

1) Federal government doesnt control the amounts of police, firemen, or teachers
2) Romney has never made it a policy to end medicare.
3) His policy of tax cuts for everyone targets, well, everyone, not billionaries.
4) That's not a policy.

Last edited:
Obama has committed no crimes, you are thinking of the first US President with criminal convictions, GWB. And the dog on the roof story is so weak, it makes Romney look like St. Peter. The recent flubs in the UK, Poland, and Israel humanized him.

Forum List

Back