Willard Mitt Romney

In my family it was because the first name was an honorary name. My uncle "Wis" was actually Willis...but went by "Wis" or "Ross" which was his middle name.

My brother was named after my dad, but went by "Ross" as his given name (Uncle Wis had died, so there was no confusion)

My sons were given family names (one was named after Ross)....and went by their middle names to avoid confusion. My nephew was given a family name and went by his middle name because that's just what we did..and it was a pretty name...Seth.

And so it goes. My brother and I are both on our second group of young-uns and you know, I completely forgot to call my youngest boy by his middle name! So he goes by his first name, "Wallace" instead of his middle name, "Miller".

Both family names. Lol.

Does that make everything clear?

pegwinn said:
Ya know how farmers get a pay raise? Extend the mailbox by another inch. Problem with Ag is that the fed is deep into regulating and subsidizing as a price control measure. If we drop Ag, food prices will rise. I can live with that, but someone who is poor will have problems. Also, USDA is the agency that makes sure you are not eating tainted meat, and that milk gets homogenized. At least, USDA can be justified via the commerce clause without a big stretch.

If we dropped all our subsides (including import tariffs and quotas), I contend that we would see a net decease in food prices. While certain crops- particularly cotton, corn, wheat and tobacco- benefit from price-distorting direct subsidies, most crops, particularly healthy crops like lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc, etc recieve no subsides. These crops wouldn't be affected by cutting subsidies. Furthermore, if we eliminated import tariffs on agricultural products then American consumers could buy the same high quality foodstuffs at lower prices, benefiting both the poor and middle class.

And you're forgetting...it's because of these subsidies that we're able to support our food stamp program.

Eliminate subsidies and bid adieu to welfare....

I agree that welfare isn't working out but what do we do about the folks who are going to end up going hungry without it?

If there's lots of work and jobs it can be better supported - but times are tough. A lot of people are going to get stuck holding the bag right now - what about them?

Don't get rid of subsidies and continue to issue fs benefits.
That's called job security for some....

.... His first name is Willard - Willard Mitt Romney.
Do you recall the movie 'Willard' with Ernest Borgnine?
It was about a social misfit named 'Willard' who had an attraction for rats.
He talked to the rats and fed them.
It's a horror story.
Sort of what I imagine having Willard 'Mitt' Romney in the White House.

Is that the best that you can do? Pitiful.:eusa_whistle:

If we dropped all our subsides (including import tariffs and quotas), I contend that we would see a net decease in food prices. While certain crops- particularly cotton, corn, wheat and tobacco- benefit from price-distorting direct subsidies, most crops, particularly healthy crops like lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc, etc recieve no subsides. These crops wouldn't be affected by cutting subsidies. Furthermore, if we eliminated import tariffs on agricultural products then American consumers could buy the same high quality foodstuffs at lower prices, benefiting both the poor and middle class.

I will bow out on subsidy issues since I honestly don't know much about the various programs. I live in cotton country (Lubbock Texas) and this year was a record setter. I've heard locally that subsidies go down as the yield and quality goes up. So, the farmers around here are still not staying up at night wondering how they will ever spend that money.

I agree that welfare isn't working out but what do we do about the folks who are going to end up going hungry without it?

If there's lots of work and jobs it can be better supported - but times are tough. A lot of people are going to get stuck holding the bag right now - what about them?

There are lots of jobs. Illegals are currently doing the jobs that people on welfare don't want to do. They may not have a corner office with a secretary who has obvious assets.... But, it beats sitting at the workforce commission bitching about all the illegals working.

Subsidies exist to supplement farmers so poor people can afford food.

Eliminate subsidies, food is going to go up.

Omg.

They're stupid, too, according to some....

So if we reduce food, increase the price and make more ethanol...thereby contaminating ground water...chances are we might just bump them out of existence altogether.

Subsidies exist to supplement farmers so poor people can afford food.

Eliminate subsidies, food is going to go up.

Subsidies exist to make farmers and food processors even richer then they should be. Only on crops subsidized via direct payments to farmers- namely corn, wheat, cotton and I believe soy- do poor people benefit. However, even after the ag price spike of this past year these crops are still at near-historical low prices. Furthermore, crops protected by trade barriers- namely dairy and sugar- will see their cost decrease as new, more efficient competitors can finally enter the market. Subsides and barriers are just colossal waste of government time and taxpayer money.

If the goal is to help the poor, then by all means extend the food stamp program. Don't waste it on useless subsidies to farmers who, especially this year, don't need them.

Forum List

Back