Will Republicans win 2016?

2016: Republicans or Liberals?

• Total voters

I would hope that the American electorate were sophisticated enough to realize that the economy is just a bit too complicated to simplistically blame or give credit to one political party or the other.

That type of shallow, binary thought is best left to political partisans.

And I may be right, since the electorate has shown that neither party is particularly favored overall.

Agreed... Only the RW hardliners are really trying that...

Everyone else knows that is was a Bipartisan Screw Up... And the Tea Parties present policies would have made them worse...

Left wingers aren't blaming Bush?

Really?

Of course they are... But especially on this board there is more Hard RW...

Actually I would say that there is a few reasons the collapse happened.
-Housing Crisis
-Overheated Economy
-Personal Credit

Any reasonable investigation has been vilified by the Tea Party guys... They still think there is a Mainstream Media Bias to the Left...

Republicans will hold the House and lose the Senate and White House in 2016

More Republican screwing of the middle class.
Is the middle class better off or worse now than the day Obama took office?
Yeah, tell us about it. Dems are the party of fuck you.
Good question

Where were we before Obama became President?
The middle class was being layed off at 770,000 jobs a month. We have added 200,000 or more a month all year now.....that is a million jobs a month difference

But . . .

New U.S. economy Part-time and temp job markets explode - Washington Times

The new economic reality in the United States is this: The workforce has shifted from full-timers to part-timers.

On top of that, more Americans receive food stamps than work full time, Fox News reported.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics found that an estimated 28 million peolpe in America now work at part-time jobs. And as the Washington Examiner noted, a record level of workers in the nation now hold temporary positions — about 2.7 million — that are obtained through a job placement service.

The American Staffing Association reported that in the first quarter of 2013 staffing agencies employed about 2 percent of non-farm workers in the nation. That’s up by 2.9 percent from the similar quarter in 2012. And comparing June 2013 with June 2012, the number of Americans working at positions obtained through temp agencies jumped 6.7 percent.

“Nearly one-fifth of all jobs gained since the recession ended have been temporary,” said Ashe Schow in the Examiner report.

At the same time, full-time jobs decreased by 240,000 positions.
Please don't quote the Washington Times, you are better than that

Any way that right wing propaganda spins it, we are MUCH better than we were in 2008. It is not even close
A million jobs a month is better no matter how you spin it
3.9% GDP growth is better than the negative GDP
26 trillion in additional household wealth is huge

That article used valid sources, so there is no reason for you to make such a statement. The claims made in the article are true. I see it in my own community. Also, employers are offering less money for the same jobs. This is because the economy sucks and they can. There are more people than ever collecting benefits too, and there are those people who are not being counted anymore because they aren't eligible to collect unemployment benefits anymore. Only those collecting unemployment benefits will be counted as "unemployed." However, people out there who are looking for jobs are going to be very disappointed.

I would vote for a third party not listed in the poll. One that best represents my beliefs.

Libertarians?
More than likely. Democrats and Republicans claim to care about all this stuff but it seems like they're all talk and no action.

I do respect your choice because I sympathize with this party as well. But they have a significant drawback that is kinda isolationism. In our rough times the humanity needs a politician-interventionist.
The World Gendarme has some job of work on overthrowing tyrants.

The truth running a proper fiscal policy is not all about cutting taxes.

Look at Europe, up until the Banking Crisis (when all bets were off) they run fiscal conservative policies. Why? because we don't have endless credit.

We are all meant to be under 60% under the Maastricht Debt Treaty and we were holding that until the banking crisis..

Ideally, The way it works is simple in good times to take from the economy to slow the boom and in recession you spend to drive the economy through the slump. This is basic macroeconomics.
Some countries are better doing this than others, Switzerland and the Scandinavians are generally good. Ireland lost the run of themselves in the good times. But just like a football coach some plays a runs and others are passes...

Bush made a dogs ear of this by cutting taxes during a war.In a war you are already spending and borrowing money to pay for the war. He hid this in Emergency War Funding which was left off the books.
Obama ended this and put war funding back on the books:
The Obameter End the abuse of supplemental budgets for war PolitiFact

So even without the banking crisis the method of accounting for wars was screwed.

us_deficit_nom.png

So Obama was dealt a bad hand from his predecessor. He took control and has reduce the amount needed. US is now borrowing less that it did in 2003 or 2004 when the GOP had total control (per GDP).

Excellent post.

It would be fascinating to see an impartial overview of the state of the economy each president inherited during the past 100 years. I suspect no president has ever inherited the mess Obama inherited, and that nust be taken into account when evaluating his presidency.

That is not to blame the meltdown entirely on rhe GOP either - but merely to be objective about what Obma started with in comparison to those who came before him.

Well, if Obama was not cut out to handle the job, then perhaps he should not have run for president. After all, it was HE who said he could fix everything. :D

Good question

The middle class was being layed off at 770,000 jobs a month. We have added 200,000 or more a month all year now.....that is a million jobs a month difference

But . . .

The new economic reality in the United States is this: The workforce has shifted from full-timers to part-timers.

On top of that, more Americans receive food stamps than work full time, Fox News reported.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics found that an estimated 28 million peolpe in America now work at part-time jobs. And as the Washington Examiner noted, a record level of workers in the nation now hold temporary positions — about 2.7 million — that are obtained through a job placement service.

The American Staffing Association reported that in the first quarter of 2013 staffing agencies employed about 2 percent of non-farm workers in the nation. That’s up by 2.9 percent from the similar quarter in 2012. And comparing June 2013 with June 2012, the number of Americans working at positions obtained through temp agencies jumped 6.7 percent.

“Nearly one-fifth of all jobs gained since the recession ended have been temporary,” said Ashe Schow in the Examiner report.

Any way that right wing propaganda spins it, we are MUCH better than we were in 2008. It is not even close

That article used valid sources, so there is no reason for you to make such a statement. The claims made in the article are true. I see it in my own community. Also, employers are offering less money for the same jobs. This is because the economy sucks and they can. There are more people than ever collecting benefits too, and there are those people who are not being counted anymore because they aren't eligible to collect unemployment benefits anymore. Only those collecting unemployment benefits will be counted as "unemployed." However, people out there who are looking for jobs are going to be very disappointed.
Any way you cut it....Bush lost 5 million jobs of all levels

That is the economic situation Obama inherited. Losing 750,000 jobs a month and then you bitch because the 200,000 plus jobs Obama is adding are not all executive positions. The market rose from 6900 to over 17000. Five quarters of negative GDP under Bush

Can you SERIOUSLY claim the economy s not better?

Good question

But . . .

That is the economic situation Obama inherited. Losing 750,000 jobs a month and then you bitch because the 200,000 plus jobs Obama is adding are not all executive positions. The market rose from 6900 to over 17000. Five quarters of negative GDP under Bush

I'm not sticking up for Bush. Yes, the economy is modestly better. I still wonder if things wouldn't have been better if the government had not involved itself in bail outs and other such things to begin with though.

Good question

But . . .

I'm not sticking up for Bush. Yes, the economy is modestly better. I still wonder if things wouldn't have been better if the government had not involved itself in bail outs and other such things to begin with though.
The banks were failing like dominoes. Let them fail and pick up the economic pieces was not a viable option. Bush knew it and so did Obama.
Only rightwing fanatics seriously believe the way to handle an economic collapse is to walk away

But . . .

The banks were failing like dominoes. Let them fail and pick up the economic pieces was not a viable option. Bush knew it and so did Obama.
Only rightwing fanatics seriously believe the way to handle an economic collapse is to walk away

That is not true at all. There are plenty of people from all sides of the spectrum who were and are against TARP, especially on those who's own poor business practices caused the problems to begin with! Why am I not surprised that you would be a supporter of TARP. :rolleyes-41:

Good question

But . . .

The average person believes the recession never ended. And with good reason. Cut out the top 2% that Democrats favor and income and wealth have been stagnant for 6years. The average person is worse off than the day Bush left office.
The jobs being created are low wage part time jobs. Obama is the McJobs President.

That is not true at all. There are plenty of people from all sides of the spectrum who were and are against TARP, especially on those who's own poor business practices caused the problems to begin with! Why am I not surprised that you would be a supporter of TARP. :rolleyes-41:
Nutwinger supports Obama's TARP but condemns Bush's TARP. He is in favor of Wall St Bailouts while criticizing Republicans for bailing out Wall St.
Basically it's this:
Dems-GOOD!
GOP-BAD!
It really isnt any more reasoned than that.

Good question

But . . .

We have had the slowest recovery from a recession in the last 60 years due to Obama's failed policies! The SM took a nosedive in the Fall of 08 when it became obvious to investors that The Kenyan was going to be elected.

Because the alternatives were unimaginable

Why not let everything collapse and then pick up the pieces?

Good question

But . . .

We have had the slowest recovery from a recession in the last 60 years due to Obama's failed policies! The SM took a nosedive in the Fall of 08 when it became obvious to investors that The Kenyan was going to be elected.
It s the worse collapse in 75 years
You really want to talk about a stock market that the Kenyan raised from 6900 to over 17000?

Because the alternatives were unimaginable

Why not let everything collapse and then pick up the pieces?

I think you are exaggerating. Sure, things wouldn't have been great for a while, but other businesses would take the place of those failed businesses. It would certainly not be the end of times. Even with all of that, some of those businesses ended up failing anyways!!!

What's going to happen in 2016? The Dems are going to take the White House, re-take the Senate and make large gains in the House.

Why? Simple.......................over the next 2 years people are going to really understand the ACA and vote against anyone who says they want to repeal it.

Additionally, the GOP is going to get even crazier in their opposition to Obama, the people are going to see it and get tired of it, and then they will vote the GOP out.

Obamacare is nothing more than an increased spending program to make our situation worse, not better. If that is what the people want, they are voting to ensure their own demise as a country.

Mark

Mark,

Obama has decreased spending (Federal Spending in Trillions):
2009 24.40
2010 23.11
2011 23.19
2012 21.77
2013 20.57
2014 20.22

So you basically wrong. Obama is just like Clinton in decreasing spending...
The 2009 Budget is Bush's last Budget....

Obama decreased? Or did the GOP congress force spending cuts? Was it called reconciliation? I don't recall.

Never the less, most spending is now mandatory, and the CBO has yet to show us even one study where we can get our budget under control without deep cuts in social spending.

The current projection adds 100 trillion to our debt. Look at it this way. It took up until Reagan for our debt to total one trillion dollars.

That is 200 and some years in our country's history. As of today, Obama has added about 6 trillion dollars.

You aren't worried about that? Don't people realize that the gravy train we ride today HAS TO STOP, or the country will cease to exist ala the USSR?

Mark

Well lets start... Bush requested the 2009 Budget, so he added the 6 trillion.

Now you accused Obama of increasing spending, I just pointed out it went down. Suddenly congress gets all that credit...

So when you thought it was increasing it was Obama but if it went down it is all Congress...

On a $100 trillion debt, Can you give me a link for $100 trillion debt? I think you are again misinformed.

I am sorry but looking at your post, your assumptions are wrong.

Bush's 09 budget added the six trillion dollar debt? You have to explain that to me. BTW, when I talk of reconciliation, I deal in what actually occurred. We know that reconciliation happened. Now, you can show me where Obama cut the budget to lower the deficit on his own accord.

As to our projected debt...

A National Debt Of 14 Trillion Try 211 Trillion NPR

Mark

Republicans will hold the House and lose the Senate and White House in 2016

Good question

But . . .

Numbers sometimes lie. The Dems didn't lose the last election because people were happy about the economy.

When people vote, you get the true mood of what they think about the economy.

Mark

You could be right. So then, what does the country face if you are right? A debt that will overtake us?

If the people vote for spending without constraint, they will get what they deserve. God help us.

I reject your premise. We don't have a spending problem. We have a taxing problem. Mostly because we went ahead and put a major war on a credit card instead of raising taxes and selling war bonds like we normally would do if we had a war.

If you look at our projected unfunded liabilities, you would not reject my premise. My premise is simply math.

And math doesn't lie.

As to the war, in the big picture, it doesn't amount to a molehill of our mountain.

Mark

Good question

But . . .

The question becomes...better than what? Better than a recession? Absolutely. Better than before the recession? Most likely not.

The jobs being created are low paying and part time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/b...low-wage-jobs-than-better-paid-ones.html?_r=0

The stock market is being artificially propped up by quantitative easing.

Our economy is built on a house of cards and the American people realize it.

Mark

Again, I have to conclude you are some kind of retard. I think that dog looks smarter than you.

We have a slow recovery because this was the worst crash in 80 years. And because the 1%ers weren't held to account for their role in it, they took advantage.

Forum List

Back