Why we need to nationalize our energy sector

should we nationalize our energy sector?

• Yes

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Other, with explanation

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
SOME things that governmenht do, they do very well.

I do not think that nationaling the assets of oil compnaies is remotely a good idea, though.

There might be one way to test that theory, though., and no nationalization of private peroperty is necessary

The USA still owns plenty of land and offshore locations where there's oil.

Instead of selling the right to drill to a private company, let the government try to set up its own oil company.

I suspect that the oil won't be brought up out of the ground any more chearply than the private companies do it.

My guess is that it will not only be more expensive, it will actually take longer to drill, and end up being more harmful to the environment.

I do not think that nationaling the assets of oil compnaies is remotely a good idea, though.

There might be one way to test that theory, though., and no nationalization of private peroperty is necessary

Instead of selling the right to drill to a private company, let the government try to set up its own oil company.

I suspect that the oil won't be brought up out of the ground any more chearply than the private companies do it.

by nationalizing, the prices would absolutely go, down because if we the people being the govenment decide that oil needs to break even and the government doesn't need to make a profit then the price will definitally go down. Gas will become cheaper when it comes to the profit margin.

:rofl:

That is the same theory they had when Medicare was created, how has that worked out so far?

If you don't understand the economic theory you really have no business suggesting what the Government should control and should not.

Explain to me this then...If I have two entities selling gas to me, A & B, entity A needs no profit, and entity B needs to make a profit, how does entity A sell me gas at a higher rate?

What makes you think the government will not need a profit? They will need a fund to pay for the potential disasters, another fund to aid exploration and development, another one to lobby Congress for easier regulations on drilling, another one to help pay for roads, and so on ad infinitum. They will call it a tax, but it will be the equivalent of a profit if you look at it as a business.

I'd go out on a limb and say the oil industry is already nationalized.

It's become pretty obvious now that the government will financially back stop big companies in the event that they face bankruptcy. So if Exxon makes a bunch of stupid mistakes and loses their ass, our tax dollars will prop them up anyway.

This way, we don't actually have to CALL it nationalization.

^ this...

but then...

what's that Mussolini referred to as the perfect merger between the corporation and the state?
Starts with F and ends with aggotry. I mean ascism.

by nationalizing, the prices would absolutely go, down because if we the people being the govenment decide that oil needs to break even and the government doesn't need to make a profit then the price will definitally go down. Gas will become cheaper when it comes to the profit margin.

Would it?

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Why?

Show us the numbers and how the government would insure that there was enough energy and how they would fairly share it.

To think that government can't run the energy sector means several things. One every politician that ever gets elected is out to screw the American population by running energy into the ground effectively destroying America. Or you believe that the government is an evil entity that is out for our destruction. Or you believe that the greed inherent in man is so strong that there is no way someone with that much power is trustworthy. Is that what you are thinking when you say the government can't possibly run our energy sector? If this is the case revolution is our only option, because our government is beyond repair or salvation. I would like to think otherwise, and let them prove revolution is the only option.

an inept government or a handful of people running the oil industry bent on making as much money as possible all the while turning their heads to problems their greed is causing. Or the other handfull of people who run opec who hate us? I still believe that the govenment energy is the way to go as a matter of national security.

The solution is right at your fingertips.
All your Government needs to do is allow for more domestic production.

more domestic production will not lower prices significanly enough. Look at any of your bills, do they ever go down? they say the rate stays the same because blah,blah,blah(pick any lame ass excuse). It will be the same for gas, history proves it.

Ok then, what about subsidising the industry through tax breaks?
Surely then prices will come down?

The solution is right at your fingertips.
All your Government needs to do is allow for more domestic production.

more domestic production will not lower prices significanly enough. Look at any of your bills, do they ever go down? they say the rate stays the same because blah,blah,blah(pick any lame ass excuse). It will be the same for gas, history proves it.

Ok then, what about subsidising the industry through tax breaks?
Surely then prices will come down?

Look at your bills, nothing comes down, there is always an excuse. If the government runs it we can look at the books, under the freedom of information act if we really need to. We can decide how best to run it. Let the people be active in their government, we have the technology. Are we as Americans that untrustable that we can't trust one another to hold votes on line? Everyone has a SS#, and access to the public library if needed. This would be just too easy to do.

Would it?

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Why?

Show us the numbers and how the government would insure that there was enough energy and how they would fairly share it.

To think that government can't run the energy sector means several things. One every politician that ever gets elected is out to screw the American population by running energy into the ground effectively destroying America. Or you believe that the government is an evil entity that is out for our destruction. Or you believe that the greed inherent in man is so strong that there is no way someone with that much power is trustworthy. Is that what you are thinking when you say the government can't possibly run our energy sector? If this is the case revolution is our only option, because our government is beyond repair or salvation. I would like to think otherwise, and let them prove revolution is the only option.

To answer the points you think you are making.

1. Most politicians are out only to line their own pockets. They might not be out to ruin the economy, but they are not out to help it either.
  2. The government is controlled by a bunch of people out to make themselves richer in the short term. That does not make the government evil, but it doesn't make them good either.
  3. Power corrupts. If you doubt that look at Obama.

Forum List

Back