Why vote?

I don't know of any particular thread, flasher. But if you don't vote, you get what you deserve. If your views differ from Kerry, Favor Bush and you don't Vote, you deserve Kerry as a president if he wins. The reverse works as well. If you truely feel that Kerry's views reflect your own more closely than that of Bush's and you don't vote, your fault for not listening to your own voice.

This is the problem with the 3rd parties. They get what they deserve because they think they can't win so why "Throw away their vote." I hate that term. You never throw away your vote if you vote. Your vote is your opinion. Not voting is like saying that you have no opinion on the matter and don't care what happens to your country.

Our country's 2 party's have different world views, dogma, values, views on what the Constitution says, what the branches of Gov have for function and authority.

The 2nd Ammendment is the classic example. But before you pick a side in the argument you need a little background in the debates around the writing, signing and modification of the Constitution. As well as the definition of words.

BTW, there is no defensible argument that the founders did not want you to have access and unregulated private ownership of quality firearms for protection & lethal resistance against non american people, bad american people and the US government itself. Check for yourself.

I merely select it as an example, because there are two very different views as well as some moderation in between on the subject, and it falls pretty much right down party lines.

nycflasher said:
Can someone point me to a thread on the importance of voting? Thanks.

Personally I think that those that bother to inform themselves of the issues and candidates postions should vote, I wish those that just go 'partisan' would stay home. Unfortunately that isn't what happens, on both sides.

For me "issues," plural is the key. I have voted Democratic, though mostly Republican. I have voted for judges based on names, I admit that, but how the hell does one decide which judge to vote for? (I read the bar assoc. ratings, but that is a scary trip too.)

I would never vote for a President based on their being 'Christian' or only on 'prolife' or only on 'taxes/or not'. Now I will admit that the WOT is strongly influencing my thought processes this election, though it's not the only reason I'll vote for GW. It's also not the Only reason I would vote against Kerry.

Now, with that said, if you can't figure out why to vote, don't. Thanks.

nycflasher said:
Can someone point me to a thread on the importance of voting? Thanks.

Given your politics, I'd prefer that you didn't vote! :D

Seriously, though, democracy is only as good as you make it. Don't participate and you have no influence. Participate and maybe you'll elect someone who agrees with your political views.

Forum List

Back