November 2003

Jimmyeatworld

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2004
America
Just for fun, I took a look back at some old posts. I came across a really interesting thread from November of last year talking about who would get the Democratic nomination. Some of these are pretty funny in hindsight.

From gop-jeff: First, Dean came out and flip-flopped his position on federal funding, because he has so much cash that he realizes that he would be held back by the federal funding limits.
Second, Dean has taken the liberal high road, which is fine for the nomination, but the majority of voters are not going to vote for McGovern/Mondale Lite. Take Wes "I'm-for-the-War-no-I'm-against-the-War-no-I-don't-know-where-I-stand-on=the-War" Clark as the VP, great, it's not going to make a lick of difference.

Still, all things considered, Dean, Clark, Gephardt, and Lieberman seem to be the top four. Edwards is a no-name nationally, Braun and Sharpton have a snowball's chance in hell, Kerry is trying to out-left Dean, but it won't work, and Kucinich is being openly supported by Green Party grassroots.

My guess is Dean gets the nomination, and either Lieberman or Clark gets the VP nod.

From X.P. Alidocious: Well, I really think it'll be Hillary. Until recently, I didn't think she'd
run this time, but the media keeps dropping "hints." I'm reading
them as build up.

I could be wrong, but the other dems are looking rather weak
right now, with the exception of Dean, who doesn't really
seem to be a favorite with party leaders. She'd be a more
viable candidate.

From AmericanLiberal: XP, you are right the centrist Democrats have desperately been scrambling for an "anyone but Dean" candidate. Here are their options:

Lieberman - pretender
Kerry - contender, quickly becoming a pretender
Edwards - long race, no traction, polls have him losing to Bush in his home state
Gephardt - almost nobody takes him seriously; the fact that SEIU refused to endorse him is a huge embarassment
Clarck - pretender. he made a big splash then sunk like a rock. he's running for Secretary of Defense, not president.

So Hillary could get drawn (maybe dragged) in by the centrists. However I have not heard anything about her throwing her hat in the ring and every day that passes puts her at a bigger fundraising and organizing disadvantage.

From acludem: Howard Dean is not the typical northeastern liberal candidate in the Michael Dukakis mold - that is John Kerry.

From MtnBiker: Aren't the Democrats suppose to be the party of the small guy? Why are the having a hard time collecting hard money from individuals?

Well, just a sampling of the posts. I laughed out loud on that next to last one.

Wow, acludem was right. That's new, as I would rarely describe him as 'right' either on point of fact or politically.

That being said, I held my tongue, but I had a feeling some no name (well, not thought to be in the top 5, anyway) would come from behind and oust Dean, since he's a nutjob. I knew it was over after the screech. However, one thing I noticed that was on Rush Limbaugh is that the Democratic party seems to be stabbing itself in the back. I'm thinking they wanted Bush to stay the incumbent so Hillary could run in 2008. Looks like they've changed their minds, now, but it wouldn't surprise me if some pretty bad stuff about Kerry found its way to the press a week before the election...

Hobbit said:
Wow, acludem was right. That's new, as I would rarely describe him as 'right' either on point of fact or politically.

That being said, I held my tongue, but I had a feeling some no name (well, not thought to be in the top 5, anyway) would come from behind and oust Dean, since he's a nutjob. I knew it was over after the screech. However, one thing I noticed that was on Rush Limbaugh is that the Democratic party seems to be stabbing itself in the back. I'm thinking they wanted Bush to stay the incumbent so Hillary could run in 2008. Looks like they've changed their minds, now, but it wouldn't surprise me if some pretty bad stuff about Kerry found its way to the press a week before the election...

The way this campaign has gone so far, I don't doubt anything.

Forum List

Back