Why Professors Object to Being Recorded

American_Jihad

Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
They don't want the public to know how they teach your children, bad for funding...
Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
February 22, 2017
Dennis Prager
orange-coast-college-recording.jpg

After the election of Donald Trump as president, a professor at Orange Coast College in California, Olga Perez Stable Cox, went into an extended hate rant against the president-elect. Among other things, she described Trump's election as an "act of terrorism," labeled him a white supremacist and called Vice President-elect Mike Pence "one of the most anti-gay humans in this country."

And this wasn't even a political science class in which one might expect political talk, no matter how irresponsible. Cox is a professor of human sexuality.

When a student who recorded the diatribe posted the recording on social media, the professor's union, the Coast Federation of Educators, AFT local chapter 1911, said on Facebook: "This is an illegal recording without the permission of the instructor. The student will be identified and may be facing legal action."

According to the union, the recording "violated the professor's course syllabus, the Coast Community College District Code of Student Conduct, and the California Educational Code (sic), section 78907, which (exists) to provide a robust, learning environment for all students irrespective of their opinions."

The aforementioned California Education Code section states, "The use by any person, including a student, of any electronic listening or recording device in any classroom without the prior consent of the instructor is prohibited."

The American Association of University Professors has long opposed unauthorized recording and public posting of what professors say in classrooms.

But there is another reason.

Most professors objecting to being recorded know on some level that they are persuasive only when their audience is composed largely of very young people just out of high school. They know that if their ideas are exposed to adults, they may be revealed as intellectual lightweights.

Students therefore need to understand that when professors object to being recorded, it is a statement of contempt for them. The professors are, in effect, saying to their students: "Listen. I can get away with this intellectually shallow, emotion-based propaganda when you are the only people who actually hear it. You aren't wise enough to perceive it as such. But if people over 21 years of age hear it, I'm toast."

All rules governing the recording of conversations without permission should apply to a professor meeting privately with a student.

But when professors stand in front of a class, they are in the public domain. Moreover, the public pays at least part of these professors' salary at virtually every university. We therefore have a right, and even a duty, to know what professors say publicly in classrooms.

In fact, I would encourage every student who cares about truth and intellectual honesty to record what their professors say in class. I would also encourage every parent to find out for what they are paying. And I would encourage professors to record themselves in order to protect themselves against doctored material.

Any professor who is not ashamed of what he or she is saying in class should welcome being recorded.

And any student taking a class with a professor who objects to being recorded should know that this objection is almost always equivalent to the professor saying: "I want you to hear what I say in class because I'm quite confident that you can't differentiate between instruction and indoctrination. But if what I say goes public, people who do know the difference will expose me as a propagandist."

They don't want the public to know how they teach your children, bad for funding...
Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
February 22, 2017
Dennis Prager
orange-coast-college-recording.jpg

After the election of Donald Trump as president, a professor at Orange Coast College in California, Olga Perez Stable Cox, went into an extended hate rant against the president-elect. Among other things, she described Trump's election as an "act of terrorism," labeled him a white supremacist and called Vice President-elect Mike Pence "one of the most anti-gay humans in this country."

And this wasn't even a political science class in which one might expect political talk, no matter how irresponsible. Cox is a professor of human sexuality.

When a student who recorded the diatribe posted the recording on social media, the professor's union, the Coast Federation of Educators, AFT local chapter 1911, said on Facebook: "This is an illegal recording without the permission of the instructor. The student will be identified and may be facing legal action."

According to the union, the recording "violated the professor's course syllabus, the Coast Community College District Code of Student Conduct, and the California Educational Code (sic), section 78907, which (exists) to provide a robust, learning environment for all students irrespective of their opinions."

The aforementioned California Education Code section states, "The use by any person, including a student, of any electronic listening or recording device in any classroom without the prior consent of the instructor is prohibited."

The American Association of University Professors has long opposed unauthorized recording and public posting of what professors say in classrooms.

But there is another reason.

Most professors objecting to being recorded know on some level that they are persuasive only when their audience is composed largely of very young people just out of high school. They know that if their ideas are exposed to adults, they may be revealed as intellectual lightweights.

Students therefore need to understand that when professors object to being recorded, it is a statement of contempt for them. The professors are, in effect, saying to their students: "Listen. I can get away with this intellectually shallow, emotion-based propaganda when you are the only people who actually hear it. You aren't wise enough to perceive it as such. But if people over 21 years of age hear it, I'm toast."

All rules governing the recording of conversations without permission should apply to a professor meeting privately with a student.

But when professors stand in front of a class, they are in the public domain. Moreover, the public pays at least part of these professors' salary at virtually every university. We therefore have a right, and even a duty, to know what professors say publicly in classrooms.

In fact, I would encourage every student who cares about truth and intellectual honesty to record what their professors say in class. I would also encourage every parent to find out for what they are paying. And I would encourage professors to record themselves in order to protect themselves against doctored material.

Any professor who is not ashamed of what he or she is saying in class should welcome being recorded.

And any student taking a class with a professor who objects to being recorded should know that this objection is almost always equivalent to the professor saying: "I want you to hear what I say in class because I'm quite confident that you can't differentiate between instruction and indoctrination. But if what I say goes public, people who do know the difference will expose me as a propagandist."

It is their intellectual property. Their lectures are for the students who are present and not to be recorded for use by anyone that did not pay the tuition.

EOS.

Professors are a different ball game than teachers. If this were a teacher (K-12), then they should absolutely lose their job. However, nobody is forcing the (adult) students to take the class.

Professors are a different ball game than teachers. If this were a teacher (K-12), then they should absolutely lose their job. However, nobody is forcing the (adult) students to take the class.

Then it seems only fair that if the student is dissatisfied that they can demand a refund for the class and perhaps even their tuition if they decide to seek an education elsewhere.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Quite often professors (perhaps their publishers) have copyright interests in their lecture content. Laws allow the use of that content in a classroom setting, however, outside the classroom, standard IP laws apply. Additionally, different states have different statutes about the matter. So too do universities and colleges have their own rules about it.

FWIW, Dennis Prager has an informative and insightful video (5 minutes) on this very phenomenon at Prager University.

There is NOTHING is a classroom lecture that has any IP value. Even the best professor is merely compiling and repeating information (etc) that comes from the available literature.

Teachers don't want to be recorded because they (some of them) say outrageous things that their captive audience must swallow or be punished. They know that if actual adults hear what they are selling they may be embarrassed. Or worse.

At the end of WWII thousands of veterans went to school on government programs. These were adults and I wonder how many of those thought professors were lying to them? In a short time many of the veterans became professors, teaching history as they had seen and been taugh. What has changed?

FWIW, Dennis Prager has an informative and insightful video (5 minutes) on this very phenomenon at Prager University.

There is NOTHING is a classroom lecture that has any IP value. Even the best professor is merely compiling and repeating information (etc) that comes from the available literature.

Teachers don't want to be recorded because they (some of them) say outrageous things that their captive audience must swallow or be punished. They know that if actual adults hear what they are selling they may be embarrassed. Or worse.

That's intellectual property. The text I used in one of my classes was actually written by one of my other professors in graduate school. Neither allowed any type of recording. If you want to listen and not get credit for the course, you can pay to sit in and listen, but that's all you get to do.

That's intellectual property. The text I used in one of my classes was actually written by one of my other professors in graduate school. Neither allowed any type of recording. If you want to listen and not get credit for the course, you can pay to sit in and listen, but that's all you get to do.
bullshit_anim_icon.gif

upload_2017-3-1_14-45-7.jpeg

If a business is considered public domain then a state university, paid with tax dollars, should be considered the same and anything said there should be public domain and knowledge. Otherwise a private business should be allowed to run as they see fit and anything said or done in that business establishment is not for public knowledge.

The government shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways. They should lead by example. Want to work for a government entity then anything you say should be public domain and knowledge unless it can be proven to involve national security. The latter of which I do not see a reason to be taught at any public domain institution.

*****SMILE*****

bullshit_anim_icon.gif

You need to familiarize yourself with the laws regarding intellectual property.

View attachment 114872

If a business is considered public domain then a state university, paid with tax dollars, should be considered the same and anything said there should be public domain and knowledge. Otherwise a private business should be allowed to run as they see fit and anything said or done in that business establishment is not for public knowledge.

The government shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways. They should lead by example. Want to work for a government entity then anything you say should be public domain and knowledge unless it can be proven to involve national security. The latter of which I do not see a reason to be taught at any public domain institution.

*****SMILE*****

Looks like this "serving the public" issue may come back to bite some people in the asses ass.

"I MADE IT LOOK LIKE AN ACCIDENT": CA TEACHER'S UNION OFFICIAL ON HITTING KIDS
March 22, 2017

Daniel Greenfield
mankini.png

This is the system that the left is desperately fighting for by waging war on charter schools and being willing to die to stop voucher programs. All to subsidize a corrupt union system that bleeds taxpayer money. And it is at its worst in California. Project Veritas has been taking a look atteacher's union officials in California. And here's what James O'Keefe has come up with.

Now I will say that teachers working in cities often operate in genuinely horrifying environments. The Rockville Rape shows what students have to deal with in some schools. But teachers are often on the front lines of this kind of culture. And those who don't burn out and can keep going in genuinely bad schools are often on the tougher side. There's a big difference between a teacher acting like this in some crime-free suburban school and a gang ridden hellhole where teachers are often assaulted. Mankini doesn't mention acting like this in self-defense. And he's boasting about it. Which is just damning.

"I Made it Look Like an Accident": CA Teacher's Union Official on Hitting Kids

New Topics

Forum List

Back