Why people vote Republican

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ilia25, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ilia25

ilia25 I can do math

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Many of them are simply confused.

"Finally, Cornell University’s Suzanne Mettler points out that many beneficiaries of government programs seem confused about their own place in the system. She tells us that 44 percent of Social Security recipients, 43 percent of those receiving unemployment benefits, and 40 percent of those on Medicare say that they “have not used a government program.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/opinion/krugman-moochers-against-welfare.html?hp

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Poli_Sigh

Poli_Sigh Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    And I'd guess about 35% of them belong to the Tea Party - because they haven't connected the dots either.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. theunbubba

theunbubba Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Social Security, Unemployment Insurance and Medicare are all paid into by the recipients. Welfare and Food Stamps are not. That is what those people meant. I don't care what kind of dickweed propaganda you want to try and make out of it.

I also want to see where she got these supposed statistics. They look made up to me.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. theunbubba

theunbubba Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48
    And you haven't got your head out of your ass in years to look.

5. bripat9643

bripat9643 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,449

Or perhaps because no everyone is as stupid as you.

6. ilia25

ilia25 I can do math

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Just like I said -- those poor Republican supporters are confused. Because these are government programs. The very programs that Republicans are so eager to cut.

7. naturegirl

naturegirl Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +862
    Well since your party cut 500 million from Medicare Advantage and is jeopardizing Social Security even further with his "payroll tax cut". I'd say you're the one that fails to see the writing on the wall. Medicare and SS are indeed paid for by the employee and employer. It's been a pyramid scheme from the beginning. When there were surpluses in medicare & SS (as it was supposed to be designed) instead of leaving it there, it got spent. Now there's just not enough to go around to those that paid in to it all those years.

His jobs (cough, cough) speech last month Obama wants to further cut Medicare and SS.

Obama Pushes Medicare Cuts In Jobs Speech

AARP supported Obamacare because by cutting Medicare Advantage from the federal coffers, they had an opportunity to gain all that business. I'll never join AARP and keep sending their crap back to them with red marker all over it with a big fat red "NO" scrawled across the page. Also included in red is "QUIT SENDING ME THIS CRAP".

SS and Medicare are government run programs and they've done a piss poor job managing taxpayer money. These programs are funded by Employers and Employees, the government contributes nothing, nada.......unless it's underfunded, aka already been spent on pork projects.

Now I will argue that only the employer pays in to Unemployment but I've been told by your folks, over and over, the taxpayer is indeed funding it with lower wages. So again a piss poor government run program that is not funded by the government unless there is a shortfall or they decide to extend benefits without paying attention to where the $ is going to come from.

You on the left need to pay attention to what he's doing not what he says. He's lying to you, telling you he's on your side while he and his cronies are stuffing their pockets full of tax payer $, laundering money and bowing to other countries. :cuckoo:

8. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,104
    Repugnantcans won't cut anything and neither will dimwitcraps.

But some of us who actually think for ourselves and don't subscribe to flock think realize that people would be a hell of a lot better off if they were in control of the 15% of their lifetime earnings stolen from them to fund the government's off the books slush fund otherwise known as social security

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

Pretty much for the same reason many people vote Democratic... SPITE.

I really think 75% of all votes are cast AGAINST candidates voters hate than FOR candidates voters like.

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    It's about time the Democrats learned basic math skills. Then they can work out how fucking broke the country is... and stop wasting money on shit.