Why people vote Republican

Many of them are simply confused.

"Finally, Cornell University’s Suzanne Mettler points out that many beneficiaries of government programs seem confused about their own place in the system. She tells us that 44 percent of Social Security recipients, 43 percent of those receiving unemployment benefits, and 40 percent of those on Medicare say that they “have not used a government program.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/opinion/krugman-moochers-against-welfare.html?hp

i think we all heard the tea party people screeching "i hate government", but don't you dare touch my social security or medicaid".

cause it's not like government needs money to fund those things or anything.

Social Security and medicare are not funded by the government. Well they are not supposed to be but since the account was robbed for other pork projects yea, it's no longer funding itself.

A perfect example of a government that has no clue on how to run a program........Heaven help us when it comes to Healthcare!!

Yea, so leave the account my employer and I have funded since it's inception alone. It's not a freebee, it's a slush fund that has been used for "other" things that has now run short of funds.

They say people who vote Republican have a gene in them that makes them conservative. I buy that. I can explain things to conservatives until I'm blue in the face and it just doesn't register.

Us Liberals understand conservative phylosophy. We understand people have to accept personal responsibility for themselves, for example. But we also understand the importance and need for welfare, social security and medicare.

Republicans are arrogant. They think they got to where they are by themselves. They think they earned the wage they make or the healthcare they have. They don't realize that they wouldn't have either if it weren't for unions fighting for and getting them first.

Republican=Conservative=set in their ways=stubborn and throw in a little arrogance and ignorance and you got a right winger.
You can explain all day, but if you do not have credulity behind you, you will not receive a Republican's notice. Republicans understand and provide for the same needs as you describe with one difference: verification and validation that shows need to be true. Loafing gets our notice because why support a lazy bull/cow who is physically and mentally fit to perform tasks for pay and be a credit to society, not a burden.

I became a Republican by marriage, and I can only say, there is not a kinder or more generous, humble and good man than the one I married.

Your thesis has giant holes

Wealthy people vote republican in order to protect their assets from being reinvested into the system which made their wealth possible.

The non-wealthy vote republican because they believe that the Republican party defends freedom, values (religion), small government, and patriotism, that is, they have bought into the marketing (in the same way college kids bought into Obama's hope/change).

Had today's Republican party existed during the interwar period, we would not have the Hoover Dam and the Southwest would not exist. Nor would we have gone to the moon and benefited from the resultant technology which fueled the 80's consumer electronic boom. Republicans would NEVER have given Washington the money and trust to do such big things. This is because the wealthy interests which own the party would never accept the tax burden associated with modernization and progress.

In 1980 the nation had a choice. Choose Carter and his plan for alternative energy or choose Reagan and his promise that Mideast oil supplies would never be a problem. The nation chose Reagan despite Carter's warning that gas costs would some day destroy the economy.

The nation chose Reagan because wealthy people, who invest heavily in opinion management, did not want the tax burden associated with getting off petro-chemicals.

The people who voted for Reagan were afraid of the Soviets.

The people who voted for Bush In 2004, we're afraid of terrorists.

Both groups were fooled by wealthy folks looking for tax breaks. In truth, the first group should of been afraid of Reagan's strategic distortion of the energy problem, while the second group should have been worried about the strategic over-valuation of home prices in order to get Bush past Kerry.

Republican got Punk'd... and we are now lying in that grave.

Many of them are simply confused.

"Finally, Cornell University’s Suzanne Mettler points out that many beneficiaries of government programs seem confused about their own place in the system. She tells us that 44 percent of Social Security recipients, 43 percent of those receiving unemployment benefits, and 40 percent of those on Medicare say that they “have not used a government program.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/opinion/krugman-moochers-against-welfare.html?hp

If there is confusion on this point, it is because of the way teh government has presented these programs.

Unemployment has been cast as "unemployment insurance". Your employer is paying into a fund when he hires you. You can't get it if you don't work, and you can't get it if getting fired was your own damned fault.

Same thing with Social Security and Medicare. If you've been working, you've been paying into these things all of your life, and you have nothing to say about it.

Krugman was being intellectually dishonest in his entire argument here, but that's par for the course.

Wealthy people vote republican in order to protect their assets from being reinvested into the system which made their wealth possible.

The non-wealthy vote republican because they believe that the Republican party defends freedom, values (religion), small government, and patriotism, that is, they have bought into the marketing (in the same way college kids bought into Obama's hope/change).

Had today's Republican party existed during the interwar period, we would not have the Hoover Dam and the Southwest would not exist. Nor would we have gone to the moon and benefited from the resultant technology which fueled the 80's consumer electronic boom. Republicans would NEVER have given Washington the money and trust to do such big things. This is because the wealthy interests which own the party would never accept the tax burden associated with modernization and progress.

In 1980 the nation had a choice. Choose Carter and his plan for alternative energy or choose Reagan and his promise that Mideast oil supplies would never be a problem. The nation chose Reagan despite Carter's warning that gas costs would some day destroy the economy.

The nation chose Reagan because wealthy people, who invest heavily in opinion management, did not want the tax burden associated with getting off petro-chemicals.

The people who voted for Bush In 2004, we're afraid of terrorists.

Both groups were fooled by wealthy folks looking for tax breaks. In truth, the first group should of been afraid of Reagan's strategic distortion of the energy problem, while the second group should have been worried about the strategic over-valuation of home prices in order to get Bush past Kerry.

Republican got Punk'd... and we are now lying in that grave.
You're projecting your own emotionalism on others.

Carter was a terrible President. Any time government has to measure how miserable people are, the government is screwing up in spectacular fashion.

The people who voted for Reagan and Bush were not afraid. They recognized very real threats that the left insisted didn't exist. Even to this day, some insist they didn't exist, despite history proving it.

People voted for Reagan because it was plain to see he was far better than that fuckup Carter.

People voted for Reagan because it was plain to see he was far better than that fuckup Carter.

Even Iran realized how much of a joke Carter was.
If he'd been re-elected the hostages would have been there 4 more years.

:eusa_whistle:
Nah... They'd have been killed once they realized Carter was too gutless to hold them to account.

Forum List

Back