Zone1 Why not just amend the National Firearms Act to include ARs and AKs?

I wonder if it's possible to have a real discussion on so called "assault weapons" without it devolving into hysterics. Let's see. I propose that if the Democrats really wanted to ban ARs and AKs they could do it simply by amending the already existing National FireArms Act of 1934. It has already been amended twice so why not just stop with the angry speeches and amend this law to do it? It is clearly related to the new class of weapons so named "assault weapons". I believe the Democrats don't really want to do anything, they get more political mileage out of posturing and speech making on "Gun Control". What say you?

The thread premise is nonsense – a distinction without a difference.

Republican opposition to amending existing law or enacting new legislation will prevent either from happening.

‘so called "assault weapons"’

Which demonstrates you have no interest in a real discussion.
I'm still waiting for your first cogent reply to me on ANY subject. I teed this one up for you. Just give me a reason why the Democrats don't even mention the NFA when they discuss an assault weapons ban. Can you do that?

Sorry, but we live in a democracy so it is unlikely to happen. A ban on these weapons is far more likely. Only 23 percent of all voters oppose an assault weapons ban, a poll found. Including a majority of Republicans.

I amazes me how people can be so in their bubble they have no clue what the average American thinks.
This goes to the tyranny of Republican minority rule.

It makes no difference what the majority of Americans want – control of the Senate, White House, and the courts is determined by the states, not the people; Republican control of the states will always thwart the will of the people.

The thread premise is nonsense – a distinction without a difference.

Republican opposition to amending existing law or enacting new legislation will prevent either from happening.
The NFA was modified with the Title II amendment in 1968 to include a modification to a glock pistol that essentially made it an automatic weapon. It also includes non "machine gun" type weapons like short barreled shotguns. So why wouldn't Democrats just propose a Title III amendment that includes assault weapons?

Sorry, but we live in a democracy so it is unlikely to happen. A ban on these weapons is far more likely. Only 23 percent of all voters oppose an assault weapons ban, a poll found. Including a majority of Republicans.

I amazes me how people can be so in their bubble they have no clue what the average American thinks.
Show me the word democracy in the constitution or any of America's founding documents. No stupid more Americans oppose any ban
And any such ban will be ruled unconstitutional

This goes to the tyranny of Republican minority rule.

It makes no difference what the majority of Americans want – control of the Senate, White House, and the courts is determined by the states, not the people; Republican control of the states will always thwart the will of the people.
Clayton I've read your posts and replies for years. You are afraid giving of a straight answer that's why you hide behind all this posturing and word smithing. You're scared of true debate and discussion, that is clear.

So you're saying that if the Senate took up an abortion rights bill no conservative would filibuster it?
Filibusters can and often are overturned. Usually by compromise to achieve a bill that is at least acceptable to both parties. Or you can go the brute force method like was used used to pass Obamacare where holdout Senators and Representatives were bribed with promises of support on things important to their states. Of course, that was democrats bribing other democrats.

‘so called "assault weapons"’
Which demonstrates you have no interest in a real discussion.
As you said...

"Assault weapon" is a legal description/definition.
As such, "assault weapons" only exists in states with current legislation defining the term.
The huge majority of states - 40, I believe - have no such legislation, and as such, "assault weapons" do not exist in those states.

Thus "so called assault weapons" is a perfectly correct characterization.

It makes no difference what the majority of Americans want....
Of course not.
What "makes a difference" is what the people who elect the representative / senators want.
My rep and one of my senators doesn't give a hoot in hell what someonme outside my state wants, because they do not answer to them.

Might want to freshen up on the US version of federalism, bub.

Filibusters can and often are overturned. Usually by compromise to achieve a bill that is at least acceptable to both parties. Or you can go the brute force method like was used used to pass Obamacare where holdout Senators and Representatives were bribed with promises of support on things important to their states. Of course, that was democrats bribing other democrats.
Really? When was the last one overturned? I don't believe Obamacare was passed that way, it was a reconciliation.

So you don't think America is a democracy? Says a lot about you.

I gave you a link to a poll, where did you pull your assertion from?

Even Scalia believed bans could be constitutional.
Show me the word democracy in the Constitution. You believe America is a democracy shows a lot about your tyrannical ass

Last edited:
Really? When was the last one overturned? I don't believe Obamacare was passed that way, it was a reconciliation.
Nope; the democrats spent weeks bribing other democrats to get the votes necessary to push it through. If I remember correctly, Obamacare passed without s single Republican vote in favor of it.

Nope; the democrats spent weeks bribing other democrats to get the votes necessary to push it through.
I think negotiating would be more accurate.

If I remember correctly, Obamacare passed without s single Republican vote in favor of it.
Ironic since Obamacare was originally a GOP proposal but they refused to give Obama a victory even if the country had to suffer with our horrible healthcare system.

Forum List

Back