Why not Hilary as VP nominee?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ville20, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ville20

ville20 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that this has been discussed in the media... but really - I still don't get it!

Why, when for months.... it had been said that an Obama/Clinton ticket would be called "the dream team," did Barack Obama choose someone besides Hilary as the VP nominee?

I honestly find the decision NOT to pick Hilary as baffling.

I believe that by putting Hilary "to the side" will only anger Hilary supporters and further split the democratic party - which will be terribly unfortunate and will guarantee a victory for McCain. :eek:

2. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186

:slap: :omg: :slap:

3. ville20

ville20 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me be clear.... I WILL vote for Obama/Biden.... however, I really just don't understand the political decision making process as it relates to this topic.

4. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Two words, Bill Clinton.

5. Richard-H

Richard-H Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +513
    I think that Hillary's heart was set on being back in the White House and in charge. It would be really wierd for her to be VP. It would also be weird for Obama to have a VP and a VP's husband that knew his job better than he did. They'd be a couple of control freaks.

I think that everyone decided that it would be best for her to remain a Senator (not a bad position).

Biden would have been a better choice for Sec. of State, but I think that Obama needed an attack dog with some appeal to the white rural working class. Biden fit the ticket.

Too bad the Democrats can't scrape together an once of political brains. Obama would have been a great VP for Biden or Clinton. Now it's all up in the air.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    I can think of a few possible reasons. One is that there is so much footage of Hillary diminishing Obama, and saying that McCain is more qualified to lead. Granted, Biden said similar things, but not as strongly or as frequently. Two is, aren't there problems in the Clintons' past? LIke the whitewater scandal. Maybe that wouldn't be raised, maybe it is water under the bridge. But Biden seems to not have that sort of scandal. I think three might be that as a young president, it would be disconcerting to have a major political figure of the 1990's, who is still a major leader in the party, as the spouse of your running mate. Would it be an unstoppable ticket? Maybe - but I think the decision must have to take into account what the actual four-year working relationship would be like.

If McCain picked Hillary, that would be an unstoppable ticket too.

I really am glad for what Clinton and Obama have accomplished this year. To think that a short year and a half ago our country had never put a woman or a black up as a majopr party candidate, and this year our country essentially put up both. The democratic party should be proud for moving the bar forward.

The people who supported Hillary are some of the most dedicated and passionate people I know. Of the democratic field, she wasn't my personal first choice (I felt positively about several of them, but not terribly so about her, because she is polarising). She is really intelligent, she had good ideas on a variety of issues (although I disagreed that corn ethanol was a good idea), and she would make a strong president. The democrats were in a good position this year because several candidates in the original democratic field had a lot going for them. Biden and Richardson were both good contenders. But aside from those generalities, what I really want to say is that her supporters are some of the fiercest and strongest women I have ever seen! They are phenomenol! I have been really impressed by their passion.

On the republican side, I am relieved that McCain got the nomination. He is definitely a true american hero. He supports good science. He works across the aisle. He understands the importance of the environment and global warming. He has a lot going for him. He will do the right thing on the torture and extraordinary rendition issues.

I'm voting for Obama. But, whoever wins, this election cycle has really moved the US forward, in more ways than one. Clinton has done phenomenal things for our daughters. She had a direct effect on getting health care the focus that it needs. She inspires millions of americans. Obama has been a new face on a scene that we are all a little tired of. He speaks to some of the best inclinations that we have. McCain is a hero and although he has done a few things this campaign season that have been disappointing, he still shoots straight.

I guess I went on longer than I meant to, sorry about that!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    Hillary is too strong for Obama to risk it. Besides, she'll serve the country better as a Senator.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    and he couldn't pick a VP who could have overshadowed him. But yes, the thought of Bill Clinton walking around the white house telling him how it should be done probably didn't sit well with him.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Obama can't have a VP that will overshadow him. HIllary definitely would. I don't see her accepting the position anyway. She's not going to play second fiddle. She'll be back as a Republican in 2012.:lol:

I'm surprised he picked Biden who also can easily overshadow him.

10. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    ...and Joe Biden is known for sitting quietly in the background? :cuckoo:

But you're right, Obama didn't choose Hillary because he didn't want to be outdone by his VP.

Obama/Clinton was not a dream ticket. Clinton/Obama was.