Why not Hilary as VP nominee?

Just my opinion. I think it has more to do with Michelle Obama than will ever be admitted. I think because of their personalities they may not get along. Deep down I think B.Obama knows that Hillary as VP would help him the most. Biden was a good choice but Hillary would have been better she brings 18000000 votes to the table. Biden brings 2200. Big difference.

I think republicans were praying for hillary as the vp pick. imagine all of the negative ads bringing up everything from bill to her hating on obama in the primaries.

After Hillary's speech tonight my mind has changed about her. But ...... I do not think she would have accepted the Vice President role ... if it had been offered to her.

I still think Obama made the right choice, Biden.

that was a great speech. Better than the speeches by all the white dudes before her.

I think she can do more good staying in the Senate. I'd like to see her become senate majority leader, instead of that hack Harry Reid.

p.s.: I never bought into the bullshit about Hillary Clinton being a shrill shrew who was out to destroy the democratic party, in a fit of jealousy, after obama won the nomination. I knew that was bullshit. A lot of people have egg on their faces for making all sorts of scurrilous and unfounded accusations of that nature.

I know that this has been discussed in the media... but really - I still don't get it!

Why, when for months.... it had been said that an Obama/Clinton ticket would be called "the dream team," did Barack Obama choose someone besides Hilary as the VP nominee?

I honestly find the decision NOT to pick Hilary as baffling.

I believe that by putting Hilary "to the side" will only anger Hilary supporters and further split the democratic party - which will be terribly unfortunate and will guarantee a victory for McCain. :eek:
Follow the money: who whould George Soros want for Veep, Hillary or Obiden?

Just my opinion. I think it has more to do with Michelle Obama than will ever be admitted. I think because of their personalities they may not get along. Deep down I think B.Obama knows that Hillary as VP would help him the most. Biden was a good choice but Hillary would have been better she brings 18000000 votes to the table. Biden brings 2200. Big difference.

I think it had more to do with the Nancy Pelosi faction in the party. There was a long running rift between clinton and the more liberal side of the party ever since they were ignored durning the his two terms.. In order to change washington that old gaurd needed to be excised.... Many people, like myself, felt that Hillary was more philosophical republican than any other viable candidate that was running. Me thinks the cancer to be removed from Washington extends beyond the Bush presidency...

I think it had more to do with the Nancy Pelosi faction in the party. There was a long running rift between clinton and the more liberal side of the party ever since they were ignored durning the his two terms.. In order to change washington that old gaurd needed to be excised.... Many people, like myself, felt that Hillary was more philosophical republican than any other viable candidate that was running. Me thinks the cancer to be removed from Washington extends beyond the Bush presidency...

From my perspective, it's the Nancy Pelosi faction of the party that needs to be exorcized. She and Dean don't have a clue about where the country is and where it needs to be. And more unforgiveable... they don't have a clue about how to win. This campaign should have been a slam dunk for the dems... and because of Pelosi and her stupidity, it's now anybody's race.. .which means the right is going to be sliming around and trying to hit anything that moves with mud....

the Clintons win because they are MODERATE dems...... and a huge part of the party is moderate. Can't win without them because the extremes have no where else to go... the middle does.

Personally, I think James Carville should be running the DNC, not Dean.

All candidates agreed that Mich and Florida would not count. All candidates... Clinton lost because her strategy was flawed. Obama beat her at the ground game. Face it, Clinton lost because of Clinton..

Now Dean did the right thing... You cant have states leapfrogging each other to well into the next year.. hell this contest has been going on for nearly two already.... This will not be a problem next election cause the rules are going to be revamped. I'd personally like to see four regional super tuesdays...

All candidates agreed that Mich and Florida would not count. All candidates... Clinton lost because her strategy was flawed. Obama beat her at the ground game. Face it, Clinton lost because of Clinton..

Now Dean did the right thing... You cant have states leapfrogging each other to well into the next year.. hell this contest has been going on for nearly two already.... This will not be a problem next election cause the rules are going to be revamped. I'd personally like to see four regional super tuesdays...

Clinton lost because after Oprah did her rally for Obama he consolidated 90% of the black vote and a huge percentage of the youth vote.

And if the Rev Wright videos had come out before super tuesday, Hillary would be the nominee and this discussion would be (dare I say) moot. And, like it or not, a significant part of the voting block that Obama needs to win need to be convinced that he isn't someone who believes that garbage. If he can't convince them, he loses. Joe Biden was a very good pick as VP to help with that, and Hillary will help, too. But, ultimately, he pressed a very hot button and he needs to get around it on his own merit ... if he can.

From my perspective, it's the Nancy Pelosi faction of the party that needs to be exorcized. She and Dean don't have a clue about where the country is and where it needs to be. And more unforgiveable... they don't have a clue about how to win. This campaign should have been a slam dunk for the dems... and because of Pelosi and her stupidity, it's now anybody's race.. .which means the right is going to be sliming around and trying to hit anything that moves with mud....

the Clintons win because they are MODERATE dems...... and a huge part of the party is moderate. Can't win without them because the extremes have no where else to go... the middle does.

Personally, I think James Carville should be running the DNC, not Dean.
Nothing is a slam dunk with the dems... christ, getting dems in line is like hearding cats... Carville is a prick. I think he is a bitter operative working for his wife... That being said, Clinton gave up much to stay in that middle you are talking about... He ran to build a bridge to the next century.. The foundation for this bridge was initially started but then the status quo stepped in and tore it down... His bridge spanned seven years and left us with Bush....

Clinton lost because after Oprah did her rally for Obama he consolidated 90% of the black vote and a huge percentage of the youth vote.

And if the Rev Wright videos had come out before super tuesday, Hillary would be the nominee and this discussion would be (dare I say) moot. And, like it or not, a significant part of the voting block that Obama needs to win need to be convinced that he isn't someone who believes that garbage. If he can't convince them, he loses. Joe Biden was a very good pick as VP to help with that, and Hillary will help, too. But, ultimately, he pressed a very hot button and he needs to get around it on his own merit ... if he can.

Where you paying attention to his speech on race? He got round it on his own merit. Those still stuck on wright are not going to vote for Obama anyway. I live here in SC. The black vote consolidated before Oprah.... Word was on the street that Bill might have been the first black president but he is picking on a brother now... Hill actually had the black vote till Bill descended on the state. It was a fine line that Bill had to walk and perception was that he crossed it.

hindsight is 20/20

Where you paying attention to his speech on race? He got round it on his own merit. Those still stuck on wright are not going to vote for Obama anyway. I live here in SC. The black vote consolidated before Oprah.... Word was on the street that Bill might have been the first black president but he is picking on a brother now... Hill actually had the black vote till Bill descended on the state. It was a fine line that Bill had to walk and perception was that he crossed it.

I'm not the one who has to be convinced. I'm voting for him.

But I'm telling you, most people didn't hear the speech on race. Most people only saw the video of Rev Wright saying G-d damn America. Seriously. You're being naive. And I live in NY and I know what I'm hearing from older people in particular.

We can agree to disagree on this, of course, but I think you're further left than the average american... even the average democrat. And you can't pick a candidate

Like I said, this should have been a slam dunk... about 80% of the country thinks we're moving in the wrong direction under the repub admin of the last 7 plus years. Bush has the lowest approval rating of any president in history... including Carter, I think... and McCain voted with Bush somewhere between 80% and 95% of the time, depending on what source you're looking at. The dems let themselves get beat up so bad that they've forgotten how to win an election.

And I HATE Nancy Pelosi... she's further proof of the incompetence that we get when people cash in on their family contacts in order to get power (see also, baby bush).

Oh.. and word didn't get out on "the street" that Bill Clinton was picking on a "brother" until after the Rev Wright thing b/c Obama's camp was intentionally staying away from the race issue .... and rightfully so.

Nothing is a slam dunk with the dems... christ, getting dems in line is like hearding cats... Carville is a prick. I think he is a bitter operative working for his wife... That being said, Clinton gave up much to stay in that middle you are talking about... He ran to build a bridge to the next century.. The foundation for this bridge was initially started but then the status quo stepped in and tore it down... His bridge spanned seven years and left us with Bush....

the status quo stepped in because he made a stupid (although noble) choice... he used his first term to burn his political capital on the gays in the military issue and letting Hillary do universal health coverage before people knew her or wee prepared for it. Was it the right thing to do from a moral perspective? Maybe. But it should have waited til his second term, then he wouldn't have lost congress to the Gingrich folk, which in turn wouldn't have investigated him up the yin yang for six years, which in turn wouldn't have led to a blue dress...

and, frankly, if you know they're following you around and know everything, including when you go to the bathroom, then perhaps you shouldn't give them ammunition.

now, i love Bill Clinton. I do. But for a brilliant politician, he was a putz.

hindsight? ummmmmm... no, logic and a look at what happened to his support among different demographics after, along with the feedback i'm getting from older dem voters.

"well, if this happened she would have won. if this didnt happen she wouldve won. if so and so didnt do this, she would have won. if......"

not trying to be a jerk. its just that anyone can look at the past and say how it would be different if something different happened

heh, Obama won because of the way the Dem primaries count. Instead of winner take all, the loser is awarded delegates. So all those little states pushed Obama ahead, even when he lost. It must be true, I heard it on NPR.

I hear vocies saying the Obama and Hillary don't get along. How could they run together? I look back and see two presidents that choose people that that did not like as well as others. JFK I am sure was not fond of LBJ. Kennedy saw what he needed to get to the White House and made a selection that would get him there. JFK was elected. It worked. People overlooked the fact that these two were not fast friends. The voters at the time had questions about JFK's experience.

Reagan selected GHWB. That was not his first choice. It was GHWB that coined the term "Voodoo Economics". They didn't seem to get on very well during the primaries. Reagan got into the White House. He spent 8 years there. They were not even as close on positions as Obama and Clinton. The difference between B. Obama and H. Clinton is far less than Reagan and Bush.

I think that Obama missed the point in selecting a VP. He picked the best person from his short list. I think he missed the best person available. I listened to Hillary last night. She hit the Home Run that Obama needed.

heh, Obama won because of the way the Dem primaries count. Instead of winner take all, the loser is awarded delegates. So all those little states pushed Obama ahead, even when he lost. It must be true, I heard it on NPR.

I know.. a system that is abit more representative than the winner take all system is very unfair.. States are rarely homogenous. Can you justify a worse system just to benefit your candidate.. I can't even though I am the beneficiary of this system. Look, Hillary's over confidense led her to ignore the smaller states and caucuses.. Obama worked that ground game cause thats all he had.. its that simple.. thats why she lost. She did lose btw...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back