why is prostitution illegal?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by alan1234567890, Apr 18, 2004.

1. alan1234567890

alan1234567890 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    why is prostitution illegal. any body really know?

2. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Prostitution is illegal because it always has been. There is no real reason other than personal and community morality. I personally think that people should be able to legally make money with their bodies. Provided that all the regulatory agencies are able to avoid the health risks. By taxing it, there would be more revenue for the state as well. But, from personal experience, make sure the health card is up to date and genuine.

3. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Prostitution is not illegal everywhere. Perhaps finding out why Nevada has legal prostitution will give you a clue.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I happen to think that selling the ultimate physical act of love is a despicable act, and I hope it stays illegal. However, with as little as sex has come to mean to people, it's surprising prostitution is still illegal here. As George Carlin put it, "Selling is legal. F***ing is legal. Why isn't selling f***ing legal?"

5. _dmp_

_dmp_ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    People are selling themeselves to be crusified for countless sinners???

wow!

6. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Not sure about every community, but here, no strip bars can be located within a certain distance to a school zone. CRAZY isn't it?

7. Quad

Quad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I voluntarily crusified myself just the other day to show people that I love them in the most "ultimate" way. Now I have a bunch of disciples who do whatever I say. It's pretty cool!

Prostitution is legal in most of the world and it always has been. Prostitution was not made illegal in the U.S. until moral protectionism rose in the early 20th century.

8. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    define MOST, because the last that I heard, prostitution was only legal in one state of the union and half the EU. Everywhere else its illegal but overlooked, i.e. mexico and most of the chzeck areas because of the poverty levels.

9. Quad

Quad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Southeast asia. Africa. South America. "Half the EU." I was counting the third world.
    And it has very lax enforcement in most western countries (and to an extent even in ours). We target certain kinds of prostitutes.

a brief history of the progressive movement which our laws governing prostitution are a direct result of.
    http://www.nv.cc.va.us/home/nvsageh/Hist122/Part2/Progressive.htm

10. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    He is right in one respect, prostitution although I don't know if it was legal or not, was certainly overlooked in almost every major city in the U.S. in the first half of the 20th century. Most of your famous mafia names from that period: Lucky Luciano, Johnny Torrio, Meyer Lansky, Al Capone, Arnold Rothstein, Frank Costello they all got rich off of prostitution. Every city had well known bordello areas which was basically left alone by the cops as long as they were paid off.

Secondly, Being a Californian part of your rite of passage was to make a little trip to the ol'Mustang Ranch in Reno with your buds. In Nevada that is the only type of prostitution that is legal, street walking and call girls are illegal but still happen.