Why is Eli Manning not considered not a average QB?

I just don't understand how a QB can keep missing the playoffs and throwing interceptions and media and fans continue to say the things below because of 2 SB that happened in the past

1. No Offensive Line

2. Receivers running wrong route

3. No Running Game

I'd say look to the changes in the teams from year to year.

But your ridiculing Manning for the clutch play of the year is insane. I looked at the film again. One of the players that had manning by the jersey was Richard Seymour. He played in 7 Pro Bowls, was named to 3 All Pro teams, and may be one of the best D-linemen playing in the NFL. You don't "stumble" and get away from players like that. You scramble and fight to stay upright and keep playing.

I just looked again. There were several changes on the roster after SB42. The one that stands out to me is Gibril Wilson becoming a free agent and leaving. He is the one who batted down Brady's hail Mary pass to win the Super Bowl. In 4 years with the Giants Wilson had 360 tackles, 6 sacks, and 11 INTs. Talent changes and the chemistry changes.

But please feel free to tell us any QB who won SB after SB after SB.

Mr. Brady

Right, so either Manning has the best record of any active QB, or he is below average? lmao

Brady has been in the NFL 13 years. He has led his team to 5 SBs and won 3. In other words, he has also lost 2 SBs. 13 years and 3 SB wins. He has won a Super Bowl 23% of the time.

Manning has been in the NFL for 9 years. He led his team to 2 SBs and won both. In other words, he has not lost a Super bowl. 9 years and 2 SB wins. He has won a Super Bowl 22% of the time.

I'd call that more than average.

I don't know anyone who is saying Eli Manning is the best QB. But he is damn sure better than average.

I'd say look to the changes in the teams from year to year.

But your ridiculing Manning for the clutch play of the year is insane. I looked at the film again. One of the players that had manning by the jersey was Richard Seymour. He played in 7 Pro Bowls, was named to 3 All Pro teams, and may be one of the best D-linemen playing in the NFL. You don't "stumble" and get away from players like that. You scramble and fight to stay upright and keep playing.

I just looked again. There were several changes on the roster after SB42. The one that stands out to me is Gibril Wilson becoming a free agent and leaving. He is the one who batted down Brady's hail Mary pass to win the Super Bowl. In 4 years with the Giants Wilson had 360 tackles, 6 sacks, and 11 INTs. Talent changes and the chemistry changes.

But please feel free to tell us any QB who won SB after SB after SB.

Mr. Brady

Mr Brady would be the greatest QB of all time if not for the exploits of one Eli Manning

Eli owns Tom Brady

Yep! Brady has lost 2 Super Bowls. It was Eli Manning's Giants both times. No one else has beaten Brady in the big game.

Bill Belechick stopped being a genius around 2007

Bill Belechick stopped being a genius around 2007

The point is, you can't expect any team to win every time. Undefeated seasons are rare. Take the wins and enjoy them without trying to blame one player for some bad games.

I'm a hardcore Crimson Tide fan. I saw all the "End of a Dynasty" nonsense at the end of the season. I actually had people feeling sorry for Bama fans. Can you imagine? Winning 3 BCS Championships in 4 years and people pity a team that went 11-2? lol

Manning is a great QB. Anyone saying he is average is just not paying attention.

Eli Manning has twice been in Super Bowls where he was given a "simple" task. March 85 yards for a score in two and a half minutes and we win. Fail and we lose. Eli scored touchdowns to win both times converting key fourth down passes.

In 45 years of SuperBowls, how many QBs have done it once?

Eli Manning has twice been in Super Bowls where he was given a "simple" task. March 85 yards for a score in two and a half minutes and we win. Fail and we lose. Eli scored touchdowns to win both times converting key fourth down passes.

But why does he throw so many interceptions? I believe he had 6 in one game

Brady threw 4 in one game against the Bills.

Drew Brees threw 5 against the Falcons.

Johnny Unitas had 5 interceptions in 5 different games in his career.

Sometimes a defense is fired up and playing in the zone.

Oh, and both Brett Farve and Peyton Manning have thrown 6 INTs in a single game. Sometimes you have shitty games.

I remember one game against Minnesota. Eli threw four picks returned for scores. They wanted to run him out of town. Eli shrugged it off

He went on to beat an undefeated Patriot team in the Superbowl that year

Jeez man the thread title is confusing. So I don't know what I am answering to but Eli is above average and not elite.

I am curious, what are the obvious reasons his first SB win doesn't count?

He was sacked and somehow tripped and stumbled his way out of the Pats defender and then threw the ball down the field praying a NY giant came down with it who happened to be a receiver that caught it with his helmet.

That was a joke of a win and I never gave credit for the 1st SB. Only the 2nd

Okay. That is lame. THAT is why you don't give him credit? Because he played the game and luck was on his side? Might as well not count most games. The game itself requires BOTH luck and skill.

So when you win the SB you can play like CRAP the next 2 seasons?

And he missed the playoffs 4 times in 5 years. Brady has never missed the playoffs that many times

Jim McMahon. "Nuff said".

So when you win the SB you can play like CRAP the next 2 seasons?

And he missed the playoffs 4 times in 5 years. Brady has never missed the playoffs that many times

Right, because Manning is the ONLY player on the field? And, of course, he wasn't trying at all.

In the '09 season, the Giants may not have made the playoffs. But he had 4,021 passing yards, 27 touchdowns, a 62.3 completion percentage rating and a passer rating of 93.1. So he was doing something right. How was the Giants defense the years they didn't make the playoffs? Looks to me like crappy teams scored plenty of points.

I just don't understand how a QB can keep missing the playoffs and throwing interceptions and media and fans continue to say the things below because of 2 SB that happened in the past

1. No Offensive Line

2. Receivers running wrong route

3. No Running Game

Look at Johnny Unitas's stats.

True but in the case of Brady and Brees it;s a rare thing. Eli does it every other week

True but in the case of Brady and Brees it;s a rare thing. Eli does it every other week

Eli was playing hurt all last year. Will be different in 2014-15.

Eli was playing hurt all last year. Will be different in 2014-15.

whatever, another excuse

I can't wait to hear the excuses when he missed the playoffs for the 3rd straight year

The Belichick cheating Tom Shady excuse is old and worn out. Belichick is a great coach and Brady is a great qb, one of the greatest ever. Brady is going to show his age sooner or later at this point though. Just a matter of time.

Eli looks like an average QB because he plays for an average team. He is not surrounded with any future HOF players.
The last eight years the Giants have been a average team. 8-8 to 10-6. Hardly a dynasty. But that average team has managed to win two SuperBowls. That is a credit to Tom Coghlin and Eli Manning.
Once they make the playoffs, they find a way to win and survive every week

Eli is hardly an all time great QB but he is a future HOF player. He gives hope to every 9-7 and 10-6 team that they too can win a championship......Hey, Eli did it......TWICE

The Belichick cheating Tom Shady excuse is old and worn out. Belichick is a great coach and Brady is a great qb, one of the greatest ever. Brady is going to show his age sooner or later at this point though. Just a matter of time.

I just wish Belechick could have won another SB after spygate to show he is not a fraud

Forum List

Back