Why is Eli Manning not considered not a average QB?

I am curious, what are the obvious reasons his first SB win doesn't count?

He was sacked and somehow tripped and stumbled his way out of the Pats defender and then threw the ball down the field praying a NY giant came down with it who happened to be a receiver that caught it with his helmet.

That was a joke of a win and I never gave credit for the 1st SB. Only the 2nd

Great plays don't count.......Got it

Eli eluding three defenders and managing to complete a pass 30 yards down the field was one of the most clutch plays ever.

So you consider this a great play?

A QB bumbling and stumbling his way out of a sack and then closing his eyes and throwing a hailmary down field that ended up being caught by a receiver's helmet?

That was a GOOFY PLAY not a GREAT PLAY

He was sacked and somehow tripped and stumbled his way out of the Pats defender and then threw the ball down the field praying a NY giant came down with it who happened to be a receiver that caught it with his helmet.

Eli eluding three defenders and managing to complete a pass 30 yards down the field was one of the most clutch plays ever.

A QB bumbling and stumbling his way out of a sack and then closing his eyes and throwing a hailmary down field that ended up being caught by a receiver's helmet?

Eli and the Giants never gave up on the play. A characteristic of true champions. Giants wanted it more. That was obvious

He fought off tacklers, threw a pass to a receiver who managed to come down with the ball.

Manning pretty much did, on that play, what Johnny Manziel is famous for doing.

He managed NOT to get sacked by a good defense. Yeah, I consider that a great play. Manning did what it took to keep the play alive and the receiver did what it took to catch the ball.

I guess any play that doesn't look perfect is reason to take away a win? LMAO!

You never played football, did you? I can guarantee it is easier to catch a pass in your chest than on top of your helmet. And I can also guarantee the receiver was fighting his instincts to cover his gut.

That was a helluva clutch play.

Eli and the Giants never gave up on the play. A characteristic of true champions. Giants wanted it more. That was obvious

That is the secret of champions, to want it more and to do what it takes to win.

Eli Manning did that. I doubt he loses any sleep over what some armchair QB thinks of how pretty the play looked. He won a Super Bowl.

First of all let's take away the 1st SB for obvious reasons. So that gives him 1 SB and after winning that one he missed the playoffs 2 seasons in a row. Last season he was responsible for his team starting 0-6 and led the league in interceptions. And in between the 2008 SB and 2012 SB he missed the playoffs 2 times which means he missed the playoffs 4 times out of the last 5 years

So tell me again why does he always get a pass and not considered a borderline below average QB?

Well, it is hard to say why some are favored and others not but I suppose it isn't up to us to ask such a thing as it is not our decision. With that said, fbj, I have a story about this young man. I believe the year was 2007, it was the game between the Patriots and the Giants and it happened that I came across some news that the Patriots had sent spies to spy out the moves of the Giants - The Patriots were cheating! Oh! I do not like cheating!

I tell you the truth! I felt such a holy anger come over me, I cannot tell you the half of it! I prayed and asked the LORD to make the Giants win by a 3 point lead. In fact, I was so passionate about this praying of the matter I became convinced that was exactly as it would be!

So then the reports were at the time that the Patriots were the undefeated team of the season. They had not lost a single game! The Whole Season! Indeed my own husband confirmed this I do believe. I can't ask him at the moment as he isn't here but I'm quite certain that is how it was. The Patriots were undefeated and headed for the Super Bowl game to play against the Giants.

I didn't have the television hook up cable to see the game. I could only hear the reports which came across like a radio reporting with no pictures. I prayed it through until the news came that the young man you speak of had caught the football on his head and therein won for the Giants by a 3 point lead! Of course I had known that they would win as I had asked for it in prayer but I surely did not know this young man would be the one God would use - to catch a football on his helmet and make it happen. So I just said, Thank you, Lord, for making the Patriots lose. Amen. And that was the end of it.

That is what happened concerning this man you speak of - Eli Manning - and I do not know why he was favored so much. Perhaps he has a praying mother?

Thank you for listening to my story.

Last edited:
So when you win the SB you can play like CRAP the next 2 seasons?

And he missed the playoffs 4 times in 5 years. Brady has never missed the playoffs that many times

I am sorry, fbj. I'll pray for Brady. I haven't kept up with any thing else about the Giants since then. It was just a one time deal. Something that had to be set right. Have a good evening and do not fret over it.

And he missed the playoffs 4 times in 5 years. Brady has never missed the playoffs that many times

It depends on whether you like fantasy football QBs and the Buffalo Bills or whether you want championships

Right, because Manning is the ONLY player on the field? And, of course, he wasn't trying at all.

In the '09 season, the Giants may not have made the playoffs. But he had 4,021 passing yards, 27 touchdowns, a 62.3 completion percentage rating and a passer rating of 93.1. So he was doing something right. How was the Giants defense the years they didn't make the playoffs? Looks to me like crappy teams scored plenty of points.

Let's clarify here. Manning was obviously not sacked. There were defenders all around him, some laying their hands on him, and he managed to stay on his feet and break free. Isn't that what you WANT a QB to do? The Patriots pass rush was heavy. Those boys are pros. And yet they still could not get Manning down.

That you think this makes him less of a QB shows your lack of understanding of the game.

Eli has defeated an 18-0 team and a 15-1 team in the playoffs

No QB will ever match that

Right, because Manning is the ONLY player on the field? And, of course, he wasn't trying at all.

In the '09 season, the Giants may not have made the playoffs. But he had 4,021 passing yards, 27 touchdowns, a 62.3 completion percentage rating and a passer rating of 93.1. So he was doing something right. How was the Giants defense the years they didn't make the playoffs? Looks to me like crappy teams scored plenty of points.

I just don't understand how a QB can keep missing the playoffs and throwing interceptions and media and fans continue to say the things below because of 2 SB that happened in the past

1. No Offensive Line

2. Receivers running wrong route

3. No Running Game

Let's clarify here. Manning was obviously not sacked. There were defenders all around him, some laying their hands on him, and he managed to stay on his feet and break free. Isn't that what you WANT a QB to do? The Patriots pass rush was heavy. Those boys are pros. And yet they still could not get Manning down.

That you think this makes him less of a QB shows your lack of understanding of the game.

If you look at that play again it was not eluding defenders. The Pats defenders ran into each other and one of them was unable to hold on to Eli. Eli was never and will never be a QB who eludes defenders

I just don't understand how a QB can keep missing the playoffs and throwing interceptions and media and fans continue to say the things below because of 2 SB that happened in the past

1. No Offensive Line

3. No Running Game

I'd say look to the changes in the teams from year to year.

But your ridiculing Manning for the clutch play of the year is insane. I looked at the film again. One of the players that had manning by the jersey was Richard Seymour. He played in 7 Pro Bowls, was named to 3 All Pro teams, and may be one of the best D-linemen playing in the NFL. You don't "stumble" and get away from players like that. You scramble and fight to stay upright and keep playing.

I just looked again. There were several changes on the roster after SB42. The one that stands out to me is Gibril Wilson becoming a free agent and leaving. He is the one who batted down Brady's hail Mary pass to win the Super Bowl. In 4 years with the Giants Wilson had 360 tackles, 6 sacks, and 11 INTs. Talent changes and the chemistry changes.

But please feel free to tell us any QB who won SB after SB after SB.

If you look at that play again it was not eluding defenders. The Pats defenders ran into each other and one of them was unable to hold on to Eli. Eli was never and will never be a QB who eludes defenders

He stayed on his feet and got away. Both of the defenders had a grip on his jersey and he pulled away. If you want to claim that it was him stumbling and the two linemen knocking each other down, feel free. Both of them were trying and failed to sack Manning.

"He was sacked and somehow tripped and stumbled his way out of the Patriots defender and threw the ball down the field to a reciever who caught it with his helmet?!" Are you kidding me?

That is like throwing a smashed clock up in the air and having it land perfectly in order and ticking right on time! Listen to me! That entire happening was an answer to prayer, Sir! I just told you how it happened and guess what?! The right team won! By a three point lead! No less! Just what I asked for! I'll take Manning over Brady any day of the week! Mannings found favor! Brady sounds like he is under a curse! Good night!

Last edited:

That was one of the greatest plays I have ever seen in a Super Bowl. The Giants embarrassed the Putriots to the point that their coach, Bill Billicheat, actually stormed off the field before the end of the game, leaving his defense on the field alone. It showed what a poor loser he is.

1. No Offensive Line

3. No Running Game

But your ridiculing Manning for the clutch play of the year is insane. I looked at the film again. One of the players that had manning by the jersey was Richard Seymour. He played in 7 Pro Bowls, was named to 3 All Pro teams, and may be one of the best D-linemen playing in the NFL. You don't "stumble" and get away from players like that. You scramble and fight to stay upright and keep playing.

I just looked again. There were several changes on the roster after SB42. The one that stands out to me is Gibril Wilson becoming a free agent and leaving. He is the one who batted down Brady's hail Mary pass to win the Super Bowl. In 4 years with the Giants Wilson had 360 tackles, 6 sacks, and 11 INTs. Talent changes and the chemistry changes.

Mr. Brady

1. No Offensive Line

3. No Running Game

Mr. Brady

Mr Brady would be the greatest QB of all time if not for the exploits of one Eli Manning

Eli owns Tom Brady

Forum List

Back