Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

Maybe you miss all the posts by "conservatives" on the forum or never tune in to Trump?
Nah, I've seen and heard them as well as the left's use of the term to politically and socially demonize their opposition......... :eusa_whistle:
Could you give some examples?
Opposing “political correctness” has become a carte blanche excuse for being deliberate offensive, abusive, or even bigoted; it’s precisely the kind of unreasoning categorical “framing” that critics of “political correctness” complain about. Any day now, I expect to hear a spouse-beater whine that he’s being persecuted for not being politically correct. We’ll be lucky if “anchor babies” is the worst expression this strange attitude is used to defend.
Silly Ringel. That's like calling someone a racist because they pointed out racism.
Silly Ravi, you're buying the spin hook, line and sinker because it suits your bias....... :thup:

Sorry, should have said emotive driven bias. :thup:
That's funny as I think you are the one that is doing that.

Just wanted to add a couple of new links to my ever-growing list of honest liberals who admit that PC has gone too far

if mac or the rest of you simpletons really care to be honest, you'd first of all recognize it's already been universally acknowledged that sometimes PC goes too far... duh

most people can also universally recognize and acknowledge that PC has in fact become a loaded term, as thoroughly describe (and disregarded) in this thread already.

conflation of this term has recently caused legitimate concern, as presidential candidates now hide behind the term in order to smooth over their pandering to base fear and loathing.

disregarding that fact does not make it go away...and denying this fact is patently dishonest.

if you are not a bigot, these concerns are not about you and your limited understanding of PC as it relates to free speech. playing gotcha with links as if to prove pc is just dumb..unless maybe you're a bigot trying to obfuscate.

now those who are obsessed with hounding this PC topic, pretend that responding to discussion of this PC topic should be considered proof of PC in itself, which is of course ridiculous.

mac has no interest in being honest on this topic or on this forum in general. he and others would much rather demagogue. it's boring.

that obsessed simpletons like mac can't grasp simple concepts like the difference between women posting in support of reproductive choice and women actively aborting pregnancies, is not my problem..

i may as well have a conversation with my cat...

Nah, I've seen and heard them as well as the left's use of the term to politically and socially demonize their opposition......... :eusa_whistle:
Could you give some examples?
Opposing “political correctness” has become a carte blanche excuse for being deliberate offensive, abusive, or even bigoted; it’s precisely the kind of unreasoning categorical “framing” that critics of “political correctness” complain about. Any day now, I expect to hear a spouse-beater whine that he’s being persecuted for not being politically correct. We’ll be lucky if “anchor babies” is the worst expression this strange attitude is used to defend.
Silly Ringel. That's like calling someone a racist because they pointed out racism.
Silly Ravi, you're buying the spin hook, line and sinker because it suits your bias....... :thup:

Sorry, should have said emotive driven bias. :thup:
That's funny as I think you are the one that is doing that.
Nope, I'm looking at it from a non-political point of view....... Who's emoting again.......? Check out that mirror. :thup:

Because its stupid to have to refer to people that are in our country illegally as "undocumented" immigrants rather than illegal aliens ( or even illegal immigrants).

I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

1. No off topic comments. Please address the question.
2. Be able to prove your position using common sense. No links

I suppose it depends on what you perceive political correctness to be. From my experience its a series of terms, definitions and accompanying assumptions. And they rarely facilitate communication unless both parties agree on them.

When they don't agree, these definitions are often used as a bludgeon to force frame a conversation. Which isn't particularly conducive to conversation either.

Anyone who claims they have any doubts about what PC is, or how it manifests, is a liar.

But as a public service, I'll be more than happy to post my long and growing list of honest liberals who say that it has gone too far and is counter-productive.

It's very comprehensive, myriad examples for you.

Just ask, if you're actually curious. No charge!

:up:

Last edited:
I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

Just as with everything else, it's carried too far. Now people cannot say "Merry Christmas" becsause it might offend someone or a state or federal building cannot put out the Silent Night scene with Mary, Joseph and Jesus because it may offend a non Christian! Can't even have a damn lit tree!

Now you can't refer to a guy in drag as "he" or you'll be fined in NY!

I'm sick of it and generally I believe the majority of citizens feel the same way.

It really boils down IMO to freedom of speech. When PC mandates you can't express yourself, it's gone too far.

There will always be people who take offense to any way you say something.

For example. Bastardy, which is defined as the begetting of an illegitimate child.

It's completely accurate to state that a child born out of wedlock is so.

That however stigmatizes those for whom the term fits. As such the PC crowd has driven the term from today's debate. PC is all about someone not being offended. The last time I checked, not being offended, or stigmatized is not protected by the Constitution.

There's a reason offending, or stigmatizing poor decision making is necessary for a healthy society. The vast majority of the stupid people today, are a direct result of not wanting to stigmatize students for failing grades. You never hear anymore about someone failing a grade in high school. When I was young, it happened, and the people who did were ridiculed for their failure...as they should have been. Some of them buckled up and started applying themselves, mostly cause their parents applied belt to behind.

Some didn't. We called those losers, and they truly lived up to that title. Today...it's hurtful to their feelings, so we're not allowed to call them that anymore in the schools and teaching has been relaxed to the point critical thinking skills are virtually ignored.

So what are the schools producing in job lots now?

Losers, and bastards.

... When they don't agree, these definitions are often used as a bludgeon to force frame a conversation. Which isn't particularly conducive to conversation either.

Lolz ... That's because it is rather easy to understand the premise behind Political Correctness.
Political correctness is not an attempt to be correct nor inclusive at all … It is an attempt to control the dialog and eliminate alternatives trough popular opinion.

Lolz ... That's because it is rather easy to understand the premise behind Political Correctness.
Political correctness is not an attempt to be correct nor inclusive at all[Political correctness] is an attempt to control the dialog and eliminate alternatives trough popular opinion.

As members of the audience, we need to know quite a lot about a person to know what be their intent for using politically correct language.

Red:
Sometimes it reflects a speaker's efforts to be one or both of those things, other times it does not. It really depends on who's using it and how they do so.

Blue:
It is definitely sometimes that, but it's far from universally that.

Other:
I think at times political correctness is just silly. Never, for example, will come the day when I refer to a blind person, or identify blindness, as "vision impaired." The poor soul is blind. Period.

Similarly, I don't have a problem with the word "Negro" or "black" to identify a member of the Negroid race. I realize "Negro" has become a dated term, but as a term I see nothing wrong with it as a term. After all, the name of the race to which black folks belong remains Negroid. Why should there be something wrong with "Negro?" That's just silly.

Last edited:
As members of the audience, we need to know quite a lot about a person to know what be their intent for using politically correct language.

Red:
Sometimes it reflects a speaker's efforts to be one or both of those things, other times it does not. It really depends on who's using it and how they do so.

Blue:

Other:
I think at times political correctness is just silly. Never, for example, will come the day when I refer to a blind person, or identify blindness, as "vision impaired." The poor soul is blind. Period.

Similarly, I don't have a problem with the word "Negro" or "black" to identify a member of the Negroid race. I realize "Negro" has become a dated term, but as a term I see nothing wrong with it as a term. After all, the name of the race to which black folks belong remains Negroid. Why should there be something wrong with "Negro?" That's just silly.

With political correctness ... It doesn't really matter what you think or what you have a problem with ... Because essentially it won't be decided by you (at least not as a measure you can vote on as a citizen directly).

It allows policy making entities (governmental, corporate and social) to determine what is appropriate and removes your ability to have a genuine say-so ... It establishes a false authority not defined in previous legislative freedoms ... It is forced compliance to social initiatives.

Red:

Blue:

Other:

With political correctness ... It doesn't really matter what you think or what you have a problem with ... Because essentially it won't be decided by you (at least not as a measure you can vote on as a citizen directly).

It allows policy making entities (governmental, corporate and social) to determine what is appropriate and removes your ability to have a genuine say-so ... It establishes a false authority not defined in previous legislative freedoms ... It is forced compliance to social initiatives.

Policy making authorities have been around since the beginning of time. It is a the ass kissing and fawning of one group over another due to certain emotional needs or sensitivities that I find so objectionable

Would please provide and explain precisely at least one example of the several points you made in above?

Also, would you please explain how political correctness "allows policy making entities to determine what is appropriate?"

By asking those questions, I'm asking that you explain clearly and comprehensively what you mean rather than just stating it. The reason I'm asking is because as you've presented your thoughts above, I have only two alternatives: accept it as so, or reject it. Seeing as I don't have any indication/awareness that your assertions are so, I'm hoping that by presenting them well, thoroughly (rather than as sound bites) I may understand and either agree or disagree. Right now, the remarks are vague/ambiguous enough that I don't have any thoughts about them, other than that I don't believe I fully understand what militates for agreeing or disagreeing with them.

Would please provide and explain precisely at least one example of the several points you made in above?

Also, would you please explain how political correctness "allows policy making entities to determine what is appropriate?"

By asking those questions, I'm asking that you explain clearly and comprehensively what you mean rather than just stating it. The reason I'm asking is because as you've presented your thoughts above, I have only two alternatives: accept it as so, or reject it. Seeing as I don't have any indication/awareness that your assertions are so, I'm hoping that by presenting them well, thoroughly (rather than as sound bites) I may understand and either agree or disagree. Right now, the remarks are vague/ambiguous enough that I don't have any thoughts about them, other than that I don't believe I fully understand what militates for agreeing or disagreeing with them.

Oh ... I can agree with that ... You do with it whatever you want to ... :thup:

Policy making authorities have been around since the beginning of time. It is a the ass kissing and fawning of one group over another due to certain emotional needs or sensitivities that I find so objectionable

The problem isn't the policy making bodies as much as the people in them who have found a means by which to silence opposition using political correctness.
I think it is more interesting the number of people who wander around acting like they don't know what you are talking about.

Someone can bring up a particular subject at a school board meeting ... And a portion of the attendees will act like it is the most important thing in the world ... While the remaining portion in opposition is not allowed to do anything more than roll their eyes.

If they speak up against the idiotic ideas being presented ... It can be labelled hate speech and they can be removed.
That sets a standard to the discussion which unjustly eliminates opposition without recourse.

Oh ... I can agree with that ... You do with it whatever you want to ... :thup:

The problem isn't the policy making bodies as much as the people in them who have found a means by which to silence opposition using political correctness.
I think it is more interesting the number of people who wander around acting like they don't know what you are talking about.

Someone can bring up a particular subject at a school board meeting ... And a portion of the attendees will act like it is the most important thing in the world ... While the remaining portion in opposition is not allowed to do anything more than roll their eyes.

If they speak up against the idiotic ideas being presented ... It can be labelled hate speech and they can be removed.
That sets a standard to the discussion which unjustly eliminates opposition without recourse.

In that isolated situation I agree, as a society overall we need a set of parameters by which we can communicate and interact in a civilized, cohesive manner. PC does not accomplish that at all.

Rules:

Depends on how you define political correct. If you use it for hate and then complain your religious rights are being compromised, not cool. What about the other persons right not to be crapped on. Right wingers believe they are somehow superior so that makes the religion they imagine as their's exceptional.

Why can't we just be who we are? We all have our own minds, thoughts, ideas. Why should be be afraid to express who we are, and what we believe?
We can always find someone that is offended even if we supposedly are trying to be PC. I do not need anyone to tell me what to and not to think or say. *shrug*

Forum List

Back