Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

Why can't we just be who we are? We all have our own minds, thoughts, ideas. Why should be be afraid to express who we are, and what we believe?
We can always find someone that is offended even if we supposedly are trying to be PC. I do not need anyone to tell me what to and not to think or say. *shrug*

No one can stop you from being who you are (they can make you pretend to be someone else) ... Or expressing yourself the way you want to (at least not unless they kill you).
They can make you uncomfortable and cause you all kinds of problems ... But it only makes a difference when you give in to their demands.

Why can't we just be who we are? We all have our own minds, thoughts, ideas. Why should be be afraid to express who we are, and what we believe?
We can always find someone that is offended even if we supposedly are trying to be PC. I do not need anyone to tell me what to and not to think or say. *shrug*

No one can stop you from being who you are (they can make you pretend to be someone else) ... Or expressing yourself the way you want to (at least not unless they kill you).
They can make you uncomfortable and cause you all kinds of problems ... But it only makes a difference when you give in to their demands.

No, but they can sure make your life miserable or cause you serious problems if they decide to make an example of you. Take the case of Phil Robertson who said in an interview totally unrelated to his professional life that he believes the Bible says marriage is to be between a man and woman. You would have thought he had called for the first born of all liberals to be slaughtered. How dare he have such an unpolitically correct opinion and actually say it out loud where people could hear it? The angry mobs organized to go after the AE channel, force them to fire him from the popular Duck Dynasty program, threatened advertisers, and generally tried to make his life a living hell.

It does matter whether or not he is right. He was expressing his personal opinion as an individual citizen and was not representing anybody. The militant PC police didn't care. He said something politically incorrect so he had to be punished and if possible destroyed. And most of those on the left nodded in agreement and condoned that.

But they would have been infuriated if a similar campaign had been launched to punish or destroy somebody who spoke up for same sex marriage. That after all is Politically Correct and therefore protected speech in all circumstances and nobody should be punished for thinking or saying that. The double standard is glaringly obvious.

And that is what is wrong with the whole political correct schtich. It dictates what opinions, thoughts, beliefs, or convictions are okay to express publically and any opposing opinion must be squelched or punished. And that is just wrong.

No, but they can sure make your life miserable or cause you serious problems if they decide to make an example of you. Take the case of Phil Robertson who said in an interview totally unrelated to his professional life that he believes the Bible says marriage is to be between a man and woman. You would have thought he had called for the first born of all liberals to be slaughtered. How dare he have such an unpolitically correct opinion and actually say it out loud where people could hear it? The angry mobs organized to go after the AE channel, force them to fire him from the popular Duck Dynasty program, threatened advertisers, and generally tried to make his life a living hell.

It does matter whether or not he is right. He was expressing his personal opinion as an individual citizen and was not representing anybody. The militant PC police didn't care. He said something politically incorrect so he had to be punished and if possible destroyed. And most of those on the left nodded in agreement and condoned that.

But they would have been infuriated if a similar campaign had been launched to punish or destroy somebody who spoke up for same sex marriage. That after all is Politically Correct and therefore protected speech in all circumstances and nobody should be punished for thinking or saying that. The double standard is glaringly obvious.

And that is what is wrong with the whole political correct schtich. It dictates what opinions, thoughts, beliefs, or convictions are okay to express publically and any opposing opinion must be squelched or punished. And that is just wrong.

If they "make you" they can break you ... As was the case with Duck Dynasty.
The Robertson family made a fortune on television speaking their mind ... And have ultimately paid the price for doing so.

It doesn't make it right ... It is just the way it is.
If you use the media to accumulate wealth ... Then they can take that away from you just as easy.
They used a public forum to express their views ... And where I disagree with the length to which parties involved have gone to punish them ... I am not surprised.

I don't think it has shaken Phil Robertson's faith in God ... Nor changed his views.
They have found another venue to carry Duck Dynasty and additional shows with the Robertsons.

Plus they are wealthy off of their business, not so much off the TV show.

Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

When political correctness deems certain topics, ideas, expressions and even symbols off-limits, its gone too far.

It takes away Freedom of Speech which is not acceptable at all.

A quick reminder to people taking this thread seriously....this is the same idiot who calls white people "cavemonkey".

This idiot is nowhere near politically correct, even by Democrat standards.

A quick reminder to people taking this thread seriously....this is the same idiot who calls white people "cavemonkey".

This idiot is nowhere near politically correct, even by Democrat standards.
Sure, but as we all know, only the PC Police are authorized to decide what words are "offensive".

And those rules don't apply to them.

:rolleyes-41:

I just remembered the first time I heard my school friends (who were now at university) say, white people are responsible for most of the bad in the world.

I was stunned, they actually believed this.

What I always disliked about it was it requires you to kiss the ass of a political correctioness practitioner at any time they desire. Inference shits me( branding someone as racist by simply inferring it).

I think what makes something PC is making speech a SHOULD. We all have choices in how we speak.

Today, we see the words like "moron, idiot, imbecile" and "retarded" as insulting. When I was a youngster, people just saw those words as indicators of something specific: a moron had more mental capacity than an imbecile or idiot, and retarded was the catch-all term for all of them.

If one was an imbecile, one just was, much like if one is an amputee, one just is. Sure, it was insulting to call someone who was none of those things any of those things, but calling someone who was, for example, certifiably an imbecile or obviously retarded was not an insult of any sort.

Why anyone decided there was something wrong with accurately and specifically calling things what they are is beyond me. Whatever....so now we have new terms for things for which in the past we also had perfectly fine terms. I can use the new terms just as adroitly as I used the formerly acceptable ones.

While the terms themselves may have changed, my views about language, PC or otherwise, has not. I don't believe there is any such thing as a bad, vulgar or foul word. I believe there are only bad, vulgar and foul thoughts and intentions. Accordingly, to me, it is context that determines whether any word one uses expresses a vulgar or pejorative idea or doesn't.

Today, we see the words like "moron, idiot, imbecile" and "retarded" as insulting. When I was a youngster, people just saw those words as indicators of something specific: a moron had more mental capacity than an imbecile or idiot, and retarded was the catch-all term for all of them.

If one was an imbecile, one just was, much like if one is an amputee, one just is. Sure, it was insulting to call someone who was none of those things any of those things, but calling someone who was, for example, certifiably an imbecile or obviously retarded was not an insult of any sort.

Why anyone decided there was something wrong with accurately and specifically calling things what they are is beyond me. Whatever....so now we have new terms for things for which in the past we also had perfectly fine terms. I can use the new terms just as adroitly as I used the formerly acceptable ones.

While the terms themselves may have changed, my views about language, PC or otherwise, has not. I don't believe there is any such thing as a bad, vulgar or foul word. I believe there are only bad, vulgar and foul thoughts and intentions. Accordingly, to me, it is context that determines whether any word one uses expresses a vulgar or pejorative idea or doesn't.

But it is important not to read one's own prejudices into another person's remarks or to project what WE would have meant with that word or phrase. The other person may not see it that way at all. I once thanked a members post because she offered a reasoned comment in a heated discussion--I was thanking her for her reasonableness and effort to cool things down, not because of what she had originally said. Another member blasted me and put me on ignore because he interpreted that 'like' as me agreeing with her against him. He was unwilling to accept my explanation and intent. It is that kind of thing--making a huge mountain out of any tiny molehill of misspeak or expressed opinion that creates so much of the pure chaos and hatred among us.

And THAT is what is wrong with political correctness.

There is nothing wrong with "political correctness" other than it's label. It's a cynical way to object to having to address people different from you respectfully.

There is nothing wrong with "political correctness" other than it's label. It's a cynical way to object to having to address people different from you respectfully.

But the point, Dhara, is who am I to tell you what is or is not respectful or polite? For me it is respectful to treat skin color, for instance, as of no more consequence or importance than hair color or eye color. So if I use the same terms or phrases around my black friends and Hispanic friends as I do my white friends, I am treating all as equals and not seeing them as different or some kind of protected class that we have to be really sensitive to or careful with. You know you are my equal and my friend when I am comfortable treating you exactly as I treat everybody else, and I know you are my equal and my friend when you allow me to be who I am without fear you're going to go off the rails if I say something that isn't politically correct.

But the point, Dhara, is who am I to tell you what is or is not respectful? For me it is respectful to treat skin color, for instance, as of no more consequence or importance than hair color or eye color. So if I use the same terms or phrases around my black friends and Hispanic friends as I do my white friends, I am treating all as equals and not seeing them as different or some kind of protected class that we have to be really sensitive to or careful with. You know you are my equal and my friend when I am comfortable treating you exactly as I treat everybody else, and I know you are my equal and my friend when you allow me to be who I am without fear you're going to go off the rails if I same something that isn't politically correct.
I don't think it's really a question of someone "going off the rails", but would it bother you if someone merely stated their preference for how they prefer to be addressed? Surely you don't object to beingculturally sensitive?

Say you refer to my mate as "my partner" and I correct you that I call her "my wife".

But the point, Dhara, is who am I to tell you what is or is not respectful? For me it is respectful to treat skin color, for instance, as of no more consequence or importance than hair color or eye color. So if I use the same terms or phrases around my black friends and Hispanic friends as I do my white friends, I am treating all as equals and not seeing them as different or some kind of protected class that we have to be really sensitive to or careful with. You know you are my equal and my friend when I am comfortable treating you exactly as I treat everybody else, and I know you are my equal and my friend when you allow me to be who I am without fear you're going to go off the rails if I same something that isn't politically correct.
I don't think it's really a question of someone "going off the rails", but would it bother you if someone merely stated their preference for how they prefer to be addressed? Surely you don't object to beingculturally sensitive?

Say you refer to my mate as "my partner" and I correct you that I call her "my wife".

I wouldn't correct you if you referred to my husband as my partner or my significant other or whatever non insulting term you use even though I refer to him as hubby or my husband. I pretty much allow people to be who they are and speak the language they use unless they are being boorishly or intentionally offensive.

But of course I would respect your wishes as to what your wanted your wife to be called. But I would not feel constrained to not use the term 'partner' ever again anywhere. The guys next door when asked about their status refer to each other as partners. And so sometimes do the unmarried heterosexual couple across the street. Each to their own. Live and let live. And don't force everybody to live in the same box.

I wouldn't correct you if you referred to my husband as my partner or my significant other or whatever non insulting term you use. I pretty much allow people to be who they are and speaking in the language they use unless they are being boorishly or intentionally offensive.

But of course I would respect your wishes as to what your wanted your wife to be called. But I would not feel constrained to not use the term 'partner' ever again anywhere. The guys next door when asked about their status refer to each other as partners. And so sometimes do the unmarried heterosexual couple across the street. Each to their own. Live and let live. And don't force everybody to live in the same box.
That's why we're different. I would WANT you to correct me if I presumed you weren't married. I don't find corrections like that offensive. There are good reasons why married LGBT may not want to use the term "partner". Either it means "sexual partner" which limits the relationship or "business partner" which an intimate marriage is more than business.

I wouldn't correct you if you referred to my husband as my partner or my significant other or whatever non insulting term you use. I pretty much allow people to be who they are and speaking in the language they use unless they are being boorishly or intentionally offensive.

That's why we're different. I would WANT you to correct me if I presumed you weren't married. I don't find corrections like that offensive. There are good reasons why married LGBT may not want to use the term "partner". Either it means "sexual partner" which limits the relationship or "business partner" which an intimate marriage is more than business.

And I treat people who consider themselves in the LGBT community exactly like I treat everybody else and I use the same non offensive (to me) language with them as I use with everybody else. That's how I show respect, by not considering one group of friends to be different or separate from another and not assuming that I need to walk on eggs and carefully measure every word around grown up, intelligent people. And the PC police hate me too. :)

And I treat people who consider themselves in the LGBT community exactly like I treat everybody else and I use the same non offensive (to me) language with them as I use with everybody else. That's how I show respect, by not considering one group of friends to be different or separate from another and not assuming that I need to walk on eggs and carefully measure every word around grown up, intelligent people. And the PC police hate me too. :)
So, you would not show me and other married LGBT respect? Why not?

I guess it's just one way we differ Foxfyre. If someone went out of their way to explain to me why something is or isn't offensive I would try and accomodate them rather than say or do something deliberately hurtful.

Forum List

Back