Why I'm voting Democrat Part 2: Romney's insult to cops/firemen

The Real Message Behind Mitt Romney’s Anti-Police And Firefighters ‘Gaffe’ | Mediaite

All the right wingers of the political world who are in power (mayors, govs, councils) seem to share the same idea: It's open season on cops and firemen. Lump them into the evil "government worker" label, and start slashing away.

This story didn't get reported much at all. Why? Well, maybe because I used to watch mostly FoxNews, and they just didn't spend a lot of time on it. I'm sure CNN, NBC, etc, didn't either.

And the above article sums it up so well. Romney and the right wing TP need votes from the right wing and independents. Which are mostly middle and upper class, many live in suburbs, and many are white. Which is fine. But the article explains, perfectly, that THOSE voting groups aren't as dependent on cops and firemen as, say, those in inner city ghettos. It says in those places, reductions in cops wont cause "someone to die" as a result. Thus, the voters accept it and dont really care. Again....just government workers, which are BAD.

Which is why I personally think "they" dont get it. Many on the right and in the TP live in the suburbs or in safe rural areas. They see a cop here and there. Probably live in fairly safe areas, with the biggest problems being speeding, DUI, some minor thefts. To them, "more cops" not only makes no sense, but they see TOO MANY cops. (Note: Often the case in cities the cops have helped make safe, the locals feel they are no longer necessary). Same with firemen. No one needs a fireman until their house is on fire.

What they dont realize is most FD's also have certified paramedics on the truck. And respond to ALL medical calls. So a person having a minor medical problem has a paramedic show up. If he/she can treat it there, guess what? It's free. You dont pay for an ambulance ride. You dont pay for an ER visit. Which means healthcare costs never happen. Good for everyone involved.

Unless you're the rich TP'er who sees the fire truck stopped at Subway for lunch and think "what a waste of my tax dollars to have so many fire trucks".

Sorry but cops and firemen are among the least productive people in society. Firemen especially.

Nah, keep bringing it on. See, unlike many, I'm truly not afraid of my principles. If it means voting for someone I never thought I would, so be it. A man makes decisions not from peer pressure, but from what he feels is right. No one would walk with their left eye closed just because the pretty view is on the right, would they? Well, some would. The Tea Party was a great thing from 2009 til about a year ago, in my humble opinion. My views are just more represented by Democrats mostly right now. I've got the courage to admit that, and vote that way.

What principles? I don't see you having any.

The old "I used to be a Conservative (uh huh, really, truly) and then I saw the light" was old and boring and unconvincing when David Brock did it, you think it gets MORE convincing and effective with the passing years?

LOL

Name change, Dude; maybe Bucs Starkey or Jake Brock, something where we'll have no idea its your new name

So you think I was a fake right winger for.......the past 4 years on USMB.....just to all of a sudden jump out and say I'm switching in August 2012?

Wow:eusa_clap: Thats a doozy.

They live in Doozy! The entire media is against them! The entire school system is out to get them! Scientist are secret democrats! All teachers want to indoctrinate children into Dem teachings!

Do you think they wont believe that you have been working undercover for 4 years on the internet just to get them?

No. I am saying that " love thy neighbor" has nothing to do with federal expenditures. Unless, of course, you believe the admonishment is a sufficient justification to take money from the taxpayers. Which is apparently what you believe, or you would not have used it to justify federal expenditures.

Ok. Then forget the Bible. Forget the whole conversation.

Breaking News: Honolulu in massive fire from eruption; Honolulu FD is overwhelmed. LAFD, and other West Coast FD's, can't drive there.

Would you, as president, send aid? Or say "Sorry folks, the constitution doesn't grant me the authority to help"?

Very...simple...question.

I can't forget your OWS parasite definition of " love thy neighbor".

But I am confused by your scenario. You say the other west coast fire depts. can't drive to Honolulu, which is true. But it is also true that the Feds can't drive there. So what is it that the Feds can do that the states cannot?

"Love thy neighbor" translated as: If your neighbor is in need, try to help. Yeah, thats so OWS extremist right?

As for the scenario, I suppose the Feds would have these big ole airplanes, C17's, and they have civilian AND military firemen. Lots of big ass planes and equipment and personnel. So see, they would be able to help Hawaii where LA and Seattle couldn't. I know the Constitution doesn't authorize it....but do we really need a law to allow that we help one another???? REALLY?

Anyway, that scenario of a state burning and the Feds having to help with military equipment is far fetched, I admit...........oh wait, no it just happened in Colorado!!!!

BREAKING NEWS!!! Barack Obama violated the Constitution by sending federal firefighting aid to the people of Colorado!!!

TEA PARTY COLORADO WILL HAMMER HIM FOR THAT!!! Right TP's?

So you're saying the Federal Government would have no damn business helping Hawaii out in that scenario because the Constitution doesn't grant the authority? Just a simple question.

No. I am saying that " love thy neighbor" has nothing to do with federal expenditures. Unless, of course, you believe the admonishment is a sufficient justification to take money from the taxpayers. Which is apparently what you believe, or you would not have used it to justify federal expenditures.

Breaking News: Honolulu in massive fire from eruption; Honolulu FD is overwhelmed. LAFD, and other West Coast FD's, can't drive there.

Would you, as president, send aid? Or say "Sorry folks, the constitution doesn't grant me the authority to help"?

What you're talking about in your example would be response to a natural disaster, which would certainly merit help. It is different to expect others to pick up the slack for your city's poor financial management and inability to prioritize.
If I spend my money on dinners out and movies and come up short to pay my electric bill, is it your job to help cover my bill?

The Real Message Behind Mitt Romney’s Anti-Police And Firefighters ‘Gaffe’ | Mediaite

All the right wingers of the political world who are in power (mayors, govs, councils) seem to share the same idea: It's open season on cops and firemen. Lump them into the evil "government worker" label, and start slashing away.

This story didn't get reported much at all. Why? Well, maybe because I used to watch mostly FoxNews, and they just didn't spend a lot of time on it. I'm sure CNN, NBC, etc, didn't either.

And the above article sums it up so well. Romney and the right wing TP need votes from the right wing and independents. Which are mostly middle and upper class, many live in suburbs, and many are white. Which is fine. But the article explains, perfectly, that THOSE voting groups aren't as dependent on cops and firemen as, say, those in inner city ghettos. It says in those places, reductions in cops wont cause "someone to die" as a result. Thus, the voters accept it and dont really care. Again....just government workers, which are BAD.

Which is why I personally think "they" dont get it. Many on the right and in the TP live in the suburbs or in safe rural areas. They see a cop here and there. Probably live in fairly safe areas, with the biggest problems being speeding, DUI, some minor thefts. To them, "more cops" not only makes no sense, but they see TOO MANY cops. (Note: Often the case in cities the cops have helped make safe, the locals feel they are no longer necessary). Same with firemen. No one needs a fireman until their house is on fire.

What they dont realize is most FD's also have certified paramedics on the truck. And respond to ALL medical calls. So a person having a minor medical problem has a paramedic show up. If he/she can treat it there, guess what? It's free. You dont pay for an ambulance ride. You dont pay for an ER visit. Which means healthcare costs never happen. Good for everyone involved.

Unless you're the rich TP'er who sees the fire truck stopped at Subway for lunch and think "what a waste of my tax dollars to have so many fire trucks".

Sorry but cops and firemen are among the least productive people in society. Firemen especially.

Wow. Ok. Give me 25 professions that do more good for society than cops and firemen? This should be a good read........

But I am confused by your scenario. You say the other west coast fire depts. can't drive to Honolulu, which is true. But it is also true that the Feds can't drive there. So what is it that the Feds can do that the states cannot?

"Love thy neighbor" translated as: If your neighbor is in need, try to help. Yeah, thats so OWS extremist right?

As for the scenario, I suppose the Feds would have these big ole airplanes, C17's, and they have civilian AND military firemen. Lots of big ass planes and equipment and personnel. So see, they would be able to help Hawaii where LA and Seattle couldn't. I know the Constitution doesn't authorize it....but do we really need a law to allow that we help one another???? REALLY?

Anyway, that scenario of a state burning and the Feds having to help with military equipment is far fetched, I admit...........oh wait, no it just happened in Colorado!!!!

BREAKING NEWS!!! Barack Obama violated the Constitution by sending federal firefighting aid to the people of Colorado!!!

Are we debating reason or emotion?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdctDMW241Q&list=UUrPr-Eov9aiI9nQVPsyhFxQ&index=8&feature=plcp]Ep. 2 "Theme & Variation" - YouTube[/ame]

Making necessary budgetary decisions has nothing to do with "hate", but has everything to do with fiscal responsibility............

If local and state bureaucrats had managed their resources better there wouldnt be a need for such measures.............

But the martyrdom of cops, firemen and teachers by leftists has been absolutely precious !!!!!!!!!

Civil servants UNITE ! lol
"Servants" don't earn salaries.I've had "servants" help me twice in the last month. The bomberos(volunteer firemen) came and kicked the shit out of a hive of killer bees( with organic chemicals, of course) and da GF got a free ride one hour to the hospi for tachycardia via the volunteer rescue squad.
I'm lookin' at my employees SS benefits and see an $8 charge, to me, for bomberos y rescate. Fine. On the side I donated a Yamaha Raptor to them last year to traverse landslides if need be(6K).
My tax dollars working for us. How fucking stupid !

What you're talking about in your example would be response to a natural disaster, which would certainly merit help. It is different to expect others to pick up the slack for your city's poor financial management and inability to prioritize.
If I spend my money on dinners out and movies and come up short to pay my electric bill, is it your job to help cover my bill?

And the collapse was a financial disaster. Many cities couldn't afford to keep cops on their streets (for basic public safety) and the Feds helped out.

Would you had rather the citizens be left to fend for themselves?

But to the philisophical point the Tea Party guys were trying to make: Does the Federal Government HAVE or NOT HAVE the authority to send aid to a state in the form of fire or police services? Did you know the United States Marine Corp....yes, the USMC...assisted LAPD in the LA riots of the early 90's? Was that CONSTITUTIONAL? Was it needed?

That's not how you were using love thy neighbor. You weren't offering to help. You were offering to love your neighbor by having the Feds use taxpayer money to help. That is an OWS parasite definition of love thy neighbor.

And I was not aware that states only had ground transportation to help with natural disasters. I really did not know that.

I know there are fucked up things about the right, but the fucked up things about the left are more fucked up than the fucked up things about the right, don't you think?. Ok I know this bashing of cops and firefighters and government workers is a stupidity, but I also think it would be more productive if you try to fix things on your side instead of just jumping to the other side.

Last edited:
Just trying to get a straight answer from the Tea Party guys since they are so mad at me.

Does the federal govt have the constitutional authority to send fire or police (public safety) aid to the states in times of need?

If not, what should the answer be? Other states? Why should other people pay for helping another state, whether they border them or not?

The TP logic of late seems to keep going in philosophical circles, depending on the topic at hand. They support our troops who are helping other nations in need.....but say it would unconstitutional for our same federal government to send aid to states within our borders in need.

Just be consistent. If the constitution doesn't allow either, I expect to see TP'ers at some protests against foreign non-combat deployments of our troops.

Just trying to get a straight answer from the Tea Party guys since they are so mad at me.

Does the federal govt have the constitutional authority to send fire or police (public safety) aid to the states in times of need?

If not, what should the answer be? Other states? Why should other people pay for helping another state, whether they border them or not?

The TP logic of late seems to keep going in philosophical circles, depending on the topic at hand. They support our troops who are helping other nations in need.....but say it would unconstitutional for our same federal government to send aid to states within our borders in need.

Just be consistent. If the constitution doesn't allow either, I expect to see TP'ers at some protests against foreign non-combat deployments of our troops.
When has the tea party complained about the use of federal resources to assist in a natural disaster?

That's not how you were using love thy neighbor. You weren't offering to help. You were offering to love your neighbor by having the Feds use taxpayer money to help. That is an OWS parasite definition of love thy neighbor.

And I was not aware that states only had ground transportation to help with natural disasters. I really did not know that.

Um.......yeah, thats exactly what I meant. TAXPAYERS paid for our troops to go help out in Haiti. Should we instead have let that island just go straight to hell? Taxpayer money was used to help the Navy take aid to the tsunami victims. Should we say "Go buy a snorkel you losers, my tax money aint for yous to have!!!" No, we helped. If a state can't afford to keep firetrucks gassed to respond to calls, SHOULD WE HELP? Yes, we should.

And yes, most Fire Depts do not have aircraft. If they do, they sure wouldn't make it to Hawaii. Thats why Colorado had to turn to asking the Feds to use the military C17's, which seemed to thankfully get that awful fire under control out there.

Wow. Ok. Give me 25 professions that do more good for society than cops and firemen? This should be a good read........

25? I don't have all day. I'll give you 5. If you still want more after that I'll think about it.

Level of cops' productivity is about 50k a year
Average Police Patrol Officer Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

In contrast, we have the following more productive people

1. CEO - The average CEO makes 729k a year. Over 14 TIMES as productive as the average cop.
Average Chief Executive Officer Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

2. Physicians - 3.5 times as productive as cops
Average Physician - Family Practice Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

3. Data management directors - 2.6 times as productive as cops
Average Data Management Director Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

4. Pipelines director - 2.24 times as productive as cops
Average Pipelines Manager Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

5. Chemical engineer 4 - 2 times as productive as cops
Average Chemical Engineer IV Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

When has the tea party complained about the use of federal resources to assist in a natural disaster?

None that I see. My point is they are taking the stand that the Constitution doesn't grant the Feds the authority to send aid to the states for fire/police, because it just doesn't say it in the papers. So if it doesn't allow the Feds to send aid, that would make all aid technically unconstitutional. Which is silly. And why they need to see that always taking a 100% strict interpretation of the document is not grounded in reality these days.

Their end goal is protect society. What is good for society? First you must have one. What does that consist of? Then you must protect it. What does that consist of? There is the individual. Then there is the family. Then there is the business or the farm. Then there is civil government/society. Then there is political government/society. In this case, the chicken did indeed come before the egg. For without the chicken there would be no egg. Read John Locke's Second Treatise and ask again your question. In a society founded on individual liberty the cops and firefighters are the necessary evil to defend individual liberty that fosters societal advancement. Therefore they are good for society. However, individual liberty itself is what’s best for society and the moment that police and firefighters, i.e. government “become destructive of these ends,” (whether violently or politically) is the moment they are a detriment to society.

On second thought, none of this matters unless you want the federal government to look after your cops and your firefighters at my expense. Don’t ask me to bail out the pension/budgets of your public employees when it all falls apart. Build your liberal utopia Detroit, L.A., California, Chicago, San Bernardino. Just don't ask me to pay for it! I certainly wont ask you to pay for mine. Deal?

Last edited:

25? I don't have all day. I'll give you 5. If you still want more after that I'll think about it.

Level of cops' productivity is about 50k a year
Average Police Patrol Officer Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

In contrast, we have the following more productive people

1. CEO - The average CEO makes 729k a year. Over 14 TIMES as productive as the average cop.
Average Chief Executive Officer Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

2. Physicians - 3.5 times as productive as cops
Average Physician - Family Practice Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

3. Data management directors - 2.6 times as productive as cops
Average Data Management Director Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

4. Pipelines director - 2.24 times as productive as cops
Average Pipelines Manager Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

5. Chemical engineer 4 - 2 times as productive as cops
Average Chemical Engineer IV Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

HAHAHA!!! So epic. So you measure "productivity" in pure salary? Thats a hardcore right wing corporatist stereotype, but sure, whatever.

So.....by your logic.....LeBron James is more productive than all the above careers combined???

Wait, this gets better:

So Sean Penn, Rosie ODonnell and George Clooney, combined, are 10 times more productive for society than the entire US Marine Corp????

By your logic, yes, simply because they earn more money.

Is that the modern right wing's ideals?

Their end goal is protect society. What is good for society? First you must have one. What does that consist of? Then you must protect it. What does that consist of? There is the individual. Then there is the family. Then there is the business or the farm. Then there is civil government/society. Then there is political government/society. In this case, the chicken did indeed come before the egg. For without the chicken there would be no egg. Read John Locke's Second Treatise and ask again your question. In a society founded on individual liberty the cops and firefighters are the necessary evil to defend individual liberty that fosters societal advancement. Therefore they are good for society. However, individual liberty itself is what’s best for society and the moment that police and firefighters, i.e. government “become destructive of these ends,” (whether violently or politically) is the moment they are a detriment to society.

Damn. So now cops and firemen are a "detriment to society"? Well shit, I hope they dont bother showing up if you dial 911 for something.

This is getting better by the minute. Im seeing I made the right choice.

Vote republican OR ELSE!

Tow the line or YOU'RE A RINO!

Lockstep or GET TO STEPPING!

See the Tolerant right? ....Me neither

And I was one of the ones who always accused Democrats of that mindset. I recall Tea Party types bitching about why blacks would never change their mind and vote Dem. I suppose changing one's mind..............IF ONLY FOR ONE ELECTION CYCLE.....and plan to reasses afterwards.......is a sin against humanity.

so you think we should embrace your stupid ass for putting obama into a second term? really?

Um.......yeah, thats exactly what I meant. TAXPAYERS paid for our troops to go help out in Haiti. Should we instead have let that island just go straight to hell? Taxpayer money was used to help the Navy take aid to the tsunami victims. Should we say "Go buy a snorkel you losers, my tax money aint for yous to have!!!" No, we helped. If a state can't afford to keep firetrucks gassed to respond to calls, SHOULD WE HELP? Yes, we should.

And yes, most Fire Depts do not have aircraft. If they do, they sure wouldn't make it to Hawaii. Thats why Colorado had to turn to asking the Feds to use the military C17's, which seemed to thankfully get that awful fire under control out there.

Clearly, you have no idea what Jesus was admonishing when he said "thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself". He was definitely not referring to confiscating funds from one neighbor to help another neighbor so that you do not have to do anything yourself. The text simply says nothing towards taxation and expenditures, although that is how OWS parasites see it.

Forum List

Back