Why I Stopped Teaching

1698245035728.png

I work in a very urban district, and the vast majority of my students are very polite. I get "yes sir, no sir, thank you sir" all day long. A lot of people post on this kind of topic from imagination and internet hysteria rather than direct, personal experience.

Why I Stopped Teaching​

For fifteen years, Kali Fontanilla taught middle and high school students in California public schools. Then she abruptly left it behind. Why would a teacher who loves teaching quit her job? Her answer should alarm us all.

Comment: God bless the Unwoke who speak out

It's Prager U, so of course this is the angle you're going to get on "why I stopped teaching". It's anecdotal, so fine, but doesn't bear up with statistics.

Most teachers are quitting because of workload, pay, and terrible behavior.

The content of your post is more prevalent, no doubt some quit for the OP reason too.

When I finished Geology, I went into accountancy, then retail, then finally construction. In the mid 90's, my mother said I should go into teaching but I said, "If I did, I would be sacked for clouting a student". Even back then, behaviour was declining. In 2004, I had to do 3 years construction courses at college. I tell you what, thank goodness I never went into teaching, the students wanted flogged.

Schools should have cameras in classrooms and parents fined for their kid's poor behaviour.

The Left had an "image" of the police, too. Was that valid? What did "Defund the police" do to cities?

That's what this mindset is doing to teaching in real time.
One thing has nothing to do with the other. I can't see a thing that defunding the police has done that has been positive in any way for the cities.

But this isn't about police. It is about the perception that public education is as much or more into indoctrinating children with leftist concepts and ideas than it is in teaching actual honest subjects.

Exactly, and no one was saying it was a monolith as she is trying to imply, and yet attempts to make a blanket attempt to categorize most teachers as 'soft' liberals, whatever that is supposed to be. If the head of the snake is corrupt, then the entire snake needs to be removed. There are areas that are not like this because they are predominantly conservative areas, and they also do not have the issues outlined in the video.
"Soft liberals' in itself is not a dishonest term. My sister and brother-in-law were educators--he rose from football coach and math teacher to superintendent of schools--and I would classify them as soft liberals--not militant, not incapable of discussing something with conservatives, not radical in any way but left of center and voting straight Democrat. I have two wonderful, bright, intelligent great nieces who are teachers who I would classify as 'soft liberals' but not radical or militant. Both teach in Texas, however, that has banned CRT and gender studies at least for young children so that isn't an issue for them.

That also supports Sue's argument that schools aren't all monolithic. For certain some are more radical than others but the radicalization of the school system has become so prevalent it is alarming to millions.

And there is no getting around that the National Education Association and most of the folks recruited to run for the school board these days are full blown 'woke' and I can't see how that can not affect the education children are receiving. You mentioned 'head of the snake' and that is definitely the perception among those who reject most of the 'woke' mentality on practical, logical, reasonable, ethical, and sometimes moral grounds.

Last edited:
The content of your post is more prevalent, no doubt some quit for the OP reason too.

When I finished Geology, I went into accountancy, then retail, then finally construction. In the mid 90's, my mother said I should go into teaching but I said, "If I did, I would be sacked for clouting a student". Even back then, behaviour was declining. In 2004, I had to do 3 years construction courses at college. I tell you what, thank goodness I never went into teaching, the students wanted flogged.

Schools should have cameras in classrooms and parents fined for their kid's poor behaviour.
I would agree to that in a heart beat or at least it would provide support for a student being suspended for a day or three due to unacceptable behavior which was what used to happen when I and my kids were in school. But it would also be evidence of what is being taught in the classroom. That is something I don't think a leftist system would allow.

COVID was a huge eye opener to many parents when instruction was being done via computer. For the first time parents had opportunity to see what their children were being told/taught and many many were absolutely horrified.

I would agree to that in a heart beat or at least it would provide support for a student being suspended for a day or three due to unacceptable behavior which was what used to happen when I and my kids were in school. But it would also be evidence of what is being taught in the classroom. That is something I don't think a leftist system would allow.

COVID was a huge eye opener to many parents when instruction was being done via computer. For the first time parents had opportunity to see what their children were being told/taught and many many were absolutely horrified.
"Spare the rod, spoil the child", is the cause to poor behaviour. All this naughty step, star charts, gifts for being good etc.. has been utter laughable and flawed.

I did some work for a barrister (UK), she said the slipper/cane/ruler was stopped in schools because some were only dishing out the punishment for sexual gratification.

Can't win either way.

When you personally know someone who was high up in OFSTED (the UK body that inspects school) say, "If I had kids, I would never send them to a state school", just goes to show what the system is like. Where parents can, kids are better off home schooled.

I accept her story. But that means you have to stop using the plural.
You can talk about THIS teacher, but don't apply what she says it to TEACHERS.
The same advice might be offered to you and Sweet Sue. My wife taught school for 35 years and retired. She noticed the changes that this video highlighted and they were high on the list of why she retired instead of working until full retirement age. She had no qualms with pay or benefits. My daughter is also a teacher. She started teaching in WA state and was so disgusted with the direction that WA state's public education system was going that she quit and took a pay cut to teach in ID because they were more concerned with education than manufactured social justice problems. Your assertion of why a plurality of teachers are leaving the occupation is no different than the people you are admonishing.

I know Sue to be a pretty level headed person...While there are certainly those in the profession that can not abide by what they see going on in the System these days, I would tend to believe that more of them get out because they feel unsafe to even go do their jobs today...

In fact today, teachers are put in a terrible middle, where students don't respect them, administration doesn't back them up, parents are against them, and they are constantly fighting for resource....

That is, those that actually want to do the job honorably....
Don't the things that you listed suggest that the wrong subjects are being taught in school. Liberal political policies should not be part of any curricula. Morality and social justice should be taught at home--imagine that.

"Soft liberals' in itself is not a dishonest term. My sister and brother-in-law were educators--he rose from football coach and math teacher to superintendent of schools--and I would classify them as soft liberals--not militant, not incapable of discussing something with conservatives, not radical in any way but left of center and voting straight Democrat. I have two wonderful, bright, intelligent great nieces who are teachers who I would classify as 'soft liberals' but not radical or militant. Both teach in Texas, however, that has banned CRT and gender studies at least for young children so that isn't an issue for them.

That also supports Sue's argument that schools aren't all monolithic. For certain some are more radical than others but the radicalization of the school system has become so prevalent it is alarming to millions.

And there is no getting around that the National Education Association and most of the folks recruited to run for the school board these days are full blown 'woke' and I can't see how that can not affect the education children are receiving. You mentioned 'head of the snake' and that is definitely the perception among those who reject most of the 'woke' mentality on practical, logical, reasonable, ethical, and sometimes moral grounds.
I completely agree with you, my point was mainly that even 'soft liberals' are not going to disagree with the content shown in the op video, they're just going to go along with it. Nor would they respond to any survey that what is highlighted in video would be the reason for them having quit teaching.

I talked to my highschool history teacher recently, he taught for nearly 38 years and I asked him if he'd do it again. He told me the early years were a delight and fun and it went down hill in the latter years. Asked him why and he told me today most parents don't care, it's just a huge daycare.

He was a great teacher, he honestly cared. He cared about our education and he cared about his students. I have a ton of respect for him

"Spare the rod, spoil the child", is the cause to poor behaviour. All this naughty step, star charts, gifts for being good etc.. has been utter laughable and flawed.

I did some work for a barrister (UK), she said the slipper/cane/ruler was stopped in schools because some were only dishing out the punishment for sexual gratification.

Can't win either way.

When you personally know someone who was high up in OFSTED (the UK body that inspects school) say, "If I had kids, I would never send them to a state school", just goes to show what the system is like. Where parents can, kids are better off home schooled.
If there was any possible way, I would homeschool my children before I would put them in the public school system. At our former church I was leader of the senior citizen ministry. The senior citizens were treated annually to a lovely dinner hosted, staffed, and served by the church high school youth. Almost all of those kids were home schooled. Bright, personable, intelligent, extremely well mannered, people persons all.

I've mentioned before one of my great nephews was homeschooled by parents who had only a high school education but it was the education the public schools used to produce. (When my sis and bil were teaching actually.) When he was ready for high school he enrolled in the public school. Within two weeks he was begging to come home again because he was so far ahead of his classmates in every subject and they wasted so much time he was extremely frustrated. He finished his high school education at home, went on to college and graduated with honors in four years.

Last edited:

Can't win either way.

It's a little scary actually.

I am my children got an excellent education in the public schools but that was before 'wokeism' became a thing, before the state started taking over the rearing of children even to the point of feeding them two or three meals a day--parents in my day were expected to feed their kids and the school cafeteria was offered only as a convenience for parents instead of a social agency for the hungry.

Children who misbehaved were disciplined at school--detention, even a swat with a ruler--and if their behavior was bad enough they would be suspended for a day or three or a week and the parents had to deal with them. One suspension was usually sufficient to correct the problem as the parents supported the school pretty much universally.

But if my children were school age now, I would home school. No doubt about it.

Forum List

Back