Why higher education should be free

You keep making my point.

We don't deny someone going to college because they didn't smash the ACT/SAT. We don't put them on the plumber track in life because they failed to shine at age 16 years old like in Europe.

My girlfriend is a doctor from Romania where she went straight to Med School out of high school because she "did well on exams."

What kind of crap is that putting pressure on teens to either get a shot at being a doctor or not around 16-17 years old.

In America you can become a doctor after screwing up your SAT/ACT by working your way through a college that isn't Harvard, Yale, MIT.

That is why the USA has the #1 system in the world.

GB -

Again - attendance of univerities here is based on exam scores - not on money.

This is not always the case in the US.

btw, Which country in the world does Newsweek magaines rank #1 in education?

I'll give you a clue - it is NOT the US.

Idiot, if someone has the grades to attend Harvard, many times Harvard will find a way to get them the money for the cost.

I've had friends go to private schools like Stanford, Duke, Harvard, Yale, etc and their families weren't the Romneys.

The Ivy's especially are known for that. Part of the reason why they can is that they have huge endowments. Guess why they have those?

GB -

Again - attendance of univerities here is based on exam scores - not on money.

This is not always the case in the US.

btw, Which country in the world does Newsweek magaines rank #1 in education?

I'll give you a clue - it is NOT the US.

The best universities in the world are in the US, whether you like it or not, Miss Saigon.

What would these "Best" schools rank if we didn't admit foreign students? It would be like the difference between UC Riverside and UC Irvine.

Riverside:

6th in the nation in diversity.
25th on "Great Values, Great Prices" list.
44th among national public universities.
55th among Best Undergraduate Business Programs.
82nd among Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs.

Irvine
UCI ranks first in the nation on list of top 100 universities under 50 years old
Times Higher Education analysis puts it fourth among young institutions worldwide
— Irvine, Calif., June 01, 2012 —
UC Irvine ranks first in the U.S. and fourth in the world among the 100 best universities less than 50 years old, according to an analysis by Times Higher Education. Founded in 1965, UCI also is the youngest university to gain membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities.

The US has - obviouly - some amazing schools. But attendance to them is limited by cash, not by intelligence.

Wrong. Now we know why you could never attend said schools, idiot.

Enjoy those sour grapes.

The Ivies also let in students with Bs and Cs if their parents are alumni that have paid well over the years and there is nothing wrong with that either.

They are a private school and can do what they like. My friend didn't go to Ivy League schools like his classmates that finished below him in high school because he wanted to go to a cheaper "Public Ivy" with better weather and hotter women.

Idiot, if someone has the grades to attend Harvard, many times Harvard will find a way to get them the money for the cost.

I've had friends go to private schools like Stanford, Duke, Harvard, Yale, etc and their families weren't the Romneys.

The Ivy's especially are known for that. Part of the reason why they can is that they have huge endowments. Guess why they have those?

Last edited:
The Ivies also let in students with Bs and Cs if their parents are alumni that have paid well over the years and there is nothing wrong with that either.

They are a private school and can do what they like. My friend didn't go to Ivy League schools like his classmates that finished below him in high school because he wanted to go to a cheaper "Public Ivy" with better weather and hotter women.
]

To be fair, there are a lot of cute girls at Harvard too.

Squeese -

The reason to invest in education is not for self-interest - it's about what is best for the whole country.

Personally, I think there are many advantages to living in a society with such high levels of education. I do think people vote better, make better decisions about their lives, their money....

You also find that systems (like our) that are not driven by money are driven by higher standards. It is not easy to get into a Finnish Univesrity, so people get pushed a bit harder, too.

I spent a small fortune. I worked long hours at shitty jobs and studied hard.

In other words, you got an education. Good for you!

I find this offensive, I went into debt to secure my college education, and 30 years later I went into debt once again to educate my children, and they are and were not majoring in subjects that would not provide them a skill without employment opportunity. As for Ivy league schools, fact, if you are not of the correct demographics you will not get in on their dime, period end of sentence. One issue several fail to grasp is that the undergraduate curriculum at a state funded school is the same as that of a prestigious Ivy League school, the primary difference is that of the work ethics of the students.

My undergrad alam mater, UNC @ Chapel Hill, comes in at #57 in the world and #29 in the USA and it is a public university.

It is heavily subsidized by the NC taxpayer to keep school costs for "NC residents" low while the out of state costs around up in the $20,000 per year range today. The school also makes billions in research and donations from alumni/supporters. It is hard to get into UNC from out of state, which I did from Illinois.

It is a good model of the US university where the state taxpayer supports the school to improve life through research and producing graduates, but the students also have to pay for their costs at various levels.

UNC is also constantly building more buildings on the old campus and the 2 new satellite campuses around Chapel Hill. I would love to compare UNC's annual capital projects improvements to European schools that are supposed to be the model.

Oh, I'll gladly compare how many foreign students are attending UNC compared to those European schools with US students, outside Oxford and Cambridge.

Last edited:
As for Ivy league schools, fact, if you are not of the correct demographics you will not get in on their dime, period end of sentence.

That's not true. If a student is poor but deemed worthwhile, the Ivy's will go to significant lengths to help them afford their education.

Yes...and many times they won't.

The US system is not based on test scores alone - our system is.

Which is why we have a higher rank in education than the US does.

The Ivies have plenty of inner city youth on their sports teams that don't give out athletic scholarships like other schools....but they somehow find a way to pay for their education.

Of course a kid from the ghetto attending Harvard and playing PG on their basketball team must've hid away $120,000 for his college.....

As for Ivy league schools, fact, if you are not of the correct demographics you will not get in on their dime, period end of sentence.

That's not true. If a student is poor but deemed worthwhile, the Ivy's will go to significant lengths to help them afford their education.

Top 20 universities in the world....

1) MIT
3) Harvard
7) Yale
8) U of Chicago
9) Princeton
10) Cal Tech
11) Columbia
12) Penn
14) Cornell
15) Stanford
16) Johns Hopkins