Why higher education should be free

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dissent, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Dissent

Dissent BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +214
  2. daphillenium

daphillenium Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've got kids in school now in fourth and first grade. We've been supplementing their education at school with our own instruction at home recently.

Khan academy is, in my opinion, going to be a revolution of the way we educate our young ones.

It's completely free and has thousands of subjects! There are schools trying out a new way of teaching kids. It's a reversal of how we do things now. Instead of homework at home, the kids learn the material through text and online videos. They then go to school where they aren't seperated into "grades" by age. They are grouped with others in their same developemental level. They then teach each other by doing homework together with a teacher there to assist. I always heard in the military the best way to learn is to teach! The students cannot move on until they absolutely master the level they are currently in.

Then you've got all kinds of higher education available for free now as well, for example MIT open course ware. Google it. It's great!

I don't think kids will be going to school like we did for much longer.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    By ending the government monopoly on affordable education.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,148
    So your a big government libertarian now?

btw real education is free. we are all free to read whatever book we want.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Dissent

Dissent BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +214
    So getting government out of education is all of a sudden going to make education free or at least affordable? How?

6. eflatminor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    Dude, does your own tagline not contradict the idea of "free" college? You want us to know that, as an Anarcho-capitalist, you see "the only just basis for law as arising from private property norms and an unlimited right of contract between sovereign individuals."

Your free education is going to largely come from...property tax! Further, how are contractual rights of individuals hoping to compete in the education market being treated under system of government controlled education?

In short, what Marxist nonsense is this!

7. Dissent

Dissent BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Who pays the teachers/professors if education is free/affordable..I mean who the hell has thousands of dollars laying around to educate themselves with?this just doesn't make sense to me...is there a book by Friedman/Rothbard/Paul I can read? Anyone will do as long its something about education from a libertarian point of view and how it can be achieved.

8. naturegirl

naturegirl Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +862
    Come on, government cannot properly educate students in K-12. Do you honestly think making higher education free will make Americans smarter??

Government should get out of education altogether as long as there are teacher's unions.

9. Dissent

Dissent BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I have 3 kids I would love to know how they are supposed to afford college minus them getting a scholarship of some kind...

10. eflatminor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    Free? Hell no! You know what's free? Something that isn't worth shit.

A free market in education would however introduce the competition and innovation necessary to drive prices down and customer satisfaction (aka, results) up. That's what a competitive marketplace does.

It's been said before...Public educators, like Soviet farmers, lack any incentive to produce results, innovate, to be efficient, to make the kinds of of difficult changes that private firms operating in a competitive market must make to survive.