Why higher education should be free

Oh lookie, the psycho starts another stupid thread. :eusa_whistle:

So what about the top PRIVATE schools in America like Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, etc??? Are they allowed to keep charging for their schools?

So you want the state schools to be FREE, the state taxpayers need to pay more in taxes so that little kiddies like you get to pay nothing in school? Insane.

So what about the dumb people that can't get into college....why should they pay for someone's college bills?

What about paying for the teachers at these FREE schools.....oh, even more taxes.

You are just so fucking stupid that it's clear you can't get into a junior college.

Bob Samuels: Why All Public Higher Education Should Be Free

Tell me why this would be wrong? Do we want a nation of idiots? Ya see what that got us...Bush for 2 terms and Obama so far for one....seriously tell me how normal people can afford college without going into extreme debt...

Last edited:
Squeese -

The reason to invest in education is not for self-interest - it's about what is best for the whole country.

Personally, I think there are many advantages to living in a society with such high levels of education. I do think people vote better, make better decisions about their lives, their money....

You also find that systems (like our) that are not driven by money are driven by higher standards. It is not easy to get into a Finnish Univesrity, so people get pushed a bit harder, too.

Squeese -

The reason to invest in education is not for self-interest - it's about what is best for the whole country.

Personally, I think there are many advantages to living in a society with such high levels of education. I do think people vote better, make better decisions about their lives, their money....

You also find that systems (like our) that are not driven by money are driven by higher standards. It is not easy to get into a Finnish Univesrity, so people get pushed a bit harder, too.

Yeah, but take a look at some of the "well educated".... Obama being a prime example.... they're colossally clueless and know nothing of any real value. I mean, seriously, eight years studying Latin Studies qualifies one to do what? Teach Latin Studies?

Fuck you scumbag. My entire point is how are we supposed to do this so our entire lives aren't spent paying back 100's of thousands of dollars in debt for a college degree....

Do you also expect to get a car for free? A house? Anything else you'd like at everyone else's expense, dear?

the fact that you compare a college education to a car speaks to your ignorance and disrespect for education.

everyone should be able to aspire to higher education.

if someone is not suited for college, it should be because they don't have aptitude or desire... it should not be because their daddy wasn't the governor of a state and their grand daddy wasn't a senator.

student loans have been backed by the government and given without regard to credit worthiness.

the trade off for that is those loans take precedence over all debts but taxes and, like taxes, aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy.

the fact that you see no value in education... well, that speaks for itself.

I hope you and your straw man will be very happy together, but he has NOTHING to do with anything I said. That was a poor and clumsy attempt.

The best universities in the world are in the US, not *snicker* Finland.

College should be for those willing to put in the work, not just hangout there for FREE.

We already have a prime example of FREE education in high school where students fail, dropout, etc because they don't feel the need to do the work since they don't have a dime on the line.

If we did that in college then we would have more deadbeats just go to college for FREE wasting 1-8 years of their lives partying it up on the taxpayer dime.

When a student has to pay the majority of their school costs, there is some negative impact to failing courses. I was motivated in college to not fail because my parents and I had money on the line as well as my future.

If state colleges are FREE then the quality of education will go down the tubes and we will have a bigger system of haves (private) and have nots (public) just like what liberals bitch about in life. At least now people can attend a public school like I did and it is better than some private schools, but forget about it if it become FREE for anyone with a pulse.

A college degree does not mean an education by any stretch. A college degree today has the same effect as giving a degree to the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

College should be for those willing to put in the work, not just hangout there for FREE.

In reality, the opposite happens.

Free universities means more competitive entrance exams because places are limited, and more tightly scheduled degree courses for the same reason.

Squeese -

I spent a small fortune. I worked long hours at shitty jobs and studied hard.
Foul, I cry

I've got kids in school now in fourth and first grade. We've been supplementing their education at school with our own instruction at home recently.

Khan academy is, in my opinion, going to be a revolution of the way we educate our young ones.

It's completely free and has thousands of subjects! There are schools trying out a new way of teaching kids. It's a reversal of how we do things now. Instead of homework at home, the kids learn the material through text and online videos. They then go to school where they aren't seperated into "grades" by age. They are grouped with others in their same developemental level. They then teach each other by doing homework together with a teacher there to assist. I always heard in the military the best way to learn is to teach! The students cannot move on until they absolutely master the level they are currently in.

Then you've got all kinds of higher education available for free now as well, for example MIT open course ware. Google it. It's great!

I don't think kids will be going to school like we did for much longer.

It is not FREE it is paid for through donations.
Just like this site is paid for through donations.
This site would not be here for anyone if no one paid for it.
Get it through your heads that nothing is free.
Everything must be paid for by people.
I bet you would use that MITT site and never pay a donation to it at all.
Just like the majority do here at this site.
It's the attitude I don't have to pay for it because everyone else is. This thinking so absolutely wrong.
It's called being a freeloader, a mooch, a free rider and many think that it's fine to be that way.

Last edited:
Peach -

Every pays taxes. Everyone can go to university.

I agree that it is not "free" per se, but it is a better system of bringing poorer families into higher education.

Here, education is a right, and one people feel passionately about because it works.

Fuck you scumbag. My entire point is how are we supposed to do this so our entire lives aren't spent paying back 100's of thousands of dollars in debt for a college degree....

Do you also expect to get a car for free? A house? Anything else you'd like at everyone else's expense, dear?

the fact that you compare a college education to a car speaks to your ignorance.

Oh really? Let's see; they are both expensive, both of value, both things you can live without but that may be necessary to achieve certain career goals, and both obtainable by anyone willing to take on the responsibility of paying back a loan to finance them if one does not have a huge lump sum to pay all at once. That about right?

Some people commit to a lot of $$ for a fancy-looking one that turns out to be useless. Other people go in for less frilly models that are solid and help them get work done right away.

Finally, if the government were to just give them away for free we would end up with nothing but Ladas* on the road, and people would crash or abandon them willy-nilly because no one would see any value in them.

* http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/03/us-russia-car-idUSBRE8420DI20120503

Last edited:
Strange, it looks like US colleges are the majority of the best in the world....

QS World University Rankings - Topuniversities

If a country with 300 million people didn't have top universities, I'd be worried.

The US has - obviouly - some amazing schools. But attendance to them is limited by cash, not by intelligence.

Here attendance is limited by grade scores - not bank balances.

The US has the BEST system in the world as my rankings show. :eusa_whistle:

We don't eliminate students in high school from their college dream because they didn't do well on a test like the ACT/SAT. The best students go to MIT, Harvard, Stanford while the rest go to other schools.

in Europe most students are kicked to the curb when they aren't viewed as worth sending to college, but in the US nobody can deny someone from going to college.

In reality, the opposite happens.

Free universities means more competitive entrance exams because places are limited, and more tightly scheduled degree courses for the same reason.

GB -

Again - attendance of univerities here is based on exam scores - not on money.

This is not always the case in the US.

btw, Which country in the world does Newsweek magaines rank #1 in education?

I'll give you a clue - it is NOT the US.

Idiot, if someone has the grades to attend Harvard, many times Harvard will find a way to get them the money for the cost.

I've had friends go to private schools like Stanford, Duke, Harvard, Yale, etc and their families weren't the Romneys.

The US is the best system in the world, period. Only the UK can come close with their 4-5 schools that have been around longer than the USA.

Strange, it looks like US colleges are the majority of the best in the world....

QS World University Rankings - Topuniversities

If a country with 300 million people didn't have top universities, I'd be worried.

The US has - obviouly - some amazing schools. But attendance to them is limited by cash, not by intelligence.

Here attendance is limited by grade scores - not bank balances.

Forum List

Back