Why have a standing Army Policy?

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
I think the best military policy for America right now is to bring all of our US troops home, and cut the Military budget by about 95%, just enough to keep the lights on and maintain equipment. The military represents over 50% of the budget (50-54%).

Then start depending on volunteer militia and National Guard from the states for any in country defense, and forget any outside country which is the jurisdiction of the UN.

I think the best military policy for America right now is to bring all of our US troops home, and cut the Military budget by about 95%, just enough to keep the lights on and maintain equipment. The military represents over 50% of the budget (50-54%).
Um.... no. More like 18-18.5% of total federal outlays.
You're confusing "the budget" with "discretionary spending".

Then start depending on volunteer militia and National Guard from the states for any in country defense, and forget any outside country which is the jurisdiction of the UN.
This completely ignores the current state of the world and the subsequent threats to our national interest.

Lol,

That would be a little extreme. I think we could cut Military Spending by 20-30% and that would make a huge dent in deficit spending. We need a sizable military, trained and ready, it just doesn't need to be the size it is in my opinion. Also Special forces are vitally important, as opposed to your National Guard/volunteer militia plan...

OK...I'll bite.

But only if we junk Medicare/Medicaid, the departments of Education, Energy, Commerce, Labor, HHS, DHS & TSA, the idiotic "war" on (some) drugs - including the DEA & ATF , EPA, FCC, Corporation for Public Broadcasting - including PBS & NPR, Fannie & Freddie, farm subsidies...For starters.

Deal?

Lol,
That would be a little extreme. I think we could cut Military Spending by 20-30% and that would make a huge dent in deficit spending.
FY2009 DoD Spending:...$655.8B
FY2009 deficit:..............$1550.0B
-Total- DoD spending compared to deficit = 42%
30% of defense spending = $196.5B
$196.5B = 12.6%
A 12.6% reduction is "huge"?

For some REAL effect in reducing the deficit, lets cut entitlements by 30%.

Cut the Military budget by 95%? what do you want the Military to do defend the country in their boxers and socks with water guns?:eusa_liar:

Maybe you are, but I am not.

FederalBudgetPieChart.jpg

This completely ignores the current state of the world and the subsequent threats to our national interest.

Forget your national interests. The US stands for the United States, and the sooner you make that connection the better off you will be. Let the UN do their job, and worry about about your own ass, or go start yourself an Army to go die for a foreign cause.

Cut the Military budget by 95%? what do you want the Military to do defend the country in their boxers and socks with water guns?:eusa_liar:

Did you read the post? What did I tell you to do with the MILITIA & NATIONAL GUARD? Hmm? This is clearly a comprehension lesson.:eusa_angel:

Last edited:

Did you read the post? What did I tell you to do with the MILITIA & NATIONAL GUARD? Hmm? This is clearly a comprehension lesson.:eusa_angel:

The Militias are a bunch of redneck drunk pieces of shit, I don't want them "defending" anything, and the National Guard are mostly weekend warriors, we need a strong Active Duty Military.

95%?

There wouldn't be enough people to defend NJ.
The National guard is part of the DoD, isn't it?

Malitias? good lord, you clearly don't understand what goes into training people to work as a unit, let alone get the basics done.

Boot camp is 8 - 12 weeks. And that's just to learn the basics.

I'm all for closing overseas bases. Let those countreis fend for themselves.

But 95% is comical.

What would you do with all the Vets that are suddenly unemployed and unprepared for civilian life?

Lol,
That would be a little extreme. I think we could cut Military Spending by 20-30% and that would make a huge dent in deficit spending.
FY2009 DoD Spending:...$655.8B
FY2009 deficit:..............$1550.0B
-Total- DoD spending compared to deficit = 42%
30% of defense spending = $196.5B
$196.5B = 12.6%
A 12.6% reduction is "huge"?

For some REAL effect in reducing the deficit, lets cut entitlements by 30%.

Frankly, yeah. 12.6% is a nice chunk. I also agree, we could cut entitlements by about 30%, another big chunk of the deficit addressed. We should get rid of the Bush tax cuts for top earners as soon as the economy is on stronger footing. We won't have to spend on things like TARP or stimulus every year, so that's another big chunk. A lot more than 1/2 of it would be gone if we do all of the above. We also should get greater revenues from a better economy in the future.

Lol,

That would be a little extreme. I think we could cut Military Spending by 20-30% and that would make a huge dent in deficit spending. We need a sizable military, trained and ready, it just doesn't need to be the size it is in my opinion. Also Special forces are vitally important, as opposed to your National Guard/volunteer militia plan...

Why do you need sizable trained army bigger than a few militia & National Guard. Mexico can't wipe their ass, and anyone else you have a nuke for. Just let the UN do their job. You want Special forces? Use your 5% wisely, they can stay ready and mop the barrack floors.

The biggest problem we are having here is understanding where America is at, and where the US troops are at. We owe nobody, nothing.

"There are instruments so dangerous to the rights of the nation and which place them so totally at the mercy of their governors that those governors, whether legislative or executive, should be restrained from keeping such instruments on foot but in well-defined cases. Such an instrument is a standing army.”

--Thomas Jefferson; letter to David Humphreys (1789)

"There are instruments so dangerous to the rights of the nation and which place them so totally at the mercy of their governors that those governors, whether legislative or executive, should be restrained from keeping such instruments on foot but in well-defined cases. Such an instrument is a standing army.”

--Thomas Jefferson; letter to David Humphreys (1789)
And yet, the power to create such a thing was given to the federal government - and to the federal governement, exclusively - by the Constitution.

Maybe you are, but I am not.
In fact, that is -exactly- what you are doing.
FY2009 total spending: $3518.2B
FY2009 DoD spending: $655.8B = 18.6%

Your numbers do not include everything the Pentagon spends, such as VA & Homeland Security, CIA, etc.

Historical Budget Data

Forget your national interests.
The entire purpose of the US military is to protect the national interest.

No, it isn't. It is to protect the United States. National Interests is some bullshit corporations threw in there. Time you stick NI where the sun don't shine and get your own house in order. Let the UN do their job, just like the rest of the countrys on the globe.

OK...I'll bite.

But only if we junk Medicare/Medicaid, the departments of Education, Energy, Commerce, Labor, HHS, DHS & TSA, the idiotic "war" on (some) drugs - including the DEA & ATF , EPA, FCC, Corporation for Public Broadcasting - including PBS & NPR, Fannie & Freddie, farm subsidies...For starters.

Deal?

Anytime you want to sign on. All Volunteer Government Party (AVGP)

Forum List

Back