Name Your Cuts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Common Sense, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Common Sense

Common Sense BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    So with the big gains by the Repubs in the last election the political landscape has changed again. Repubs campaigned on a mantra of cutting spending and cutting the deficit. But I have yet to hear a viable solution for either.

Case in point the tax cuts on the table. There is not argument from me that is our money and we should be able to keep more of it. (although we do have some of the lowest taxes rates in history) But in order to offset the tax cuts, there obviously needs to cuts made to spending.

The reality is though that defense, medicare, medicaid and interest on the debt account for approx 85% of the federal budget. that leaving 15% of the budget let, even if we were to eliminate the entire other 15% we would still fall short of cutting the deficit. Now neither Repubs or Dems are willing to make cuts to any of these previously listed programs out of fear of a backlash by voters. So where do these cuts come from?

suggestions........

2. shintao

shintao Take Down ~ Tap Out

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Cut the military 95%, and make them make due, by bring our military home.

3. Common Sense

Common Sense BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44

so you think we shouldnt keep and maintain a military? that effectively what a 95% cut means.

and did you also miss the part where i said neither repubs or dems are willing to cut defenSE?

4. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Everything. No sacred cows. Starting with the biggest first. Yep, I'm pointing at you military. Do we really need established bases in some 52 countries across the globe? And don't get me started on that back up, state-of-the-art jet engine.........

Disolve the federal dept. of education. Edcucation takes micro management to meet the indiviudal learning needs of millions of children. A federal dept. that can only set standards for everyone can not effectively do that. Leave it to the states to fund and districts to do it how they see best.

Entitlements must fundamentally change. I would like everyone to take responsibility for funding their after working years, but here's my compromise. After x date Social Security is going to mean what it says. Specifically the 'security' part. I am fine with helping people that truly need help so I say we all agree that social security only goes to those that can show a need. Being the humanitarians we all agree to pay into it with the understanding that it's only going to be used by those that need it (not sure about the constitutionality of that though). That should make it solvent and maybe even lower the SS payroll tax.

5. Common Sense

Common Sense BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    i will just add opinion to your cuts (some of which i think are viable btw) and hope for a response.

if we simply close foreign military bases i see this impact:

1 - how many jobs will be lost?
    2 - will the president and other diplomats have save places to land abroad?
    3 - if we need to defend ourselves abroad, from where would we be able to launch attacks

Department of Education - annual budget $46.7 billion (1.9% of the 2010 federal budget)

i can see reason for reducing the department. but if we were to cut this department completely.

1 - how would we set standards for testing and college admissions?
    2 - would states need to have agreements that a diploma in one state is equal a diploma in another state? and if so, who would state the standards across state lines?

Social Security (i agree needs to be reformed as well)

1 - how do you overcome the argument of the people who will simply say "well if im never going to receive SS, then why should i pay into the system"
    2 - what should the cut off be in retirement age and income levels to qualify?

6. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    for starters, we can stop subsidizing aviation insurance.

Start phasing out farm subsidies.

Immigration laws provide for the confiscation of farmland on which illegal immigrants labor. This can then be auctioned off for cash to pay down the debt. We need to seriously scale back our commitments to world policing.

Scrap Medicaid Part D, and simply limit the intellectual property rights on patent medicine to what is needed to recoup the companies investment in research and developement.

7. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,720
    Before we cut anthing that affects American households we should cut off ALL foreign welfare, all foreign wars, and all foreign occupation. It that doesn't do it go to the next thing on the list. Cut congressional pay and benefits, cut off their ability to exempt themselves to any law they pass.

8. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,480
    The occupiers get paychecks, hence that affects American households.

9. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,794
    Here's a good approach from Reason:

The CBO, the non-partisan agency charged with estimating the effects of legislation on government costs, has produced a long-term budget outlook in which Bush-era tax rates remain unchanged. Their conclusion is that over the next decade, "government revenues would remain at about 19 percent of GDP, near their historical averages." That's actually a bit higher than the historical average, but is within the bounds of reason.

A balanced budget in 2020 based on 19 percent of GDP would mean $1.3 trillion in cuts over the next decade, or about $129 billion annually out of ever-increasing budgets averaging around $4.1 trillion. Note that these are not even absolute cuts, but trims from expected increases in spending.

To get a more concrete sense of what getting to 19 percent means, here is a table of projected major budget expenditures in total dollars, followed by the amount that needs to be cut each year from the expected budget to get an annual 3.6 percent decrease across the board.

Looking at the chart below, the question becomes: Could you, say, find $129 billion dollars of cuts in a 2016 budget that squeezes through the door at $4.3 trillion?

[​IMG]

How to Balance the Budget Without Raising Taxes - Reason Magazine

All it takes is $129B per year, without piling on new programs.

10. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,720
    so you are in favor of continuing to occupy Iraq. yes?