Why have a standing Army Policy?

"There are instruments so dangerous to the rights of the nation and which place them so totally at the mercy of their governors that those governors, whether legislative or executive, should be restrained from keeping such instruments on foot but in well-defined cases. Such an instrument is a standing army.”

--Thomas Jefferson; letter to David Humphreys (1789)
And yet, the power to create such a thing was given to the federal government - and to the federal governement, exclusively - by the Constitution.

True. But such power ought to be limited to actual necessity, and be checked by the power of the people over the prerogative of the executive

I think the best military policy for America right now is to bring all of our US troops home, and cut the Military budget by about 95%, just enough to keep the lights on and maintain equipment. The military represents over 50% of the budget (50-54%).

Then start depending on volunteer militia and National Guard from the states for any in country defense, and forget any outside country which is the jurisdiction of the UN.

Wonderful idea.

And when some country decides to take advantage of that policy by mounting an invasion we can expect the militia to get their act together, meet up, reactivate all their equipment, and repel the invasion instantly.

Now I know why you think this is a good idea, you are bat shit crazy.

Lol,

That would be a little extreme. I think we could cut Military Spending by 20-30% and that would make a huge dent in deficit spending. We need a sizable military, trained and ready, it just doesn't need to be the size it is in my opinion. Also Special forces are vitally important, as opposed to your National Guard/volunteer militia plan...

Why do you need sizable trained army bigger than a few militia & National Guard. Mexico can't wipe their ass, and anyone else you have a nuke for. Just let the UN do their job. You want Special forces? Use your 5% wisely, they can stay ready and mop the barrack floors.

The biggest problem we are having here is understanding where America is at, and where the US troops are at. We owe nobody, nothing.

I have to ask, since I don't know you.

Do you support using nukes to win wars or is that a joke, like nuke'm all let god sort them out?

Cut the Military budget by 95%? what do you want the Military to do defend the country in their boxers and socks with water guns?:eusa_liar:

Did you read the post? What did I tell you to do with the MILITIA & NATIONAL GUARD? Hmm? This is clearly a comprehension lesson.:eusa_angel:

The Militias are a bunch of redneck drunk pieces of shit, I don't want them "defending" anything, and the National Guard are mostly weekend warriors, we need a strong Active Duty Military.

Then defend it yourself. You do have choice. In fact if your feeling macho, just jump right over to Afghan as a mercenary soldier. Personally, I don't care if they piss all over themselves.

No, it isn't. It is to protect the United States. National Interests is some bullshit corporations threw in there.
You clearly do not understand that to protect the United States, the national interest of the United States much be protected. The economy of the United States, for instance, is closely tied to any number of external factors, many, if not most of which, have a significant security compoent.

Disagree? One word:
SLOC

Let the UN do their job, just like the rest of the countrys on the globe.
THis is laughable. The UN cannot surecure a wet paper bag. Relying on the UN for anything other than a good laugh is no different than driking Liquid Drano.

I think the best military policy for America right now is to bring all of our US troops home, and cut the Military budget by about 95%, just enough to keep the lights on and maintain equipment. The military represents over 50% of the budget (50-54%).

Then start depending on volunteer militia and National Guard from the states for any in country defense, and forget any outside country which is the jurisdiction of the UN.

Cut the Military budget by 95%? what do you want the Military to do defend the country in their boxers and socks with water guns?:eusa_liar:

We tried this post WW I.... we ended up with more horses than vehicles.

95%?

There wouldn't be enough people to defend NJ.
The National guard is part of the DoD, isn't it?

Malitias? good lord, you clearly don't understand what goes into training people to work as a unit, let alone get the basics done.

Boot camp is 8 - 12 weeks. And that's just to learn the basics.

I'm all for closing overseas bases. Let those countreis fend for themselves.

But 95% is comical.

What would you do with all the Vets that are suddenly unemployed and unprepared for civilian life?

How many billion do you figure you need to polish toilet seats?

Yeah right, the un has done such a fine job so far. They are more incompetent than the dimwits. Remember the last time the military was cut back? Clinton did it and guess what? we were attacked, more than once. Typical dimwits.

Did you read the post? What did I tell you to do with the MILITIA & NATIONAL GUARD? Hmm? This is clearly a comprehension lesson.:eusa_angel:

The Militias are a bunch of redneck drunk pieces of shit, I don't want them "defending" anything, and the National Guard are mostly weekend warriors, we need a strong Active Duty Military.

Then defend it yourself. You do have choice. In fact if your feeling macho, just jump right over to Afghan as a mercenary soldier. Personally, I don't care if they piss all over themselves.

What the fuck are you talking about?:cuckoo:

Just when I thought you could not get any more ignorant... you take it to a whole new level

Um.... no. More like 18-18.5% of total federal outlays.
You're confusing "the budget" with "discretionary spending".

This completely ignores the current state of the world and the subsequent threats to our national interest.

Why do we have national interests that require us to have troops all over the planet and to be almost perpetually in a state of war(s)?

You don't see other nations having to do that. What makes them special? What makes South Korea, or Germany, or Japan, or Brazil, or South Africa, or Russia, or Australia so different that they can seem to get by just find, national interest-wise,

without doing what we do?

Someone has not read History. WW2 proved we needed a large standing Army. Korea proved we could not disband it at the end of the War.

Our military needs to grow by several divisions of active duty troops and we need the States to return to ACTIVE militia training.

We need to INCREASE Defense spending.

someone has not read history. Ww2 proved we needed a large standing army. Korea proved we could not disband it at the end of the war.

Our military needs to grow by several divisions of active duty troops and we need the states to return to active militia training.

We need to increase defense spending.
amen!!!

Why do we have national interests that require us to have troops all over the planet and to be almost perpetually in a state of war(s)?
The most obvious reason is that the global economy is interdependent.

You don't see other nations having to do that. What makes them special?
Easy. They can't.

What makes South Korea, or Germany, or Japan, or Brazil, or South Africa, or Russia, or Australia so different that they can seem to get by just find, national interest-wise,
without doing what we do?
-We- do it, as they cannot..

Someone has not read History. WW2 proved we needed a large standing Army. Korea proved we could not disband it at the end of the War.

Our military needs to grow by several divisions of active duty troops and we need the States to return to ACTIVE militia training.

We need to INCREASE Defense spending.
I worry most about the lessons of the war in Iraq/Afghanistan leading us to a point where we are so focued on small-scale asymetrical war that we reorganize ourselves so far towards that extreme that we lose the ability to effectively fight a conventional war.

Wonderful idea.

And when some country decides to take advantage of that policy by mounting an invasion we can expect the militia to get their act together, meet up, reactivate all their equipment, and repel the invasion instantly.

Now I know why you think this is a good idea, you are bat shit crazy.

What country would be stupid enough to attempt an invasion of America? How would they invade, from where, how many? Just more reason to put US troops on US soil, before disbanding them. Bush Sr. spent about 2-3 months in the ME, just getting ready to invade. We send troops to the ME all the time that have no training. They learn to die over there.

Are we going to hurl names asshole?? I care less if you like the idea. How many troops do you want on US soil besides the National Guard? How about we cut 90% of the military budget? You like that?

Forum List

Back