Why don't we ban alcoholic beverages instead of making it illegal to drive drunk?

Like Ray alluded to, I would trust most drunk drivers then people texting or using a cell phone while driving, the person who had a few drinks is paying attention to the road wants to get home not get busted. The person using the cell phone could give a rats ass..
Why would you trust either one?

From a professionals point of view, I think I would rather drive around a person that had one too many than a texter.

You're not a professional. You're a truck driver you have no empirical evidence of anything. You don't know who drank how much of what or if they are even drunk. You're guessing at best.

Nope, I've seen both many times to be quite honest. In fact one of our straight truck drivers recently got into an accident with some kid. At a high rate of speed, he crossed the median and slid right under his truck. He hit our truck so hard, his car spun the truck around to face the opposite way. Our driver was uninjured, but Lord knows what happened to that kid. Alcohol played no part according to the police. He was texting.

The one thing about a truck is you have a view of what people are doing while they drive. Too many morons playing with their phone instead of paying attention. Like a drunk, they are drifting out of their lane, hitting their brakes the last minute, doing stupid things like cutting in front of trucks with only a few feet to spare. I'd much rather drive around a drunk.

This is a funny thread. The same anti-government assholes that argue that we can't have single payer, free college or help our poor now want to lock people up for drinking. WTF?

Once again it proves that you only care about hurting people and taking away peoples freedom. Liberal policies allow for freedom but it accurately also balances for safety that is badly needed.

How is not paying for somebody else's college, their healthcare, their way of life taking away freedom?

That's not taking away freedom. What is taking away freedom is people going to work to support others that don't want to work or work very little. After all, that's what slavery was all about; forcing people to work so you didn't have to work yourself.

Drunk driving kills roughly 30 people EVERY SINGLE DAY IN AMERICA.

Alcohol is legal to consume with certain age and location limitations.

Drunk Driving is illegal....yet it happens...and people die.

We should ban all alcohol to make sure we never have any more drunk driving fatalities.

It's the only way to be sure and save 10,000 lives per year in America.

Who taught you history? Never heard of prohibition? Banning alcohol was tried, and failed.

We should ban all alcohol to make sure we never have any more drunk driving fatalities.

I've always thought that if you get drunk, get in a car, and kill someone, you should be charged with murder in the first and face the death penalty.

fairly certain after a couple of executions, things would get safer.

Like Ray alluded to, I would trust most drunk drivers then people texting or using a cell phone while driving, the person who had a few drinks is paying attention to the road wants to get home not get busted. The person using the cell phone could give a rats ass..

From a professionals point of view, I think I would rather drive around a person that had one too many than a texter.

You're not a professional. You're a truck driver you have no empirical evidence of anything. You don't know who drank how much of what or if they are even drunk. You're guessing at best.

Nope, I've seen both many times to be quite honest. In fact one of our straight truck drivers recently got into an accident with some kid. At a high rate of speed, he crossed the median and slid right under his truck. He hit our truck so hard, his car spun the truck around to face the opposite way. Our driver was uninjured, but Lord knows what happened to that kid. Alcohol played no part according to the police. He was texting.

The one thing about a truck is you have a view of what people are doing while they drive. Too many morons playing with their phone instead of paying attention. Like a drunk, they are drifting out of their lane, hitting their brakes the last minute, doing stupid things like cutting in front of trucks with only a few feet to spare. I'd much rather drive around a drunk.

Dude, it's anecdotal at best and there are and should be more laws against using your phone while driving. What that has to do with also having laws against drunk driving is beyond me.

Who taught you history? Never heard of prohibition? Banning alcohol was tried, and failed.

Thanks. Now I know how the Kennedys got their money.

Banning alcohol for prohibition was not about drunk driving.

I am saying if we ban guns because of mass shootings, we should ban alcohol because of drunk driving,

I've always thought that if you get drunk, get in a car, and kill someone, you should be charged with murder in the first and face the death penalty.

I say the same thing about people texting while driving, putting make up on while driving, eating while driving....

I say the same thing about people texting while driving, putting make up on while driving, eating while driving....

There we go.

Instead of making it illegal to text and drive, we should ban all cell phones in America,

Dude, it's anecdotal at best and there are and should be more laws against using your phone while driving. What that has to do with also having laws against drunk driving is beyond me.

What enforceable laws could you make about using your cell phone while driving? A cop can't see into your car when your phone is below window level.

What enforceable laws could you make about using your cell phone while driving? A cop can't see into your car when your phone is below window level.

Laws are already in place. You might as well be saying "Yeah, but if I only speed when there are no cops around." Doesn't work that way, you usually get caught when you're not paying attention.

I've long advocated this as basis for the future design of our roadways:

BumperCars4.jpg

Laws are already in place. You might as well be saying "Yeah, but if I only speed when there are no cops around." Doesn't work that way, you usually get caught when you're not paying attention.

SOME cities and states have laws, but there are no national laws about cell phones.

Until they make a system where an officer can track what your phone was doing during an accident, it's impossible to prove whether a cell phone had anything to do with it or not. The only federal law we have is against truck drivers talking on a cell phone.

There should be NO laws against selling booze to drunk people. It's an affront to our freedoms. And NO BANS on booze that will make you go blind. It's a free market world out there, and we have a RIGHT AGOD GIVEN RIGHT to do what we want!

"Why don't we ban alcoholic beverages instead of making it illegal to drive drunk?"

Same reason the United States Government acknowledged that SMOKING is a serious health risk that decreases the health of millions of Americans, leads to all kids of diseases, and will kill you .. but refuses to make it illegal, choosing instead to sue the tobacco industry - more than 1 time, I believe, for a ton of money yet allowed the industry to keep selling / addicting new generations onto their 'death sticks'.

MONEY!

Question for you, which direction are laws moving in regard to drinking and driving?

Which way are republic pols backed by NRA money moving laws on guns and access to them?

Forum List

Back