Why don't we ban alcoholic beverages instead of making it illegal to drive drunk?

And while there are more cars on the road than ever, drunk driving fatalities are down.

I am not talking drunk driving, I am talking about drinking a beer, or are you a 4 year old little girl?

Yeah, and common sense laws stopping people from having 'a beer' while driving appear to have lowered the number of drunk driving fatalities. Poor, bear, the law just won't allow it.

Fatalities have decreased thanks to manufacturing improvements that make cars far more capable of taking a hit. Much of that technology has come from the racing world, and has nothing to do with regulations. The number of drunk driving crashes has remained about the same over the last 20 years.

No, the number of traffic fatalities and injuries caused by drunk driving has gone down by percentage of all accidents. In other words, less drunk driving.

From the National Review:
Sobering Success

Since the beginning of serious DUI-reform efforts in the early 1980s, we have seen the number of drunk-driving deaths and drunk-driving injuries substantially reduced — by half, across the board, and by more than that when it comes to young people. In the 1970s, alcohol was a factor in 60 percent of traffic deaths and nearly 70 percent of traffic deaths involving young people. Today, that share is closer to a third in both groups. And that’s a smaller share of a smaller total group of fatalities: In 1982, 5,244 people age 16 to 20 died in drunk-driving accidents; by 2008, that number had fallen to 1,987.

Maybe, but nobody is having fun anymore.

That's your problem.

Like Ray alluded to, I would trust most drunk drivers then people texting or using a cell phone while driving, the person who had a few drinks is paying attention to the road wants to get home not get busted. The person using the cell phone could give a rats ass..

And trust me, nobody knows that more than a truck driver. That's why I now have a dash cam in my truck.

Sure, why not?

Well, most likely it will increase drunk driving accidents and fatalities. Sorry, you're just going to have to drink in mom's basement.

You on't even know who has been drinking and driving drunk.

Right, hence the no drinking, makes it easier for the cops.

Btw you lie..

Americans are still way too tolerant of drunken driving

Despite some success lowering the percentage of alcohol-related highway deaths to 29.2 percent of all traffic fatalities, that still means that 10,265 people were killed in 2015. That's a 3.2 percent increase over 2014. It's still almost a third of all traffic deaths.

Jesus, look at the big picture.

Total+Drunk-Driving+Fatalities+Per+Million+Population.jpg

Did we have seat belt laws in 1982 Einstein?

Read my last post, Quayle.

What does that have to do with you trying to give credit where no credit is due? Once again did we have seat belt laws in 1982 and like westwall said the cars are waaaayyy safer.

Like Ray alluded to, I would trust most drunk drivers then people texting or using a cell phone while driving, the person who had a few drinks is paying attention to the road wants to get home not get busted. The person using the cell phone could give a rats ass..
Why would you trust either one?

Why bother to have laws against drunk driving, since it won't stop people from driving drunk?

Exactly we already have laws against reckless driving .

The laws against drunk driving are in part to PREVENT reckless driving.

And yet they don't. Clearly. Instead they give the government a platform to punish someone. They prevent nothing, they allow a method to punish a bad act. The problem is the punishment isn't severe enough.

Well, most likely it will increase drunk driving accidents and fatalities. Sorry, you're just going to have to drink in mom's basement.

You on't even know who has been drinking and driving drunk.

Right, hence the no drinking, makes it easier for the cops.

Btw you lie..

Americans are still way too tolerant of drunken driving

Despite some success lowering the percentage of alcohol-related highway deaths to 29.2 percent of all traffic fatalities, that still means that 10,265 people were killed in 2015. That's a 3.2 percent increase over 2014. It's still almost a third of all traffic deaths.

Jesus, look at the big picture.

Total+Drunk-Driving+Fatalities+Per+Million+Population.jpg

Did we have seat belt laws in 1982 Einstein?

Read my last post, Quayle.

What does that have to do with you trying to give credit where no credit is due? Once again did we have seat belt laws in 1982 and like westwall said the cars are waaaayyy safer.

Well, if you read that post you would see that drunk driving fatalities and injuries went down as a matter of percentage of all fatalities/injuries and not just raw numbers....that answers your question, or it should unless you have brain damage.

You act like it was never legal before..

And while there are more cars on the road than ever, drunk driving fatalities are down.

I am not talking drunk driving, I am talking about drinking a beer, or are you a 4 year old little girl?

Yeah, and common sense laws stopping people from having 'a beer' while driving appear to have lowered the number of drunk driving fatalities. Poor, bear, the law just won't allow it.

Fatalities have decreased thanks to manufacturing improvements that make cars far more capable of taking a hit. Much of that technology has come from the racing world, and has nothing to do with regulations. The number of drunk driving crashes has remained about the same over the last 20 years.

No, the number of traffic fatalities and injuries caused by drunk driving has gone down by percentage of all accidents. In other words, less drunk driving.

Sobering Success

Since the beginning of serious DUI-reform efforts in the early 1980s, we have seen the number of drunk-driving deaths and drunk-driving injuries substantially reduced — by half, across the board, and by more than that when it comes to young people. In the 1970s, alcohol was a factor in 60 percent of traffic deaths and nearly 70 percent of traffic deaths involving young people. Today, that share is closer to a third in both groups. And that’s a smaller share of a smaller total group of fatalities: In 1982, 5,244 people age 16 to 20 died in drunk-driving accidents; by 2008, that number had fallen to 1,987.

Try checking some more recent statistics. Things run in cycles. The overall number decreased, then in 2009 they began to increase again.

They sure don't make it easy to get busted for a DUI..$$$ court , hours of community service , more $$$ attorney, 1 year suspended silence, more $$$ for a 4 month mandatory class once a week teaching you better tools instead of drinking .
My son crashed his car while under the influence and it has been a life learning experience.

It could have been so much worse..

Sobering Success

Try checking some more recent statistics. Things run in cycles. The overall number decreased, then in 2009 they began to increase again.

Awesome, let's see a link or something, don't forget to compare drunk driving fatalities to non-drunk driving fatalities.

Sobering Success

Awesome, let's see a link or something, don't forget to compare drunk driving fatalities to non-drunk driving fatalities.

"and thousands of deaths each year. An estimated 4 million U.S. adults reported driving under the influence of alcohol at least once in 2010yielding an estimated 112 million alcohol-impaired driving episodes. Men accounted for 81 percent of these incidents.1

Given the rate of driving under the influence of alcohol, it is remarkable that the fatality rate is not greater. Alcohol-related highway crashes accounted for 13,365 deaths in 2010 (as shown in figure 1). In addition, alcohol-related highway crashes annually cost Americans an estimated $37 billion.2

However, drunk driving awareness and enforcement efforts such as Zero Tolerance Laws may be having a positive impact. The percentage of alcohol-related fatalities decreased from 50.6 percent in 1990 to 42 percent in 2009. And all 50 States, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, now have a 0.08 blood alcohol concentration limit for determining if drivers are driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI), up from just 2 in 1990.3Among major crimes, driving under the influence has one of the highest arrest rates with more than 1.4 million DUI arrests in 2010.4"

figure_01.gif

Drunk Driving by the Numbers | Bureau of Transportation Statistics

Just if I had to choose.

I don't know why we got on this, busting people for open container and they are not drunk is just a cash cow....i mean I heard of kids getting busted because they rinsed out their mouth with listerment before under zero tolerance .

From a professionals point of view, I think I would rather drive around a person that had one too many than a texter.

This is a funny thread. The same anti-government assholes that argue that we can't have single payer, free college or help our poor now want to lock people up for drinking. WTF?

Once again it proves that you only care about hurting people and taking away peoples freedom. Liberal policies allow for freedom but it accurately also balances for safety that is badly needed.

I want to know why it's illegal to drink a beer while driving...

Agreed. After all, if we ever did a study, we would probably find that most drunks drive home safely.
I actually feel safer at night. At least the drunks are trying to pay attention to the road.
Its the dumb young female on the phone during rush hour that scares me. Bitches don't even look at the road.

From a professionals point of view, I think I would rather drive around a person that had one too many than a texter.

You're not a professional. You're a truck driver you have no empirical evidence of anything. You don't know who drank how much of what or if they are even drunk. You're guessing at best.

Drunk driving kills roughly 30 people EVERY SINGLE DAY IN AMERICA.

Alcohol is legal to consume with certain age and location limitations.

Drunk Driving is illegal....yet it happens...and people die.

We should ban all alcohol to make sure we never have any more drunk driving fatalities.

It's the only way to be sure and save 10,000 lives per year in America.
We tried that once.... it didn't work.

Why did you tell him?

He was just getting wound up, having a good time and you went and spoiled it.

You're really a killjoy.

Sobering Success

"and thousands of deaths each year. An estimated 4 million U.S. adults reported driving under the influence of alcohol at least once in 2010yielding an estimated 112 million alcohol-impaired driving episodes. Men accounted for 81 percent of these incidents.1

Given the rate of driving under the influence of alcohol, it is remarkable that the fatality rate is not greater. Alcohol-related highway crashes accounted for 13,365 deaths in 2010 (as shown in figure 1). In addition, alcohol-related highway crashes annually cost Americans an estimated $37 billion.2

However, drunk driving awareness and enforcement efforts such as Zero Tolerance Laws may be having a positive impact. The percentage of alcohol-related fatalities decreased from 50.6 percent in 1990 to 42 percent in 2009. And all 50 States, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, now have a 0.08 blood alcohol concentration limit for determining if drivers are driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI), up from just 2 in 1990.3Among major crimes, driving under the influence has one of the highest arrest rates with more than 1.4 million DUI arrests in 2010.4"

figure_01.gif

You didn't read this part?

However, drunk driving awareness and enforcement efforts such as Zero Tolerance Laws may be having a positive impact. The percentage of alcohol-related fatalities decreased from 50.6 percent in 1990 to 42 percent in 2009. And all 50 States, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, now have a 0.08 blood alcohol concentration limit for determining if drivers are driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI), up from just 2 in 1990.3Among major crimes, driving under the influence has one of the highest arrest rates with more than 1.4 million DUI arrests in 2010.4

Thanks for proving my point.

Sobering Success

figure_01.gif

However, drunk driving awareness and enforcement efforts such as Zero Tolerance Laws may be having a positive impact. The percentage of alcohol-related fatalities decreased from 50.6 percent in 1990 to 42 percent in 2009. And all 50 States, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, now have a 0.08 blood alcohol concentration limit for determining if drivers are driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI), up from just 2 in 1990.3Among major crimes, driving under the influence has one of the highest arrest rates with more than 1.4 million DUI arrests in 2010.4

Yes, I did, and I looked at the chart that shows more people were involved in crashes. The reason for the reduction in fatalities is better cars. Thanks for proving MY point.

Sobering Success

figure_01.gif

Yes, I did, and I looked at the chart that shows more people were involved in crashes. The reason for the reduction in fatalities is better cars. Thanks for proving MY point.

No, of all auto fatalities 50.6% in 1990 were alcohol related. In 2009 it was only 42%. Safer cars would impact all casualties across the board, alcohol related and not alcohol related. Do you understand your own link now?

Forum List

Back