Why Doesn't Hollywood Make Truly Uplifting Films Anymore?

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
What Hollywood thinks is good and most Americans (and people in general) thinks is uplifting are quite different.

Sometimes I scratch my head when I read reviews on movies. Movies about racial oppression, spousal abuse, typical stereotypes the left wants to force down our throats, these receive high ratings even though they are sometimes terrible movies.

v1.bTsxMTE2ODk3MTtqOzE3NjA1OzIwNDg7ODAwOzEyMDA

A perfect example was "There Will Be Blood", a story about how a miner uses a church congregation to make himself rich while stealing oil from their land. A movie that allows moviegoers to see just how deplorable the oil industry was at it's beginnings, but it also gets to show how screwed up religion can be at the same time. Two for the price of one. It received praise and also some Oscars of course. Daniel Day Lewis got the best actor nod with his portrayal of a greedy Oil Barron so evil that he would put J.R. Ewing to shame. With it's foreboding soundtrack and twisted script it shows the dark underpinnings of the oil industry that Hollywood sees in everything they don't like. It's only memorable line is "I Drink Your Milkshake!!!!" Wow, that's some powerful stuff.
Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gives a score of 91% based on reviews from 216 critics, with an average rating of 8.4/10. The consensus reads, "Widely touted as a masterpiece, this sparse and sprawling epic about the underhanded 'heroes' of capitalism boasts incredible performances by leads Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano, and is director Paul Thomas Anderson's best work to date."[29] On Metacritic, the film has an average score of 93/100, based on 42 reviews indicating "universal acclaim".[30] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Will_Be_Blood
This was hoped to be the China Syndrome of fossil fuels. Didn't pan out like they hoped, but nice try.

Lately we are finding out just how twisted Hollywood is. Nobody in their right mind would want to be part of an enterprise that sexually abuses the innocent and plays to the greed of everyone involved. Driving children to drink booze and take drugs to forget the abuse that permeates the industry.
I like uplifting films that show the good in people, not the bad. Apparently there aren't that many good people left in Hollywood.

There's a movie out there that received a 100% rating Rotten Tomatoes called Lady Bird, about a British woman's fight with social services to get her kids back after 4 bad relationships. I may risk renting it on Netflix, but I'm afraid I will be disappointed, because it appears that critics don't have the same idea of what it takes to make a great movie as I do. I like movies that not only entertain but give us good examples on how to live our lives. I think this is asking too much from the film industry because good people are blacklisted and bad people rule.

What Hollywood thinks is good and most Americans (and people in general) thinks is uplifting are quite different.

Sometimes I scratch my head when I read reviews on movies. Movies about racial oppression, spousal abuse, typical stereotypes the left wants to force down our throats, these receive high ratings even though they are sometimes terrible movies.

A perfect example was "There Will Be Blood", a story about how a miner uses a church congregation to make himself rich while stealing oil from their land. A movie that allows moviegoers to see just how deplorable the oil industry was at it's beginnings, but it also gets to show how screwed up religion can be at the same time. Two for the price of one. It received praise and also some Oscars of course. Daniel Day Lewis got the best actor nod with his portrayal of a greedy Oil Barron so evil that he would put J.R. Ewing to shame. With it's foreboding soundtrack and twisted script it shows the dark underpinnings of the oil industry that Hollywood sees in everything they don't like. It's only memorable line is "I Drink Your Milkshake!!!!" Wow, that's some powerful stuff.
Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gives a score of 91% based on reviews from 216 critics, with an average rating of 8.4/10. The consensus reads, "Widely touted as a masterpiece, this sparse and sprawling epic about the underhanded 'heroes' of capitalism boasts incredible performances by leads Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano, and is director Paul Thomas Anderson's best work to date."[29] On Metacritic, the film has an average score of 93/100, based on 42 reviews indicating "universal acclaim".[30] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Will_Be_Blood
This was hoped to be the China Syndrome of fossil fuels. Didn't pan out like they hoped, but nice try.

Lately we are finding out just how twisted Hollywood is. Nobody in their right mind would want to be part of an enterprise that sexually abuses the innocent and plays to the greed of everyone involved. Driving children to drink booze and take drugs to forget the abuse that permeates the industry.
I like uplifting films that show the good in people, not the bad. Apparently there aren't that many good people left in Hollywood.

There's a movie out there that received a 100% rating Rotten Tomatoes called Lady Bird, about a British woman's fight with social services to get her kids back after 4 bad relationships. I may risk renting it on Netflix, but I'm afraid I will be disappointed, because it appears that critics don't have the same idea of what it takes to make a great movie as I do. I like movies that not only entertain but give us good examples on how to live our lives. I think this is asking too much from the film industry because good people are blacklisted and bad people rule.
I stopped going to movies, because I just don't give a damn about Hollyweed anymore... May they all go bankrupt and be on welfare, see what it is like to be a victim of liberalism...

I stopped going to movies, because I just don't give a damn about Hollyweed anymore... May they all go bankrupt and be on welfare, see what it is like to be a victim of liberalism...

Well, that being the case, does it really matter what kind of movies be produced?

They do make uplifting movies once in a blue moon.

Extremely rich liberals control Hollywood and we all know liberals must promote their ideology 24/7. As such, they almost always put their biases and prejudices in their movies.

The last first-run movie I watched was "Avatar". It was pretty good, and had a positive message.

The last first-run movie I watched was "Avatar". It was pretty good, and had a positive message.
Yeah it was a plagiarized version of Disney's Pocahontas. Hollyweed, just recycles old movies and hopes the movie goers don't realize it..

I watched Hacksaw ridge on DVD, was well done, but then it was Mel Gibson, not Weinstein production.

Yeah it was a plagiarized version of Disney's Pocahontas. Hollyweed, just recycles old movies and hopes the movie goers don't realize it..

I watched Hacksaw ridge on DVD, was well done, but then it was Mel Gibson, not Weinstein production.

I'm not really feeling plagiarization of Pocohontas with "Avatar"

That's why independent Christian film companies are becoming box office hits.

I'd like to see a Christmas movie made that doesn't focus on consumerism and greed but isn't so sappy that it makes me want to hurl. Ben Hur was a good one.

Yeah....that all the military wants to do is destroy your homes, kill your people, and take your shit.

Other than that I liked it.
Read the plot when it was being released so never saw it. Don't need to pay for more leftist BS.

I'd like to see a Christmas movie made that doesn't focus on consumerism and greed but isn't so sappy that it makes me want to hurl. Ben Hur was a good one.
Lot of great hidden gems have been made for Christmas lately.
Nativity Story
The Christmas Candle
Christmas with a Capital C
Silent Night
Christmas Card
November Christmas
and least we forget Ernest Saves Christmas

Lot of great hidden gems have been made for Christmas lately.
Nativity Story
The Christmas Candle
Christmas with a Capital C
Silent Night
Christmas Card
November Christmas
and least we forget Ernest Saves Christmas

I don't think "Ernest saves Christmas" was made recently. :rolleyes:

The last movie I went to in the theatre was Deliver us from Eva.

The Mrs. wanted to see it.

Hilarious.

Before that...

Star Wars Episode IV. 1977.

Of the hundreds of movies most were viewed at home.

A perfect example was "There Will Be Blood"

Wow, the best example you could come up with was a movie that came out 10 years ago?

a story about how a miner uses a church congregation to make himself rich while stealing oil from their land. A movie that allows moviegoers to see just how deplorable the oil industry was at it's beginnings, but it also gets to show how screwed up religion can be at the same time. Two for the price of one. It received praise and also some Oscars of course. Daniel Day Lewis got the best actor nod with his portrayal of a greedy Oil Barron so evil that he would put J.R. Ewing to shame. With it's foreboding soundtrack and twisted script it shows the dark underpinnings of the oil industry that Hollywood sees in everything they don't like. It's only memorable line is "I Drink Your Milkshake!!!!" Wow, that's some powerful stuff.

Actually, probably hits too close to home, how religion for centuries has enabled social injustice by telling the stupids that they are going to be rewarded in the afterlife for turning the other cheek in this one.

But to your original point. Most movies today are family friendly, focus-group tested, and ultimately forgettable.

When was the last time you saw a really good sex scene in a movie? You won't. Because that would get a movie an NC-17, or at least an R, and those movies don't make much money.

There are a lot of good reasons movies kind of suck now. One of them is that these movies only really make their money back in the Asian Market, so that means dumbing down the dialog and characterizations so that they can easily be translated.

Another is the idea that action and CGI can make up for lack of plot and characterization.

So in short, there are a lot of problems with Hollywood, but good old morality isn't one of them.

Yeah....that all the military wants to do is destroy your homes, kill your people, and take your shit.

Other than that I liked it.
Read the plot when it was being released so never saw it. Don't need to pay for more leftist BS.
It was good and innovative. I could have done without the insistence on negative stereotypes of the military.

Rotten Tomatoes will rate anything "rotten" if it has any positive Christian themes

Forum List

Back