Movie Theaters Are Dying

I used to be a huge movie goer.....At least once a week.

I haven't been back since the covid shut down the local theater....Don't plan to either.

I almost went to see Oppenheimer but decided I can wait till it comes out on one of the cable channels.

Truth be told there is nothing out there that I really want to see.

Hell, movies these days are so dark you can't tell half of what is going on anyway.

As well as we spent some serious bucks on our Samsung 65" curved TV.
We both like movies so we splurged, and got one of the highest rated ones.
It has a BEAUTIFUL picture. Like Mud says, better than you will ever see in a theatre.
There are just too many advantages to watching at home.

Wait until we all pay the price for lost property tax revenue from office buildings, theaters and Malls.

It’s about to hit the fan.
Malls are done and office buildings have several empty floors but it`s technology that`s slimming the workforce. I watched the same thing happen in a steel mill. They were producing the same tonnage with 30% less workers and the mills that didn`t upgrade are gone. The steel mill where I worked was able to shed their excess through retirements and buy outs. Take the loot and scoot is what I did. This has been going on for 30 years so it never really "hit the fan". Governments adjust when they have to.

Malls are done and office buildings have several empty floors but it`s technology that`s slimming the workforce. I watched the same thing happen in a steel mill. They were producing the same tonnage with 30% less workers and the mills that didn`t upgrade are gone. The steel mill where I worked was able to shed their excess through retirements and buy outs. Take the loot and scoot is what I did. This has been going on for 30 years so it never really "hit the fan". Governments adjust when they have to.
Malls... a LOT of fun when we were young.
The arcades, music stores, restaurants... you could hang out and play games with friends, get some pizza - go to the movies.
I am so - VERY - glad I grew up before cell phones were invented.
Kids today have no idea all of the times they will never have. Instead they sit at home, alone, and post selfies.
Or - even better - go to a friends house and sit around and look at social media and barely speak to each other.
So much fun. :rolleyes:

Ever hear the phrase "When one door closes......another one opens"?

The inventor of rotary dial phones could either go broke or invent DTMF.

And cell phones came after that.

Movie theaters were invented to show movies.
Now we can show movies in our own homes.
They'll have to learn to make money some other way.
Enjoy paying their share of Real Estate Property Taxes while watching the movie at home. 🤦‍♂️

Movie theaters, schools, churches, grocery stores, bowling alleys, etc. are places where people can and have been shot. That`s what makes America the envy of the world. :uhoh3:
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but when was there ever a shooting at a bowling alley?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. My city used to have a bowling alley, but it was recently turned into a storage unit place. Why? I am guessing that the place didn't stay busy enough. I do know that there was never once a shooting there.

lol, you think the Cities are just going to do without the taxes generated by unoccupied bankrupt building?

Good luck with that.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but when was there ever a shooting at a bowling alley?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. My city used to have a bowling alley, but it was recently turned into a storage unit place. Why? I am guessing that the place didn't stay busy enough. I do know that there was never once a shooting there.
Bowling Alleys - that is another thing that is mostly dead.
We had three of them here when I was growing up. Now there is only a small one that also has laser-tag and a roller rink all in one.

Oh - and Drive In theaters!! - great memories going to see movies there. Thankfully there was still 2 open here that I took the kids to before they also closed.

^^^ The bowling alley that was in my city, I will most definitely miss it. I have a lot of good memories of the place before and after the face lift that it was given. Before it was turned into storage unit place, the building couldn't have looked better inside. The bowl scoring was computerized, and the place had a pool table and an arcade area. Where you walked in the place is where a jukebox was, and it included great pictures of my favorite singers on it. :) :) :)

God bless you and my favorites who are still here always!!!

Holly

P.S. My best game ever was bowled in that place. I did a 157 in December of 2021 and my last time there was on my 40th birthday the following year. I believe that my best score that day was 142.

Who would rather risk getting shot, or getting COVID when you can watch 4UHDK movies that are much more clearer at home than anything they can show on the big screen.

No more sticky feet and jerks talking on their phones.
No more spending $50 to pay for a couple of tickets and some popcorn that's too salty.

The most obvious reason is there are very few movies being produced these days that aren't total rubbish. Why spend the time and the gas to drive to a movie theater when you can watch their crap at home and turn it off when it sucks.
I can count on one hand all of the decent films that were at the box office.
Hollywood is going broke because making films costs so much, and they aren't selling that many tickets anymore.

People don't like Hollywood anymore because we know what they think of us.
We can't find anyone we can admire anymore.

For some reason you have to click on the link below to see the Youtube video.....but this guy explains it better.

You sound like an angry old man

I used to be a huge movie goer.....At least once a week.

I haven't been back since the covid shut down the local theater....Don't plan to either.

I almost went to see Oppenheimer but decided I can wait till it comes out on one of the cable channels.

Truth be told there is nothing out there that I really want to see.

Hell, movies these days are so dark you can't tell half of what is going on anyway.
Oppenheimer isn't that good.
They tried to make it like JFK.......and the ending was like a communist propaganda film.
America and their H Bombs shooting into the sky.
Should have had a CCP flag waving in the background.

Who would rather risk getting shot, or getting COVID when you can watch 4UHDK movies that are much more clearer at home than anything they can show on the big screen.

No more spending $50 to pay for a couple of tickets and some popcorn that's too salty.

The most obvious reason is there are very few movies being produced these days that aren't total rubbish. Why spend the time and the gas to drive to a movie theater when you can watch their crap at home and turn it off when it sucks.
Hollywood is going broke because making films costs so much, and they aren't selling that many tickets anymore.

For some reason you have to click on the link below to see the Youtube video.....but this guy explains it better.

Streaming is the primary reason the movie theaters are hurting, not because audiences don't like what Hollywood is producing. Most movie goers fall in the 18-34 age group and this is the age group that Hollywood targets, producing movies with younger more diverse casts.

The 18-34 age group is also the age group with the most streamers which explains why Hollywood is selling movies they normally release to the theaters to streaming services. Thus the same type material they release to the theaters are sold to Netflix and the like. Streamers, unlike movie goers, have many older movies to chose from which provides material for older adults and conservatives who don't like what Hollywood is producing.

Last edited:

My wife and I will sometimes go to the movies. We go to one of those rare very old movie theatres that still exist and are much cheaper than big chains. I prefer the old fashion theatre anyway over the big chains for many reasons, besides being much cheaper. Besides popcorn, drinks, and snacks the theatre also offers free coffee & cake at intermission sometimes. The theatre doesn't rip you off with prices either for food & drinks and is a fraction of what you would pay at a big chain theatre.

Most movies produced today are very lame. There are only a few that I would bother to see.

My wife and I will sometimes go to the movies. We go to one of those rare very old movie theatres that still exist and are much cheaper than big chains. I prefer the old fashion theatre anyway over the big chains for many reasons, besides being much cheaper. Besides popcorn, drinks, and snacks the theatre also offers free coffee & cake at intermission sometimes. The theatre doesn't rip you off with prices either for food & drinks and is a fraction of what you would pay at a big chain theatre.
Where the heck is this?

I didn't think those places existed anymore.

Drive-ins were big when I grew up.
I went to one once and I didn't spend more than a couple of minutes watching the movie.

The last time I went to the cinema was in 2004 to watch Spiderman 2, most amazing film ever. When I got it on DVD, despite having a big Plasma TV, it was crap, because that's the advantage of the cinema.

But never been back because the price of everything is dreadful. I've never been to a film where there was antisocial mayhem going on like what you're describing, and certainly no gun nut jobs in the UK.

The joys of online, it's killed the cinema, newspapers, CD's, DVD's, and generally social skills because todays generations just meet up virtually.

The last time I went to the cinema was in 2004 to watch Spiderman 2, most amazing film ever. When I got it on DVD, despite having a big Plasma TV, it was crap, because that's the advantage of the cinema.

But never been back because the price of everything is dreadful. I've never been to a film where there was antisocial mayhem going on like what you're describing, and certainly no gun nut jobs in the UK.

The joys of online, it's killed the cinema, newspapers, CD's, DVD's, and generally social skills because todays generations just meet up virtually.
I only went for the popcorn and air-conditioning.

Where the heck is this?

I didn't think those places existed anymore.

Drive-ins were big when I grew up.
I went to one once and I didn't spend more than a couple of minutes watching the movie.
The last time I went to a drive-in, I was severely disappointed. I went to see "Closed for the winter" and nearly died of hypothermia. It was the most boring thing I've ever seen.

Forum List

Back