Hollywood films about Africa

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I cant think of one that stands up to scrutiny.
All the ones with british stars are colonial nonsense where africans never even get a line. Check out Sanders of th River for example.
In fact you woukd be hard pressed to find any black actors. Afrixa is just a back drop for colonial shenanigan.
Ive just switched off Snows of Kilimanjaro after 15 minutes of dreary action. How can you misuse Gregory Peck and Susan Hayward.
The American take is just as bad. Consider Hatari where the great white hunters catch animals for zoos with Africans reduced to extras.
Its not just an old time thing. Blood Diamond had De Caprio trying to save poor darkies from diamond smugglers.
Sands of the Kalahari was exciting enough but didnt say much about Africa except avoid red arsed monkeys.
Africa has not been well used by the western film industry.

Have I missed a good one.

I always liked the mini-series Shaka Zulu, though I have not seen it in many years.

From IMDb:

Framed around Queen Victoria's decision on England's political stance towards the Zulu Nation, this mini-series details King Shaka's rise and fall with mythic detail. Prophecy is mixed with recorded fact regarding Shaka's birth, exile, innovations in warfare, assumption of the throne, building of the Zulu Empire, first contact with Europe and the events that lead to his downfall.

I cant think of one that stands up to scrutiny.
All the ones with british stars are colonial nonsense where africans never even get a line. Check out Sanders of th River for example.
In fact you woukd be hard pressed to find any black actors. Afrixa is just a back drop for colonial shenanigan.
Ive just switched off Snows of Kilimanjaro after 15 minutes of dreary action. How can you misuse Gregory Peck and Susan Hayward.
The American take is just as bad. Consider Hatari where the great white hunters catch animals for zoos with Africans reduced to extras.
Its not just an old time thing. Blood Diamond had De Caprio trying to save poor darkies from diamond smugglers.
Sands of the Kalahari was exciting enough but didnt say much about Africa except avoid red arsed monkeys.
Africa has not been well used by the western film industry.
Tommy, your "race" engine seems to be running on fumes.
Have I missed a good one.
Only if you don't appreciate the honesty of my above response.

I always liked the mini-series Shaka Zulu, though I have not seen it in many years.

From IMDb:

Framed around Queen Victoria's decision on England's political stance towards the Zulu Nation, this mini-series details King Shaka's rise and fall with mythic detail. Prophecy is mixed with recorded fact regarding Shaka's birth, exile, innovations in warfare, assumption of the throne, building of the Zulu Empire, first contact with Europe and the events that lead to his downfall.

Not seen that one. Thanks

There was a black guy in that but he was american.
Youre expecting to find a good African actor? Why? Africa isnt known for its film industry. Its virtually non existent. Why would you expect to find a good actor in that environment? Are you really THIS stupid?

Forum List

Back