Why Do the Rich Kids Do Better?

Is a classroom of black students expendable?
Is a classroom of Hispanic students expendable?
Is a classroom of Native American students expendable?
Is a classroom of diverse students expendable?
Are teachers expendable?

Oh yes! I’ll play “isolated incident” game!

Let’s see….Christian ministers are pedos.
Homeschooling is a coverup for child abuse.

What a fun game 😀

So you are ok with demonizing all teachers by promoting isolating incidents as if they were representative then?

No wonder peop,e don’t want to enter or stay in the profession anymore.

52, 800 teacher vacancies.

They don't care.

They're destroying the profession just as the Left destroyed the police. Crime is the reward.

Wait till schools go to four day weeks, and these dunderheads will cry down the moon. But they did it.

You have clamped onto a stupid idea that you have convinced yourself is brilliant, and you won't let it go no matter how many times you have been told that it is impractical and unnecessary.

Moreover as I have told Mac-7 if it's such a great idea, why have not the reddest of red states not implemented it immediately? States with Republican governors and legislatures.

But yet, no one has.

hey mac

MAYBE IT'S A STUPID IDEA

Moreover as I have told Mac-7 if it's such a great idea, why have not the reddest of red states not implemented it immediately? States with Republican governors and legislatures.

But yet, no one has.

hey mac

MAYBE IT'S A STUPID IDEA
The influence of the teaching establishment is strong

Many parents are literally afraid of their children's teachers and defer to them on everything

The influence of the teaching establishment is strong

Many parents are literally afraid of their children's teachers and defer to them on everything

Ron DeSantis is unafraid.

Why doesn't he have live feed cameras in kindergarten classrooms, Mac?

Got anything coherent? Anything at all?

My profession is given to be too "soft", too susceptible to trends without data to back them up. This reflects in the curriculum, sadly, but not in the way that the Moral Panic of the 21st century says. The post by westwall is ridiculous.

My profession is too likely to fall for Lucy Calkins reading BS, which we did for 20 years, wherein we think children looking at pictures is "reading". Mostly--rather than being crones that want to sexually "groom" children--we are people who love children and want them to succeed, and THIS can be our downfall. We are too likely to fall for feel-good, fly-by-night solutions that make "struggling readers" feel good rather than the workhorse lessons that simply get the job done, day after day, year after year.

That is the first problem with the curriculum. IMO it can be traced to the advent of the "self-esteem" movement in the 80s which has been scientifically proven to be largely bunk (see above, children feeling good trumps children learning).

The second large problem is society, frankly.

My fellow conservatives have no answer--they go silent--when I point out that all the problems of society, all of them, come through our doors. I just read about in my area, a mother of seven children who passed away. She was 25 years old. Now the grandmother is attempting to raise them. Of course, the grandmother can try, but she will struggle.

Who will fill in that gap? Of course, the schools. It will be no less than a miracle if any single one of those children comes to school ready to learn academics. They will already be so far, far behind. But according to my fellow conservatives, a five year old coming from this family situation is grown in a lab or something and does not bring past situations with them. So that child should be ready to sit down and learn to read.

Sure.

No one thinks that a child, raised in that situation is going to come prepared. No one. However, it is true that the schools have the children for the vast amount of their waking time.

Riddle me this. Why is the school curriculum so bad? Why is my girl, at 16, so far ahead of every other high school student?

I will take responsibility for some of that, as will her mom, we instilled a love of learning in her from the beginning. We also meted out rewards for excellence, but encouraged her to try things she felt were beyond her ability. We let her know that it is OK to fail

It is not, however, ok to quit. So now, she is dual enrolled in high school, which she shouldn't have to waste time in, but the school district requires, and college, where she is excelling, and is actually challenged.

Is she smart? You betcha. But she was never coddled either. You modern teachers are so damned worried about hurting kids feelings that you never challenge them.

I spend a lot of time in schools now. Private schools, especially the catholic ones do very well. They don't coddle the kids, and they demand good work output.

Their students, when they go to public schools, almost always excel. Not so for the regular middle schoolers.

Why is that? What is the difference? Don't tell me it is money because the catholic schools spend slightly more than half per student, as the public schools, but put out far superior students.

Why is that?

You tell me.

Again, if I'm wrong, why aren't red states with red govs and red legislatures rushing to implement this?

THINK

Teachers unions prevent it for the most part. At least here in nevada.

They don't care.

They're destroying the profession just as the Left destroyed the police. Crime is the reward.

Wait till schools go to four day weeks, and these dunderheads will cry down the moon. But they did it.
[/Nevada.

How is wanting accountability, and better outcomes for students, and better control over curriculum at the local level, wanting to destroy teaching?

Be specific.

When the best American students compete with their peers around the world we usually finish near the bottom

If American education was the best in the world teachers like SweetSue92 would be busting their buttons with pride

But instead they dont know nuthin’ ‘bout ‘nuthin

Since schools are funded by property taxes, the answer is obvious. Their schools are better funded.

No one thinks that a child, raised in that situation is going to come prepared. No one. However, it is true that the schools have the children for the vast amount of their waking time.

Riddle me this. Why is the school curriculum so bad? Why is my girl, at 16, so far ahead of every other high school student?

I will take responsibility for some of that, as will her mom, we instilled a love of learning in her from the beginning. We also meted out rewards for excellence, but encouraged her to try things she felt were beyond her ability. We let her know that it is OK to fail

It is not, however, ok to quit. So now, she is dual enrolled in high school, which she shouldn't have to waste time in, but the school district requires, and college, where she is excelling, and is actually challenged.

Is she smart? You betcha. But she was never coddled either. You modern teachers are so damned worried about hurting kids feelings that you never challenge them.

I spend a lot of time in schools now. Private schools, especially the catholic ones do very well. They don't coddle the kids, and they demand good work output.

Their students, when they go to public schools, almost always excel. Not so for the regular middle schoolers.

Why is that? What is the difference? Don't tell me it is money because the catholic schools spend slightly more than half per student, as the public schools, but put out far superior students.

Why is that?

You tell me.

If you read my comments to Coyote you would see I have acknowledged that as a profession we are too soft. We are women-dominated for one thing; we are too prone to never, never want to cause children hurt. But learning is growth, and growth often hurts. It is worth it. The growing is worth it.

The larger problem is this is, of course, not just limited to kindergarten and first grade teachers, who are expected to be "soft" and gentle. It is now societal, where words are violence and truth-telling is "bullying".

It should surprise no one who reads my posts here that I have largely ignored much of this hogwash. I adore my students and believe in them. I expect a LOT from them, because I believe in them. They are not allowed to produce garbage. And I expect that they will never do so. And year after year, I'm gonna say it, my students learn and they perform (literally). Some people think I'm harsh. I say a good teacher MUST love with a ferocity that demands the very best.

//climbs off soapbox

The unions have no say. Parents have a right to sign a form saying their child cannot be photographed or videotaped.

It's unreal to me that my fellow conservatives understand that in a system of compulsory schooling, children should ALSO be involuntary recorded.

Ew. Really. Ew.

When the best American students compete with their peers around the world we usually finish near the bottom

If American education was the best in the world teachers like SweetSue92 would be busting their buttons with pride

But instead they dont know nuthin’ ‘bout ‘nuthin

I never claimed it was the best. Clearly it is not. YOU want to say that is all teachers. But that's not all it is. Believe that.

Since schools are funded by property taxes, the answer is obvious. Their schools are better funded.

Not in my state. Our city schools are highly funded, and still students do not achieve. The reason for that is, of course, multi-factorial. But according to the dunderheads here, it's just the teachers.

Many people make assumptions about the potential and ability of students without understanding context. If you look at the results from wealthy districts vs more economically challenged areas, the difference is clear but not necessarily the causes. Having had extensive experience with students from wealthy suburbs and inner city schools I can tell you that real differences are on the individual level, not as generalized groups. Some of the key influences include:

• parental involvement
  • time
  • living conditions
  • availability of extra help

The families of wealthier students can, and very often do, provide tutoring outside of school to help their children get ahead. As well they should. However, if the family of a student from a different background can't afford to do the same, it is NOT a reflection of the capacity of that student.

You leave out the most important component: IQ.

Parent with money tend to have higher IQ's because people with higher IQ's tend to have more money. Through environment or heretidy, IQ is passed on, and their children are more successful.

Not discounting the other factors, but without at least an average IQ, all the Headstart, free school lunches, and after school programs won't equalize low-IQ students.

Forum List

Back