Why Do the Rich Kids Do Better?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Many people make assumptions about the potential and ability of students without understanding context. If you look at the results from wealthy districts vs more economically challenged areas, the difference is clear but not necessarily the causes. Having had extensive experience with students from wealthy suburbs and inner city schools I can tell you that real differences are on the individual level, not as generalized groups. Some of the key influences include:

• parental involvement
  • time
  • living conditions
  • availability of extra help

The families of wealthier students can, and very often do, provide tutoring outside of school to help their children get ahead. As well they should. However, if the family of a student from a different background can't afford to do the same, it is NOT a reflection of the capacity of that student.

It is largely in the genes. Not entirely, but largely.

Take a household where the parents have 2+ college degrees, and the kids will tend to have higher than average native intelligence. Add to that the home environment, where the parents do a lot of reading, where they speak the King's English, and where sub-standard academic performance is considered a problem that must be dealt with (more attention at home, a tutor, specialized summer camps). Those kids are going to outperform kids from typical backgrounds.

In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, where I happily reside, a recent court decision has declared that the funding of public schools in the state is unequal and "unconstitutional." Here, like almost everywhere, in the more prosperous school districts, the spending on schools is massive. Ironically, in the urban school districts the spending is massive as well (more spending per student), but the facilities are sometimes inferior. The court didn't suggest any remedies, but with a Democrat governor, you know where that's going. More money, more money, more money, and don't hold your breath waiting for academic results to improve in the schools that are currently sucking on the hind teat.

Ponder the following: In the posh school districts when they have a teacher opening they get hundreds of applications. In the unglamorous districts, they can't get enough qualified people to apply. What would it take to turn that upside down? Pay the former teachers $40-70k, and the latter $60-110k?

No easy solution.

The idea that "rich kids do better in school" is very controversial.

A lot of SJWs have looked at the same data and concluded that it is just due to Racial Discrimination why the honky children have better test scores than the black kids.

According to SJW's it has nothing to do with the relative wealth of the white and African American populations of a city, but the only critical factor is race.

Generally the wealthy always succeed at a higher rate, specifically for the reasons you listed. They are generally better looking and healthier as well. Money for needed supplies, regular doctor/dentist visits, and more stylish clothes instill a different attitude that is just not as prevelant in a child who struggles to survive. That's not to say wealthy kids are smarter, than poorer kids, Given the same advantages, it's doubtful there would be any difference in their outcomes, Just another example of how institutionalized disavantage slows the progress of the entire country.

It is largely in the genes. Not entirely, but largely.

That's an interesting question, the 1935 film, Hoi Polloi, considers this question of heredity vs environment.

2 professors make a wager on the issue on whether they could take 3 men from the lowest strata of society and make them gentlemen through environment and training. Considering that he failed in the film, your stand on the issue seems to be reasonable.

That's an interesting question, the 1935 film, Hoi Polloi, considers this question of heredity vs environment.

2 professors make a wager on the issue on whether they could take 3 men from the lowest strata of society and make them gentlemen through environment and training. Considering that he failed in the film, your stand on the issue seems to be reasonable.
Eddie Murphy Trading Places. Same concept, and My Fair Lady is similar.

Assuming the child is mentally capable, it more about parental involvement than anything else.

Child A may have more natural gifts than Child B, but with solid parental involvement Child B can have a good and productive life.
Sure, but it's still harder for him.

Assuming the child is mentally capable, it more about parental involvement than anything else.

Child A may have more natural gifts than Child B, but with solid parental involvement Child B can have a good and productive life.
Too many minority students lack parental involvement.

Sure, but it's still harder for him.
Well, that's the thing. The term "do better" is subjective.

I've known some pretty fucking brilliant wealthy people who appear to be pretty miserable. And I've known some "Child B" type people who have set themselves up in a pretty content life.

So I guess it depends on definitions, as usual.

Too many minority students lack parental involvement.

For minority children, I wonder how much of this is due to anticipating reparations. The parents teach their children in many cases, that their ship will come in and a big check will arrive in the mail, so there is little point in studying?

Hoipolloi35.jpg

1935 Hoi Polloi film.

WW

Many people make assumptions about the potential and ability of students without understanding context. If you look at the results from wealthy districts vs more economically challenged areas, the difference is clear but not necessarily the causes. Having had extensive experience with students from wealthy suburbs and inner city schools I can tell you that real differences are on the individual level, not as generalized groups. Some of the key influences include:

• parental involvement
  • time
  • living conditions

The families of wealthier students can, and very often do, provide tutoring outside of school to help their children get ahead. As well they should. However, if the family of a student from a different background can't afford to do the same, it is NOT a reflection of the capacity of that student.

Why Do the Rich Kids Do Better?​

Your link and personal opinion comes from woke/left concocted bullshit.
Let me simplify without spin….Schools in ghettos and barrios are overrun by illegals, foreigners and bastard children with no father that distract faculty and other children. Language learning and behavioral management become paramount while real education takes a backseat.
But but but….”Our Diversity Is Our Strength”

• parental involvement
  • time
  • living conditions

Indeed and tutoring is only "tutoring" if the tutor is both knowledgeable of and capable of teaching the subject. For what schools can pay for tutoring, that is not often the case.

In my opinion, the homework, study help, study support, etc. the student receives at home is far more important that the formal classroom experience. The school sets the framework and lines up the topics but actual learning should be done at home.

I've known some pretty fucking brilliant wealthy people who appear to be pretty miserable. And I've known some "Child B" type people who have set themselves up in a pretty content life.

Sounds like it depends on you ("I've known") and your anecdotal BS.

To save time I think we all prefer to talk about things ‘in general’….we really don’t have the time to discuss the one-off situations intended to stoke FEELZ.

Forum List

Back