Why Do the Rich Kids Do Better?

Because out of 4,007,908 teachers, you are going to have some who are bad.
And a classroom of white students are expendable?

Talk about the classic lib excuse of “isolated incident”

But you really cant assure parents that its not happening elsewhere

My schooling was in the 1950's. The curriculum today, is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than it was back in the 1950's. I still have my 1927 Los Angeles Unified School District High School chemistry textbook, and it is SUPERIOR to the current college level chemistry textbook. Why is that? I don't know. I just know what the results are. I have used my textbooks to teach my daughter and she is dual enrolled in high school, which is a joke to her, and college, where she is actually being challenged.
In the 1950's and 60's most kids were from two parent families that, whether rich or poor, gave them a leg up on the few kids in single parent homes. (I am NOT knocking single parents, some of which are heroes in raising their children, but there is simply a different dynamic than when there is a mom and a dad in the home.)

In the 1950's there was no drug problem. Most communities were stable, working middle class, where libraries were important, parents went to PTA meetings and were fully informed of what their children were being taught if they wanted to be informed. Most did. Teachers dressed professionally and were respected and honored in the community.

There was little fear. Most went to church. And parents kept an eye on everybody's kids. The mom next door or down the street who reprimanded me had pretty much the same authority as your own mom as did she with other kids within her range of view.

I agree with Westwall that the old text books in the 50's and 60s were far superior to what most children have now. I would put my high school education up against most 4-year college degrees these days. Children who didn't pass had to repeat the coursework and generally got extra help from parents, teachers, and yes, occasionally tutors, no matter how rich or poor the student.

When kids aren't inspired, challenged, encouraged, and/or enjoy competent parenting they aren't going to do well.

Maybe rich kids do better because their parents were inspired, challenged, encouraged, and motivated to do all the things that help people become successful and teach their children the same?

And a classroom of white students are expendable?
Is a classroom of black students expendable?
Is a classroom of Hispanic students expendable?
Is a classroom of Native American students expendable?
Is a classroom of diverse students expendable?
Are teachers expendable?

Talk about the classic lib excuse of “isolated incident”

Oh yes! I’ll play “isolated incident” game!

Let’s see….Christian ministers are pedos.
Homeschooling is a coverup for child abuse.

What a fun game 😀
But you really cant assure parents that its not happening elsewhere
So you are ok with demonizing all teachers by promoting isolating incidents as if they were representative then?

No wonder peop,e don’t want to enter or stay in the profession anymore.

52, 800 teacher vacancies.

Are teachers expendable?
Thats a dumb question

Cameras in the classroom will protect all students

But, bad teachers are very expendable and should be fired

In the 1950's and 60's most kids were from two parent families that, whether rich or poor, gave them a leg up on the few kids in single parent homes. (I am NOT knocking single parents, some of which are heroes in raising their children, but there is simply a different dynamic than when there is a mom and a dad in the home.)

In the 1950's there was no drug problem. Most communities were stable, working middle class, where libraries were important, parents went to PTA meetings and were fully informed of what their children were being taught if they wanted to be informed. Most did. Teachers dressed professionally and were respected and honored in the community.

There was little fear. Most went to church. And parents kept an eye on everybody's kids. The mom next door or down the street who reprimanded me had pretty much the same authority as your own mom as did she with other kids within her range of view.

I agree with Westwall that the old text books in the 50's and 60s were far superior to what most children have now. I would put my high school education up against most 4-year college degrees these days. Children who didn't pass had to repeat the coursework and generally got extra help from parents, teachers, and yes, occasionally tutors, no matter how rich or poor the student.

When kids aren't inspired, challenged, encouraged, and/or enjoy competent parenting they aren't going to do well.

Maybe rich kids do better because their parents were inspired, challenged, encouraged, and motivated to do all the things that help people become successful and teach their children the same?

My family life would be considered hell today. Father was absent and I lived in a truck for several years as a child. My mom was ok, but not very smart. Fortunately I was befriended by a history teacher early on who instilled a love of history, and then later a science teacher figured out I had potential and spent some time with me and taught me how to fly.

From there it was community college, and then I was able to transfer to Caltech for my geology degree. But all along the curriculum was high level. Not like it is today.

Are teachers expendable?

Oh yes! I’ll play “isolated incident” game!

Let’s see….Christian ministers are pedos.
Homeschooling is a coverup for child abuse.

What a fun game 😀

So you are ok with demonizing all teachers by promoting isolating incidents as if they were representative then?

No wonder peop,e don’t want to enter or stay in the profession anymore.

52, 800 teacher vacancies.

Teachers abuse children more than priests do, and did. That is a fact. The reason is simple. There are lots more of them. There are damned good teachers out there. But, the teachers unions don't help them. In fact, they will go out of their way to punish good ones in some cases. Here in northern Nevada we had a teacher of the year let go because they were making the other teachers look bad.

No classroom of ANY students is expendable. Yet that is exactly what the abominable teachers unions are doing. They are sacrificing children for THEIR benefit.

Here is one of them speaking the truth of what they are. They are scum.

My family life would be considered hell today. Father was absent and I lived in a truck for several years as a child. My mom was ok, but not very smart. Fortunately I was befriended by a history teacher early on who instilled a love of history, and then later a science teacher figured out I had potential and spent some time with me and taught me how to fly.

From there it was community college, and then I was able to transfer to Caltech for my geology degree. But all along the curriculum was high level. Not like it is today.
Exactly. My father was probably more absentee than home and was verbally and physically abusive. My mom drank. But because of the community dynamic, mostly traditional families with solid values and stability, there were many good people--role models/teachers/neighbors/parents of my friends--who helped mentor me, even parent me at times when I most needed it. So I don't think my upbringing necessarily held me back simply because I was never made to feel like a victim of my circumstances but could aspire to whatever I wanted like everybody else.

And I look at the kids I went to school with, black, Hispanic, Anglo, whatever, and every single one I believe went on to be solid, successful middle class citizens. I don't think many towns/schools have that kind of record now.

You dont want to think so
No, I do think so. There is the privacy of the kids themselves to think not mention the effect it will have on a teacher’s ability to teach. Innocuous incidents could be blown up and misrepresented in today’s highly politicized environment.

Who have watched silently while school outcomes have collapsed. The biggest enemy to our children now is plainly the teaching establishment. There are damn fine teachers out there, but they are silenced by the teachers unions.

Unions who watched silently while test scores plummeted. While children suffered under needless mask requirements, and who now are experiencing a drop in IQ for the first time.....EVER.

Face it. The teaching establishment is an abject failure.
Not all schools are unionized.

Why Do the Rich Kids Do Better?

because we live in a classist system

i would think this obvious to most, considering the disparity

but then my perspective hails from an existence most would not consider , appreciate , or even call 'American' in this millennial

~S~

Thats a dumb question

Cameras in the classroom will protect all students

But, bad teachers are very expendable and should be fired
You have clamped onto a stupid idea that you have convinced yourself is brilliant, and you won't let it go no matter how many times you have been told that it is impractical and unnecessary.

In all seriousness (let’s not battle ideologically over this please), they aren’t all learning about about blow jobs…you are taking one extreme example.

What really is the problem?

What do kids learn in school today? We have at least two members who are currently K12 teachers and directly involved: SweetSue92 and Unkotare .

What is the curriculum these days? What are kids learning or not learning. I’m interesting because my schooling was in the 70’s so my experiences are far removed from what kids learn and need to learn to succeed in todays world. I don’t have kids or grandkids so I don’t have second hand direct info either. I know there are arguments that we need to go back to “reading, writing and arithmetic ” but today’s world and it’s challenges are a far cry from my childhood, my mother’s childhood and that of my grandparents.

My profession is given to be too "soft", too susceptible to trends without data to back them up. This reflects in the curriculum, sadly, but not in the way that the Moral Panic of the 21st century says. The post by westwall is ridiculous.

My profession is too likely to fall for Lucy Calkins reading BS, which we did for 20 years, wherein we think children looking at pictures is "reading". Mostly--rather than being crones that want to sexually "groom" children--we are people who love children and want them to succeed, and THIS can be our downfall. We are too likely to fall for feel-good, fly-by-night solutions that make "struggling readers" feel good rather than the workhorse lessons that simply get the job done, day after day, year after year.

That is the first problem with the curriculum. IMO it can be traced to the advent of the "self-esteem" movement in the 80s which has been scientifically proven to be largely bunk (see above, children feeling good trumps children learning).

The second large problem is society, frankly.

My fellow conservatives have no answer--they go silent--when I point out that all the problems of society, all of them, come through our doors. I just read about in my area, a mother of seven children who passed away. She was 25 years old. Now the grandmother is attempting to raise them. Of course, the grandmother can try, but she will struggle.

Who will fill in that gap? Of course, the schools. It will be no less than a miracle if any single one of those children comes to school ready to learn academics. They will already be so far, far behind. But according to my fellow conservatives, a five year old coming from this family situation is grown in a lab or something and does not bring past situations with them. So that child should be ready to sit down and learn to read.

Sure.

That parents would want to supervise their children's education seems normal. Cameras to do so is only a logical extension.

Many children have signed documentation with the schools that they are not to be photographed or videotaped. Usually for custody reasons.

Now what?

The state basically insists children be schooled and now you insist they also be recorded?

Creepy. CREEPY

Forum List

Back