Why Do some Christians like to "Command" the Devil?

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
I grew up in a very pentecostal upbringing where folks would always "Pray to bind the Devil" - simple question - WHY? What's the point? And where, in scripture, do we see a command to "bind satan"?

It comes from Matthew 12:24-29: "But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons." Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house."

Supposedly, we are to pray, and thus "bind up Satan" so we can plunder him. I don't get it either. Maybe Hobbit can explain it better than I (I know he is pentacostal).

gop_jeff said:
It comes from Matthew 12:24-29: "But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons." Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house."

Supposedly, we are to pray, and thus "bind up Satan" so we can plunder him. I don't get it either. Maybe Hobbit can explain it better than I (I know he is pentacostal).

Not really. I guess it's a way of exerting your willpower by saying that you're not going to let Satan control you any more. I, personally, think this gives Satan too much credit. I ask Jesus to take care of Satan for me. I've got my hands full taking care of myself.

Hobbit said:
Not really. I guess it's a way of exerting your willpower by saying that you're not going to let Satan control you any more. I, personally, think this gives Satan too much credit. I ask Jesus to take care of Satan for me. I've got my hands full taking care of myself.

How does one give the once-most-powerful angel, second only to God "too much credit"?

GunnyL said:
How does one give the once-most-powerful angel, second only to God "too much credit"?

The Bible shows that Satan is far inferior to Jesus, who gives us strength and dwells within us. He is also limited to one place at one time. The Bible also says that when we finally see Satan in all his evil glory, we'll think something along the lines of "How'd this little wussy-boy do all that?" Giving Satan too much credit means that I see many people who blame all their ills on Satan, rather than calling it what it is, them giving into temptation. Satan's a wuss. When we fail, it's our fault.

-Cp said:
I grew up in a very pentecostal upbringing where folks would always "Pray to bind the Devil" - simple question - WHY? What's the point? And where, in scripture, do we see a command to "bind satan"?

From my Pentacostal Upbringing:

In the Bible Christ commanded the Devil and Demons consistently. He stated often that the power also lies within you to do the same. He stated that in His name you could cast out Demons and that the Devil would have no dominion over you, that you could command the Devil and Demons to both leave others and to leave you alone. (Remember "Get thee behind me, Satan!"?)

The Pentacostals would read this literally. They would believe that they have been given Dominion over Satan through Christ, just as Christ stated that they had.

The only time in the Bible that Satan will have Dominion over the Christians is during the Tribulation where the Beast will be granted Dominion over them for a time of 3 1/2 years, the last half of the Tribulation.

Unfortunately, most of this commanding the devil to leave stuff is a great way for a Christian to not look at their own responsibility when it comes to sin.

Flip Wilson use to say, "The Devil made me do it.". He may not have been a Christian, but he wasn't far off in assessing a major problem in the Christian church. It is more prevalent in the Pentacostal/Charismatic end of Christianity.

Spiritual Warfare is another word for this approach to problem dealing.

Many Christians who just like anyone else may suffer from physiologically caused mental/emotional conditions may need medications for Manic Depression, or Nervous Depression, are dealt with as though they harbor a demon or are under some oppression from Dark powers. Many churches have lay people that they rely on to deal with alleged spiritual foes from Satan's side, and unfortunately cause more problems for these trusting folks who suffer.

I'm not saying that the enemy of our souls isn't very active in this world to oppress and cause mayhem with Christians, but I think there is too much emphasis on old "Fuzzy Nose" as the problem, and this results in a lot of Christians living a lie or in denial of their own responsibilities and decisions of life. Often reaping what one's sows is not acceptable to Western Christians, and there just has to be something other than oneself that has brought on all the repercussions.

Just my gut opinion.

Forum List

Back