Why do people want to talk about celebrities that died...?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
I've seen this on message board... it's the silliest thing ever.

Oh, that's tragic.
I feel so bad for the family.
RIP <thus and such>

People just like to hear themselves talk.. nonsense.
You don't even know these people!

You didn't know Jesus when he was alive, but you pay homage to him....

Jesus is God.

No other person on Earth is. Certainly not loser celebrities.
These people don't care about the celebrities anyway.
They are just headline rubberneckers.

Paying respect to celebrities that has kept us entertained over the years is silly?
NO we don't know them personally, but they made us laugh and cry over the years, depending on the role being played and deserve respect for their talent and to honor them when they pass away.
There is nothing wrong with having respect for their talents.

Oh, that's tragic.
RIP <thus and such>

I've never understood peoples fascination with celebrities.
I dont give a rats ass about em one way or another.
Unless of course it's in joke form...
Kinda like .....Kim Kardashian has fucked more blackmen than sickle cell anemia.

To me, what I don't get is the anger about talking about dead celebrities.

Celebrities occupy a strange position for people- we think we know them based upon their celebrity- but really all we know is one small part of them.

But its pretty simple for me- when its an actor or singer or someone whose work I appreciate dies while still out there performing, I mourn not only for the persons departure, but also that we will never see or hear any more of the persons work.

Robin Williams is a great example of this for me. Outside the Bay Area, you may not know how much we loved the Robin Williams we knew- he would show up at clubs unexpectedly and cheer on new comics, he would show up at children's wards at hospitals with no press and perform for sick kids, he would be seen here just being here. His home was a favorite Halloween stop. Beyond that though- he was an amazing actor- both in comic roles and serious roles(Good Will Hunting)- besides being just a hilarious comic.

When he died- yes- i mourned- I mourned for the works we wouldn't see from him in the future, and for the good he would not do in our community in the future.

To me, what I don't get is the anger about talking about dead celebrities.

Celebrities occupy a strange position for people- we think we know them based upon their celebrity- but really all we know is one small part of them.

But its pretty simple for me- when its an actor or singer or someone whose work I appreciate dies while still out there performing, I mourn not only for the persons departure, but also that we will never see or hear any more of the persons work.

Robin Williams is a great example of this for me. Outside the Bay Area, you may not know how much we loved the Robin Williams we knew- he would show up at clubs unexpectedly and cheer on new comics, he would show up at children's wards at hospitals with no press and perform for sick kids, he would be seen here just being here. His home was a favorite Halloween stop. Beyond that though- he was an amazing actor- both in comic roles and serious roles(Good Will Hunting)- besides being just a hilarious comic.

When he died- yes- i mourned- I mourned for the works we wouldn't see from him in the future, and for the good he would not do in our community in the future.
We are a social people. Many people become invested in those that they see, read, listen too, and learn about. But some people are only invested in themselves. These self-first people don't really give a shit about others. These are usually superficial people that mostly only care about themselves, their looks, and how other people see them.

Because they are people. :cuckoo:
Celebrities have the same ( although sometimes exaggerated issues) just like everyone else. We "know" them by movies, music ect....they touch are lives in a way.
Decent people acknowledge someones passing, pay respect to what they contributed and wish their loved ones the best..

Paying respect to celebrities that has kept us entertained over the years is silly?
NO we don't know them personally, but they made us laugh and cry over the years, depending on the role being played and deserve respect for their talent and to honor them when they pass away.
Amen to this. Even if we don't know people personally, it should never be considered a good thing when a life has come to an end, especially if the person who has passed on was a good person.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Now if the person did whatever they wanted to no matter who paid in the process, then it would be a different story.

I guess it has to do with whether or not you're into movies.
But that doesnt fully explain it since I really like football but I really dont care what they do off the field.
Unless of course they pull an Arron Hernandez or something and they're gonna miss the playoffs..now that would get my attention.
Fortunately I'm a Texans fan so I dont have to worry about the play offs all that much......

Oh, that's tragic.
RIP <thus and such>

What are you talking about. We invite these people into our living rooms every week. Of course we know them.

Oh, that's tragic.
RIP <thus and such>

Seriously? Robin Williams, Michael Jackson, Whitney....all begged for a discussion

Oh, that's tragic.
RIP <thus and such>

Seriously? Robin Williams, Michael Jackson, Whitney....all begged for a discussion

You cracker me up sometimes....

Exactly. Robin Williams and Whitney Houston are two in particular that I miss greatly. I hope to see them again someday. Then I will know them personally.

How many guys jerked off to this poster in the '70?? (That's a rhetorical question.:D)

I have complete confidence that any man who mourned her passing was very sincere.:tongue:

Farrah%20Fawcett_5.jpg

How many guys jerked off to this poster in the '70?? (That's a rhetorical question.:D)

I have complete confidence that any man who mourned her passing was very sincere.:tongue:

Farrah%20Fawcett_5.jpg
I credit Linda Carter for my earliest boy boners. As far as I'm concerned, she made sure I turned out straight when it could have gone the other way. And I don't care if that's TMI.

Wonder_Woman.jpg

Farrah%20Fawcett_5.jpg

She used to live around the corner from me when I was around 15 in GreenWood Forest in Houston.
I made it a point to ride the dirt bike past her house every time I left,whether it was the right direction I wanted to go or not.
It was always cool to wave to her as you rode by....and when she waved back....? Daaaaaaaamnnn!!!!!!

Forum List

Back