Why did so many Germans support Hitler?

Abbott Gleason eh?...Yea, asshole, where's your source?

18257144.JPG

Abbott Gleason

Professor:
History, Slavic Languages, Watson Institute
Phone: 863-2326
[email protected]

Biography

Abbott (Tom) Gleason's areas of interest include the history of the Cold War and national identity in Russia/the Soviet Union and the United States from 1830-1930.

A Brown professor for over 30 years, he is the former chair of the University's History Department.

He has been a long-time member of the Watson Institute's administration and faculty, having served as the Institute's director from 1999 to 2000, among other positions including associate director, director for university relations and special projects, and senior fellow. He is currently an adjunct professor.

He is also a former director of the Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, DC.

His is editor of A Companion to Russian History (Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2009) and author of a memoir, A Liberal Education (TidePool Press, 2009).

He co-edited with Martha Nussbaum Nineteen Eighty-Four: George Orwell and Our Future (Princeton University Press, 2005) and Nikita Khrushchev (Yale University Press, 2000), with Sergei Khrushchev and William Taubman.

Russian studies makes him and expert in discussing fascism. Suuuuurrrreeee, right! :lol: :cuckoo:
World War Two through German Eyes James Lucas (a prolific historical author concerning many aspects of WWII Germany and it's peoples), The German Army, 1933 - 1945, It's Political and Military Failureby Mathew Cooper, An Illustrated History of the Gestapo by Rupert Butler, Before the Deluge by Otto Friedrich, Warfare and the Third Reich by Christopher Chant, Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer, A History of the Weimar Republic by Erich Eyck and probably the most comprehensive book covering the 1930s world wide The Dark Valley, a Panorama of the 1930s by Piers Brandon just to name a few. All these Books contain either tombs or random snippets of information concerning this subject though in most the exact history is discussed in detail and none agree with your authoric saint who views this period of history though the prism of modern norms and obvious "liberal" bias. Shall I continue or would you simply decide to take the courses and do the readings and research I have done before you continue your hoof-in-mouth routine.

Hey fuck face...I'm not impressed. Why? Probably because you are a right wing pea brain. Why don't we take a real hard look at some major underlying causes that created the climate for Hitler's rise. The Treaty of Versailles. It has to do with that age old George W. right wing philosophy of PUNISH; Revanchism. ‘The Tiger’ Georges Clemenceau won out in his desire the terms of Versailles smash Germany, where Wilson and even David Lloyd George realized that when you smash a country, you are smashing the people, and you open the door for future conflict by creating hated foreign enemies to rally that hatred around...

BTW, do you dispute the influences of Ernst Jünger, Giovanni Gentile and Carl Schmitt?

Hey, get back to me when you can borrow a liberal's brain.

Just as I thought attack the person (me) and you're not the first moron to call me right wing, or wing nut, or libtard or obamabot, etc ad nauseum.... The point i was making, if you had the ability of discernment, was his premise is to narrow in a complex study. He omits complete segments of causative factors in a vain attempt to condense the reasons behind the rise of Hitler, et al. and does so without reaching into the mind of the peoples of the time.
Yes, the Treaty of Versailles was the primary reason for the rise of a Hitleresque figure but it wasn't the only cause of Hitler's rise to power. It was, by his manipulations only one of the reasons the German people came to love or admire him early on but there where other reasons the primary being he wiped out unemployment and most Germans enjoyed the highest standards of living in the world and more importantly he brought social stability to a peoples who yearned for order. I don't dispute the influences of any of those listed by you as long as said influence is placed in it's proper perspective. Look at the bigger picture not just that which fits your chosen paradigm.

Last edited:
germans are just natural born assholes.

I think the genes that make them think they're genetically superior also make them fucking insane killing machines.

You're mistaken there.....there is no "I'm superior to you gene." There is however a long history of battles and wars fought by the Teutonic Knights, Hessians and Visogoths (sacked Rome) among other groups in what is now known as greater Germany. They are some bad ass motherfuckers and they know how to engineer weapons and weapons systems...that doesn't make them genetically superior...just smart.

Is the punchline: because Obama wasn't runnig?

It could be.

But I will let you know after I have completed my research.
I will add this; the government does not care for anyone, and notice I said the government its main goal is to control. We must unify ourselves against the government before it creates a bigger division between the people of this country. The government can create a division between the people separate the strong and make them look like the enemy and what you will have is the ones that will comply and easiest to manage.

Russian studies makes him and expert in discussing fascism. Suuuuurrrreeee, right! :lol: :cuckoo:
World War Two through German Eyes James Lucas (a prolific historical author concerning many aspects of WWII Germany and it's peoples), The German Army, 1933 - 1945, It's Political and Military Failureby Mathew Cooper, An Illustrated History of the Gestapo by Rupert Butler, Before the Deluge by Otto Friedrich, Warfare and the Third Reich by Christopher Chant, Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer, A History of the Weimar Republic by Erich Eyck and probably the most comprehensive book covering the 1930s world wide The Dark Valley, a Panorama of the 1930s by Piers Brandon just to name a few. All these Books contain either tombs or random snippets of information concerning this subject though in most the exact history is discussed in detail and none agree with your authoric saint who views this period of history though the prism of modern norms and obvious "liberal" bias. Shall I continue or would you simply decide to take the courses and do the readings and research I have done before you continue your hoof-in-mouth routine.

Hey fuck face...I'm not impressed. Why? Probably because you are a right wing pea brain. Why don't we take a real hard look at some major underlying causes that created the climate for Hitler's rise. The Treaty of Versailles. It has to do with that age old George W. right wing philosophy of PUNISH; Revanchism. ‘The Tiger’ Georges Clemenceau won out in his desire the terms of Versailles smash Germany, where Wilson and even David Lloyd George realized that when you smash a country, you are smashing the people, and you open the door for future conflict by creating hated foreign enemies to rally that hatred around...

BTW, do you dispute the influences of Ernst Jünger, Giovanni Gentile and Carl Schmitt?

Just as I thought attack the person (me) and you're not the first moron to call me right wing, or wing nut, or libtard or obamabot, etc ad nauseum.... The point i was making, if you had the ability of discernment, was his premise is to narrow in a complex study. He omits complete segments of causative factors in a vain attempt to condense the reasons behind the rise of Hitler, et al. and does so without reaching into the mind of the peoples of the time.
Yes, the Treaty of Versailles was the primary reason for the rise of a Hitleresque figure but it wasn't the only cause of Hitler's rise to power. It was, by his manipulations only one of the reasons the German people came to love or admire him early on but there where other reasons the primary being he wiped out unemployment and most Germans enjoyed the highest standards of living in the world and more importantly he brought social stability to a peoples who yearned for order. I don't dispute the influences of any of those listed by you as long as said influence is placed in it's proper perspective. Look at the bigger picture not just that which fits your chosen paradigm.

Why don't you try this next time if you have the ability of discernment. READ the original piece. Gleason was not trying to provide a comprehensive history of the rise of fascism. His premise is narrow...Mutatis mutandis. He was comparing the political environment and attitudes that led to the rise of fascism with the political environment and attitudes created by the Bush administration after 9/11. I used the piece because it concisely and totally smashes the right wing pea brain bizzaro world of morons like Jonah Goldberg.

"O con noi o contro di noi"--You're either with us or against us.
Benito Mussolini

"Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."
George W. Bush

Last edited:

Why don't you try this next time if you have the ability of discernment. READ the original piece. Gleason was not trying to provide a comprehensive history of the rise of fascism. His premise is narrow...Mutatis mutandis. He was comparing the political environment and attitudes that led to the rise of fascism with the the political environment and attitudes created by the Bush administration after 9/11. I used the piece because it concisely and totally smashes the right wing pea brain bizzaro world of morons like Jonah Goldberg.

Benito Mussolini

George W. Bush

You dishonest fuckwit....Democrats do the very same thing including Obama!!!!
Obama says GOP making life harder for the jobless - Yahoo! News

germans are just natural born assholes.

I think the genes that make them think they're genetically superior also make them fucking insane killing machines.

You're mistaken there.....there is no "I'm superior to you gene." There is however a long history of battles and wars fought by the Teutonic Knights, Hessians and Visogoths (sacked Rome) among other groups in what is now known as greater Germany. They are some bad ass motherfuckers and they know how to engineer weapons and weapons systems...that doesn't make them genetically superior...just smart.

I was trying to be funny but I guess I missed the mark.

I know it is conventional historical wisdom the Treaty of Versailles helped cause the rise of Hitler and though he did use resentment about the treaty to his advantage, I posit the treaty did not cause the rise of fascism because it was never actually enforced.

The UK in particular kept changing the terms over the objections of France to appease both Weimar politicians and latter Hitler.

The proscribed penalties for violations where rarely implemented.

The fact is German politicians of almost very party propagated the myth that Germany was not really defeated in WWI but was betrayed and the treaty thus was unfair.

Germany was not occupied and this re-enforced the myth, and German Weimar politicians, wanting to re-arm (this process started before Hitler) inflated their currency to pay back war debt thus hurting the middle class, but the victorious powers kept changing the terms in Germany’s favor.

If anything I think the Treaty of Versailles was too lenient. Germany did not know or feel she was a defeated.

Look at the difference between the aftermath of WWI and WWII, after WWII Germany is occupied, partitioned, her war leaders put on trial and her new government validated and dictated to by the victorious allies, and Germany never threatens European peace again.

The problem with Versailles is it caused resentment but did not punish seriously or contain a defeated enemy.

Last edited:
Nationalism was present in German politics long before the Treaty of Versailles. Deutsche Vaterlandspartei. They were the pro-war party and after the German Revolution of 1918 when they were disbanded did many members form the NDSAP.

What the Nazi's did was provide a scapegoat to blame all of Germany's ill fate on. The Jews and Capitalism....THAT'S WHY they got the support they got.....they took the blame game to a whole new level.

and much like todays Democrat party...we hear the same thing.....except this time instead of the jews and capitalism it's the whites and capitalism.
The parallels are striking if one looks at the whole picture....and one has to think what the fuck is Soro's thinking and what he stands to gain from all this.

Last edited:
I think the US has already approached the same climate as must have existed in Germany before WW II. Anyone familiar with the McCarthy Hearings? Loyalty oaths? Black lists?

We crawled off the ledge and Germany did not, but we did not have the economic problems that they did, and we were not being taught to hate an ethnic group.

I think the US has already approached the same climate as must have existed in Germany before WW II. Anyone familiar with the McCarthy Hearings? Loyalty oaths? Black lists?

We crawled off the ledge and Germany did not, but we did not have the economic problems that they did, and we were not being taught to hate an ethnic group.

Are you talking about the US now, or the US then?

I see similarities to now. I won't go so far as to call Obama a Hitler, but there's some scary stuff going on Madeline. And yes there is a ethnic group that is being hated. The Whites. I'm not a crazy survivalist. But I have enough cash,food,water,gas,guns,ammo to fight my families way out of here just in case. I'm seriously scared for my kids futures. That isn't right.

Well...we got the economic problems now...we got the scapegoats now...we have the hated ethnic group now....all it'll take is just a little push from somewhere.....

Why don't you try this next time if you have the ability of discernment. READ the original piece. Gleason was not trying to provide a comprehensive history of the rise of fascism. His premise is narrow...Mutatis mutandis. He was comparing the political environment and attitudes that led to the rise of fascism with the political environment and attitudes created by the Bush administration after 9/11. I used the piece because it concisely and totally smashes the right wing pea brain bizzaro world of morons like Jonah Goldberg.

Benito Mussolini

George W. Bush

So that's all you got out of the OP:
(Here's the original - just incase you missed it).
Why did so many Germans support Hitler?
I thought this might be a good topic of discussion
I was trying hard this time not to slam dunk your stupid ass again but I see you're just a glutton for punishment. You are the perfect example of a waisted education as evidenced by the fact that as a leftist hack you are no different from those on the right you so vehemently decry, i.e. no objective reasoning functions.
:cuckoo:

I thought this might be a good topic of discussion

this question is far broader than just hitler and the nazis

the real question is;

why are there SOOOO many stupid, ignorant people upon whom hate, lies and fear work so well!?

Consider the fact that lies and fear mongering work just as well on SMART people and there's your answer.

Plenty of smart people voted for Hitler just like plenty of smart people vote for Ds and Rs.

If you're fed a line of bullshit and you have no way of seeing that it's bullshit, that doesn't mean you're stupid.

That just makes you a dupe.

Who among us has NOT discovered that we'd been lied to and because we believed those lies, we acted upon them to our detriment?

Intelligent does NOT mean incapable of being fooled.

Last edited:
The funniest thing is how "Progressives" keep calling Hitler a "right winger" LOL

He's a National Socialist, a Leftist, Obama's spiritual father

Yea, 'Old dolf' as us socialists warmly referred to him was the true bastion of socialist beliefs...He advocated racism over racial tolerance, eugenics over freedom of reproduction, merit over equality, competition over cooperation, power politics and militarism over pacifism, dictatorship over democracy, capitalism over Marxism, realism over idealism, nationalism over internationalism, exclusiveness over inclusiveness, common sense over theory or science, pragmatism over principle, and even held friendly relations with the Church, even though he was an atheist.

NeoNational Socialists are lead by a Mulatto who espouses "White folks greed" and "Typical white behavior"

NeoNational Socialists have Eugenicists in the Ministry of Health and Healing (ObamaCare)

NeoNational Socialists have swallowed whole our Health care and financial industries and have Pay Czars to flatten out any outlying performers and make those sectors run like public schools.

Seig Heil, my little Fascist Friend, Seig Heil

Democrats Uber Alles

Last edited:
The funniest thing is how "Progressives" keep calling Hitler a "right winger" LOL

He's a National Socialist, a Leftist, Obama's spiritual father

Yea, 'Old dolf' as us socialists warmly referred to him was the true bastion of socialist beliefs...He advocated racism over racial tolerance, eugenics over freedom of reproduction, merit over equality, competition over cooperation, power politics and militarism over pacifism, dictatorship over democracy, capitalism over Marxism, realism over idealism, nationalism over internationalism, exclusiveness over inclusiveness, common sense over theory or science, pragmatism over principle, and even held friendly relations with the Church, even though he was an atheist.

NeoNational Socialists are lead by a Mulatto who espouses "White folks greed" and "Typical white behavior"

NeoNational Socialists have Eugenicists in the Ministry of Health and Healing (ObamaCare)

NeoNational Socialists have swallowed whole our Health care and financial industries and have Pay Czars to flatten out any outlying performers and make those sectors run like public schools.

Democrats Uber Alles

Well...you got half of it about right.

Now try putting down your partisan blinders and check what your favorite party has done to america in the last fifty years.

Some day you will, as I had to, wake up from your partisan delusions.

The more you study the issue from REAL sources, the more you'll understand that NOBODY is working on your behalf.

Democrats Uber Alles

Well...you got half of it about right.

Now try putting down your partisan blinders and check what your favorite party has done to america in the last fifty years.

Some day you will, as I had to, wake up from your partisan delusions.

The more you study the issue from REAL sources, the more you'll understand that NOBODY is working on your behalf.

I put Dubya under Satan's ass in Dante's Inferno for betraying Conservatism.

I know the RNC is not my friend, and did you know I consider Bush41 one of the most evil, trecherous men who ever walked the face of the Earth?

Forum List

Back