Why did God create evil?

I think that the bible was written to be taken literally
Really. An agnostic who believes the Bible was written to be taken literally. That is rather odd, isn't it? You need physical evidence of God, but you are happy to take the Bible as literal without any proof at all.

That’s what I’m asking, WHY does god make deformed babies and cancer...?
Listen. That is not the God I know, it is the God YOU know. Since I don't know that God you believe so strongly in, you will have to tell me why the God you believe in makes deformed babies and cancer. Try to understand. We don't all see through your lens. Tell us what you see and what you surmise from what you see. Why does the God you have such faith in make deformed babies and cancer?

Several of us here have done our best to share what we see with you. Let's take a break from all of that and try to see what you are seeing through your lens. All we know so far is that you have great faith in your God that his purpose is to cause floods, make deformed babies and create cancer. Tell us more, and how you came by your faith.
I'm starting with the premise that god made the universe and everything in it. I always thought that people who believed in god believe that it made everything in the universe. Now if all you theists are saying that god DIDN'T create everything in this universe, that's something I've NEVER heard outside this thread, and sounds really whacky. You attribute all the good stuff to god but none of the bad stuff, so I logically ask, then who made all the bad stuff? Why do believers get cancer and have deformed babies? I mean, like, a god who can drown nearly all of humanity seems capable of making more bad things, but WHY?
Do you create your own outcomes?
Not always, sometimes things are out of our control.
Based on the argument you are making you must believe that God created all of your outcomes because you believe he created everything.

So if you want to place the blame anywhere, place it where belongs, on people who go against God‘s law/will.

you need go no further than christianity and judea for their false worship in a messiah, their interpretation of sin, christianity and their forged bibles all creations by those people for their particular religion. independent and separate from good.

as stated before the religion of antiquity, the Triumph of Good vs Evil requires the destruction of one over the other as the prerequisite for admission to the Everlasting.

I think that the bible was written to be taken literally
Really. An agnostic who believes the Bible was written to be taken literally. That is rather odd, isn't it? You need physical evidence of God, but you are happy to take the Bible as literal without any proof at all.
I said "I think", not "I'm know that". See the difference? But it seems to me that people thought that the bible was true back then, and it's only since science debunked pretty much everything that the interpretations have changed.

That’s what I’m asking, WHY does god make deformed babies and cancer...?
Listen. That is not the God I know, it is the God YOU know. Since I don't know that God you believe so strongly in, you will have to tell me why the God you believe in makes deformed babies and cancer. Try to understand. We don't all see through your lens. Tell us what you see and what you surmise from what you see. Why does the God you have such faith in make deformed babies and cancer?

Several of us here have done our best to share what we see with you. Let's take a break from all of that and try to see what you are seeing through your lens. All we know so far is that you have great faith in your God that his purpose is to cause floods, make deformed babies and create cancer. Tell us more, and how you came by your faith.
I'm starting with the premise that god made the universe and everything in it. I always thought that people who believed in god believe that it made everything in the universe. Now if all you theists are saying that god DIDN'T create everything in this universe, that's something I've NEVER heard outside this thread, and sounds really whacky. You attribute all the good stuff to god but none of the bad stuff, so I logically ask, then who made all the bad stuff? Why do believers get cancer and have deformed babies? I mean, like, a god who can drown nearly all of humanity seems capable of making more bad things, but WHY?
Based on the argument you are making you must believe that God created all of your outcomes because you believe he created everything.
God must have created all the possible outcomes for them to be possible, yes. But why did god make bad outcomes?

God must have created all the possible outcomes for them to be possible, yes. But why did god make bad outcomes?
You don't believe you are responsible for any of your outcomes?

I’m not saying that, I’m asking why god makes bad outcomes for me to choose?

He makes good outcomes for you to choose too.

Life is what you make it. If you want to make it about arguing why God doesn't exist then so be it.

I said "I think", not "I'm know that". See the difference? But it seems to me that people thought that the bible was true back then, and it's only since science debunked pretty much everything that the interpretations have changed.

How do you know that people thought the Bible was meant to be taken literally "back then"? Actually, what do you mean by "back then?"

For example, it wasn't until the late 1800s that someone decided he could calculate the age of the earth by counting generations listed. Some people latched onto this as a "fact." Many did not.

Before then, "day" and "generation" was a period of time that could vary widely.

Also, with King James we read that the flood covered the earth. Some decided this meant planet. Others did not. Why? Because the word King James translated as earth did not mean the entire planet. It meant earth--such as the earth outside in one's backyard.

There are some very old commentaries available, dating back centuries. Many (but not all Protestants) decided people did not need to study the Bible with a priest, rabbi, or scholar--that each person could interpret the Bible for him or herself. However...that did not begin until after 1500 years after Christ.

If you "think" something, isn't it better to have facts to back up your reasoning and opinion? Just because "some" people in the last five or six hundred years decided they could read the Bible and just know what the original authors intended, it does not follow that all people now--nor especially--people "back then" had the same opinion as literalists of today.

I would agree that Taz's position is one of ignorance. She never had anyone to explain it to her.

Life is what you make it. If you want to make it about arguing why God doesn't exist then so be it.
But why does god make bad outcomes?

Maybe to give you a choice. How do you know that bad outcomes aren't part of the human condition which cannot be separated from existence?

You are very close to requiring God to do magic for you so that you won't have to suffer the human condition. Is that really what you want? An all controlling God? A Utopian existence? Don't you think you are being a little unreasonable?

How do you know that people thought the Bible was meant to be taken literally "back then"? Actually, what do you mean by "back then?"

For example, it wasn't until the late 1800s that someone decided he could calculate the age of the earth by counting generations listed. Some people latched onto this as a "fact." Many did not.

Before then, "day" and "generation" was a period of time that could vary widely.

Also, with King James we read that the flood covered the earth. Some decided this meant planet. Others did not. Why? Because the word King James translated as earth did not mean the entire planet. It meant earth--such as the earth outside in one's backyard.

There are some very old commentaries available, dating back centuries. Many (but not all Protestants) decided people did not need to study the Bible with a priest, rabbi, or scholar--that each person could interpret the Bible for him or herself. However...that did not begin until after 1500 years after Christ.

If you "think" something, isn't it better to have facts to back up your reasoning and opinion? Just because "some" people in the last five or six hundred years decided they could read the Bible and just know what the original authors intended, it does not follow that all people now--nor especially--people "back then" had the same opinion as literalists of today.
People actually believed and still believe that the flood was worldwide and that Jesus rose from the dead like zombie...

Maybe to give you a choice. How do you know that bad outcomes aren't part of the human condition which cannot be separated from existence?

You are very close to requiring God to do magic for you so that you won't have to suffer the human condition. Is that really what you want? An all controlling God? A Utopian existence? Don't you think you are being a little unreasonable?
Why not a utopian world with no bad outcomes? God could have made it like that, but he didn’t, why?

Why not a utopian world with no bad outcomes? God could have made it like that, but he didn’t, why?
Is that reality?

Is that reality?
I’m asking why god wouldn’t have made the world utopian and put all the bad shit/outcomes in it? You obviously don’t know. Not surprising.

Is that reality?
I’m asking why god wouldn’t have made the world utopian and put all the bad shit/outcomes in it? You obviously don’t know. Not surprising.
I have an idea. That's why I asked you if you believed that utopian world is reality. Because why would you want anyone to deprive you of experiencing reality? Are you telling me you would actually want to live in a Utopian world? Do you want to be a drone? Is that what you are saying?

Is that reality?
I have an idea. That's why I asked you if you believed that utopian world is reality. Because why would you want anyone to deprive you of experiencing reality? Are you telling me you would actually want to live in a Utopian world? Do you want to be a drone? Is that what you are saying?
I’m asking why god made so much bad shit. Not how I want things.

Is that reality?
I’m asking why god made so much bad shit. Not how I want things.
Like what?

People actually believed and still believe that the flood was worldwide and that Jesus rose from the dead like zombie...
1. People actually believe in a flat earth.
2. People actually believe there was no moon landing.
3. People actually believe the earth is six thousand years old.

But the majority of people don't, and never did. Not even my grandmother (born in the early 1900s) thought the flood literal or bought in "young earth." As I mentioned before, that was a Protestant teaching--not a Catholic teaching--and not a Jewish teaching.

Do you believe in lumping all people who believe there is an earth in with the minority of those who believe in a flat earth only will provide you with any kind of meaningful discussion?

Likewise, making the assumption that almost everyone, everywhere, in every time, has taken the Bible literally is a huge error.

Forum List

Back