Why did God create evil?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by ding, Sep 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,276
    The simple answer is that God didn't create evil.

Everything God created is good.

Evil is not extant. Evil doesn't exist in and of itself.

Evil is the absence of good, just as cold is the absence of heat, and darkness is the absence of light.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. WillHaftawaite

WillHaftawaite USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,620
    did God create the angels?

including Lucifer?

3. buttercup

buttercup Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I noticed that someone on another thread was asking this question, implying that everything is God's fault, or that God is evil. On that thread I didn't see anyone give what I think is the correct answer, and I wanted to reply, but I had to leave the house so I didn't have time.

It all comes down to free will. God did not create "evil." God gave us free will, and the inevitable price of free will is that some people will choose to do evil. Evil is the opposition of goodness, it is when someone goes against God's perfect nature and what he expects of us (truth, love, justice, etc.)

So when someone uses the gift of free will in the wrong way, that is on them. Do not blame God for giving you freedom. Because the alternative would be immoral. If God created us with no freedom to make choices, like robots, or puppets on a string, with no choice in whether to follow God or not... THAT would be evil and wrong. But that isn't what God did. He gave us the freedom to make choices, good or bad. And as a consequence, there is evil in this world. But it is just temporary.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Natural Citizen

Natural Citizen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,923
    Well. Something makes cold water hot. And this is observable. As well, something makes darkness light. This, too, is observable.

To your comparison, how, then, did you observe that something made evil turn into good? What did you observe? And how did you observe this? Show us. Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. buttercup

buttercup Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    He didn't say that something made evil turn into good. He said evil is the absence of good, it doesn't exist in and of itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Natural Citizen

Natural Citizen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,923
    Yes, he did.

In fact, he made two claims. His initial claim, I didn't even ask him about yet. I'm just asking him how he made his observation and what he observed to make the conclusion. Then we can move onto his actual conclusion.

Sacred truths don't count. There are no sacred truths in science.

7. buttercup

buttercup Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Please post the direct quote.

8. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,117
    No God exists!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Dan Stubbs

Dan Stubbs FORGET ---- HELL Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,970
    Keep it from being boring.

10. JGalt

JGalt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,212
    God didn't "create" evil per se. He was probably mildly amused when one of his angels (Satan, Lucifer, Beelzebub, etc) through his own pride decided to lead the revolt of one third of the angels against Him. Of course, angels are imperfect creatures which were not created by God in His own image, as we are.

We are infinitely more special than the angels, as God created us in His own image. The angels are merely messengers which have been around ever since the creation. They are not afforded the same forgiveness that we are.

It was in the Garden of Eden that Satan temped Eve and subsequently Adam, into going against God's wishes. For that, there will never be forgiveness, nor will there ever be forgiveness for the one third of those angels who followed Satan.

But God loved us so much that he didn't want us to perish, therefore He gave us ten commandments to follow, in order to remain in His favor. Unfortunately, many people failed to observe them. So at some point, God brought upon the world the Great Flood.

Even after the flood, silly humans refused to observe God's laws and rules as written in the Old testament. In order to give His creation a way out of sin and eternal damnation, He sent His only begotten son to die upon the cross, thereby having all of the world's sin placed upon Him.

Whether God allowed the temptation in the Garden or he lost control of his angels could be debated by the non-believers. I prefer to believe that He planned all this from the start, to impress upon us what a mighty Creator He is, because the idea of God being imperfect or out of control is kinda silly.

• Agree Agree x 1