Why bolt action over lever

Part of the problem at the time was lever action rifle ammo had round or flat nose ammo for obvious reasons. You don't want a pointed tip bullet resting behind the center fire cartridge in front of it. All that jostling when firing off a round could set off one or more rounds in the tube and pointed tip bullets have a longer range and are inherently more accurate then a round or flat nosed bullet.
Now some might claim this is an urban myth (pointed vs round/flat nose in the feed tube) but there were detonations in the early 1880s Army testing of pointed tip in lever guns. Today that has virtually been done away with modern rounds and modern bullet construction.

Last edited:
I knew that just from having used both. I couldn't believe how user unfriendly a lever was when I tried one out. Everything hurt. Loading, unloading, squeezing the trigger, the recoil.
After Lee Enfields and Mausers I couldn't understand the attraction.
Alrighty then! That's actually my 2 favorite actions.

Next up would be Savage. The Mauser reigns supreme, though.

Then I bought a "modern" gun and the action is so sloppy it's like "Wtf is this?"

I knew that just from having used both. I couldn't believe how user unfriendly a lever was when I tried one out. Everything hurt. Loading, unloading, squeezing the trigger, the recoil.
After Lee Enfields and Mausers I couldn't understand the attraction.

You don't get the attraction? really?

The chicks dig the big levers.

Jesus. Was it possible to find a show more full of shit?
Yeah any John Wayne movie set in the late 1860s, early 1870s and he's carrying a 1892 Winchester Trapper and a 1872 Single Action Army revolver which didn't hit the civilian market until 1877............ And he's wearing 1950s western wear and riding on a 1930s saddle, bridal setup wearing a 1900s "cowboy" hat. ;)

Yeah any John Wayne movie set in the late 1860s, early 1870s and he's carrying a 1892 Winchester Trapper and a 1872 Single Action Army revolver which didn't hit the civilian market until 1877............ And he's wearing 1950s western wear and riding on a 1930s saddle, bridal setup wearing a 1900s "cowboy" hat. ;)

and most of the Indians were really a bunch of white guys named O'malley or Smith?

probably what inspired this show

The video left out one of the most obvious reasons: Advances in ammunition technology. The lever-action rifles were designed during a time when most ammunition was still using black powder. Many of the calibers for those lever-action rifles were designated in both caliber and charge of black powder: 30-30, 25-20, 34-40, 45-70, etc. The last number was the weight or volume in grains of black powder that would have been in the cartridge. As smokeless powder became more advanced and different calibers of ammunition were being developed, rifles had to be designed to withstand the higher pressures developed in the chamber. Bolt-action rifles can handle much higher chamber pressures.

and most of the Indians were really a bunch of white guys named O'malley or Smith?

probably what inspired this show

I think they took all the Hollywood old west cliches and stereotypes and combined them in that one show. It was funny way back when...... :)

The video left out one of the most obvious reasons: Advances in ammunition technology. The lever-action rifles were designed during a time when most ammunition was still using black powder. Many of the calibers for those lever-action rifles were designated in both caliber and charge of black powder: 30-30, 25-20, 34-40, 45-70, etc. The last number was the weight or volume in grains of black powder that would have been in the cartridge. As smokeless powder became more advanced and different calibers of ammunition were being developed, rifles had to be designed to withstand the higher pressures developed in the chamber. Bolt-action rifles can handle much higher chamber pressures.
star-wars-r2d2.gif

Most of the "Winchester" Model 92s you see in the old westerns weren't even Winchesters but Spanish "El Tigre'" copies of the '92 Winchester.

R.034512c067e7f20f3b3379f8c7a4f94e

Every now and again you can pick them out due to their ladder rear sight. They were all in .44-40 and cost half what a Winchester did.....I had one years ago and it was very well made and a fine shooter. They still pop-up every now and again.

Forum List

Back