Why bolt action over lever

Alrighty then! That's actually my 2 favorite actions.

Next up would be Savage. The Mauser reigns supreme, though.

Then I bought a "modern" gun and the action is so sloppy it's like "Wtf is this?"

My 80+ year old 8mm Mauser has the smoothest action I've ever experienced on a rifle, and it's a wartime manufacture that was probably rushed through production to get it onto the battlefield.

My 80+ year old 8mm Mauser has the smoothest action I've ever experienced on a rifle, and it's a wartime manufacture that was probably rushed through production to get it onto the battlefield.
Mausers are smooth and tight. Really no other rifles feel better. I haven't felt one that has, anyway. How about Weatherbys?

Mausers are smooth and tight. Really no other rifles feel better. I haven't felt one that has, anyway. How about Weatherbys?
I have a bid on a Portuguese Vergueiro M1904/39 Mauser (8mm Mauser). While they're not a true Mauser they're very close and according to all the reviews extremely well made, reliable and accurate.

IMG_2346.jpg

I have a bid on a Portuguese Vergueiro M1904/39 Mauser (8mm Mauser). While they're not a true Mauser they're very close and according to all the reviews extremely well made, reliable and accurate.

IMG_2346.jpg
$80 or less, yeah. No bent bolt? That's sad. My Mauser has a bent bolt, and it's from way before any world wars.

Nobody wants to drill and tap it for less than a small fortune. It lacks the extra bolt vent, but from what the gunsmiths say, I doubt I have anything to worry about. They kinda over engineered things in those days.

Thing's most likely capable of pressures twice what any ammo I could possibly get.

Last edited:
$80 or less, yeah. No bent bolt? That's sad. My Mauser has a bent bolt, and it's from way before any world wars.

Nobody wants to drill and tap it for less than a small fortune. It lacks the extra bolt vent, but from what the gunsmiths say, I doubt I have anything to worry about. They kinda over engineered things in those days.

Thing's most likely capable of pressures twice what any ammo I could possibly get.
I wish it was $80, they're going for a heck of a lot more these days and this one is roughly half what the normal asking price is. NRA condition good.

This is not a true Mauser but a blend of Mauser with a Manlicher action manufactured by Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken for the Portuguese chambered for the 6.5mm round. In 1939 when Portugal converted to the K98 the M1904s were rechambered in 8mm.
These are solidly made, accurate and reliable rifles.

How to show you've never used a Lee Enfield without actually saying you've never used a Lee Enfield.

Bet I've shot more animals than you.

I highly doubt it.
I've been hunting since I was 9 years old.
Also lived on the south Llano river where I could shoot deer from my porch with a two buck and three doe pur season limit I could also get a second license to shoot two more doe ,as well as Axis deer year around since there's no season on imported animals.
Not to mention the hogs I've shot,100 a year is a conservative estimate.

Last edited:
How to show you've never used a Lee Enfield without actually saying you've never used a Lee Enfield.
About the only two things the Lee Enfield has over the Mauser is they hold 10 rounds as opposed to the Mauser's 5 rounds and the short stroke bolt. Otherwise in smoothness and accuracy they are equal. I've shot my share of both and I used to own a Number 4 Mk 1, bought it for around $60 when they first started importing them. Sold it for at least 6 times what I paid for it.

Now some might claim this is an urban myth (pointed vs round/flat nose in the feed tube) but there were detonations in the early 1880s Army testing of pointed tip in lever guns. Today that has virtually been done away with modern rounds and modern bullet construction.
No myth. It's the reason when Browning designed the BLR they used a box magazine. It was chambered in .243 and .308. I think it was the first lever action designed for a modern hunting round.

No myth. It's the reason when Browning designed the BLR they used a box magazine. It was chambered in .243 and .308. I think it was the first lever action designed for a modern hunting round.
There's still quite a few people who still consider it a myth, your argument is with them not me.

I highly doubt it.
That's because you're parochial and ignorant. NZ has no native mammals except a bat. All varieties of deer, goats, tahr, chamois, rabbits, possums etc., etc., are exotic/imported and declared noxious. On public land there are no seasons, limits, fees, licences or requirements to take meat. One is doing a public service to shoot them and walk away. Of course it is polite to not drop them in a waterway.

About the only two things the Lee Enfield has over the Mauser is they hold 10 rounds as opposed to the Mauser's 5 rounds and the short stroke bolt. Otherwise in smoothness and accuracy they are equal. I've shot my share of both and I used to own a Number 4 Mk 1, bought it for around $60 when they first started importing them.
The SMLE is much faster to cycle than the various Mausers. I don't think you've shot them that much.

That's because you're parochial and ignorant. NZ has no native mammals except a bat. All varieties of deer, goats, tahr, chamois, rabbits, possums etc., etc., are exotic/imported and declared noxious. On public land there are no seasons, limits, fees, licences or requirements to take meat. One is doing a public service to shoot them and walk away. Of course it is polite to not drop them in a waterway.

So what?

Forum List

Back