Why Bill Russell is the NBA GOAT

I saw Bill Russell play
Did you?

Wilt was better
Not live, but I'm a student who actually took the time to watch plenty of 60's basketball with my dad.

I saw Russell, I saw Wilt, I saw Jerry West, I saw Magic, Bird, MJ, Lebron...

The list is:

1. Russell
2. Lebron
3. MJ
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Wilt
7. West.

You'll have to point that out. Different sports have different circumstances. Brady doesn't play defense, Russell does.

Not most.. but the outspoken for sure.

They do consider him. However, they don't spend hours on facebook, twitter, etc... they actually watched him as long as Lebron/Jordan. Those who say Lebron/Jordan are the greatest, most never watched a minute of Russell playing, much less know who he even is out of ignorance.

Trust me, Brady got plenty going his way to get 7 titles. Fairness has little do with it. The guy threw 1 TD pass one year in the entire playoffs, and 0 TD passes in anther year in the entire playoffs, and won 2 Superbowls from it.

How?

Manning, Montana, and probably tied with Elway.

Manning is 3-2 against Brady in the highest level they could play, the AFC championship.

Manning averaged the 17th best defense in his career, Brady averaged the 7th,.

Manning 5 MVP's, Brady 3.

Manning clearly was better at putting up the proper offense to win games, Brady just had better coaching and defense so that his sub-par games could be wins while others who had sub-par games would lose.

Both are all-time greats.

Yes, he blew it. Incredible Superbowl though.
Payton’s Super Bowl win with Denver he sucked. Agreed?

Not live, but I'm a student who actually took the time to watch plenty of 60's basketball with my dad.

The list is:

1. Russell
2. Lebron
3. MJ
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Wilt
7. West.
Wilt and shaq dominated their eras.

H
Shaq is a tough cookie to measure all-time. He's like Larry Bird.. so dominant for such a short amount of time.. like 7-8 years.
He should have won in Orlando. He should have won more in LA and he won in Miami. Top 5 Center.

How about Tim Duncan? Best Power Forward of All Time?

The list is:

1. Russell
2. Lebron
3. MJ
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Wilt
7. West.

Russell doesn’t crack the top 10
In his era, Wilt and Oscar Robertson were better

Russell played on a dominant team and won Championships

So did Yogi Berra

H

He should have won in Orlando. He should have won more in LA and he won in Miami. Top 5 Center.

How about Tim Duncan? Best Power Forward of All Time?
Let's see where each other is on the spectrum, Im drinking bourbon and enjoying this back and forth.. I'm in brother.

PG: Magic/Stockton... with so many weapons in other positions, I'm going Stockton
SG: MJ
SF: Lebron/Bird... I'll go Lebron
PF: Duncan
C: Russell

Russell doesn’t crack the top 10
In his era, Wilt and Oscar Robertson were better

Russell played on a dominant team and won Championships

So did Yogi Berra
Dude, just because you say things with no reasons for saying it doesn't make it true. You're a joke in this discussion.

Magic is the greatest point guard of all time.

Magic, wilt, jordan, Duncan and Dennis Rodman is my 5
Dude, just imagine watching
Team 1: Magic, MJ, Rodman, Duncan, Wilt
vs.
Team 2: Stockton, MJ, Lebron, Duncan, Russell

Somebody load that shit up on NBA Live 22

I agree with you that Russell was the greatest in Basketball…

Babe Ruth will always be the greatest for Baseball because he not only did all that hitting but he was also a winning pitcher at the start of his career.

Tom Brady didn’t have to play against legends like Dick Butkus, and played in a era where the QB was the main leader of the team…

For me Bradshaw or Montana would be one of the greatest of their time but greatest Football Player ever would be George Blanca just for the mere fact he was a starting QB and Kicker and played the most seasons in Football…

Dude, just because you say things with no reasons for saying it doesn't make it true. You're a joke in this discussion.
I saw Russell play
He was third best in his era
Behind Wilt and Oscar

Since then
MJ, Lebron, Jabbar, Magic, Bird, Kobe, Shaq have been better

Winning championships in a league with seven teams does not make you the GOAT

I agree with you that Russell was the greatest in Basketball…

Babe Ruth will always be the greatest for Baseball because he not only did all that hitting but he was also a winning pitcher at the start of his career.

Tom Brady didn’t have to play against legends like Dick Butkus, and played in a era where the QB was the main leader of the team…

For me Bradshaw or Montana would be one of the greatest of their time but greatest Football Player ever would be George Blanca just for the mere fact he was a starting QB and Kicker and played the most seasons in Football…
:laughing0301:

Winning championships in a league with seven teams does not make you the GOAT
Who won championships with 7 teams?

Oh.. another misinformation stat by you. Color me surprised.

I love talking bball.. but sadly you're clearly a troll-joke. You're pissed off for some reason, you should calm down and enjoy life. Until you realize this... I'll stop responding to your troll attempts. What a sorry hack, so pissed off but trying to convince himself that he's getting the better of someone online. Totally loser-ville LMAO

Who won championships with 7 teams?

Oh.. another misinformation stat by you. Color me surprised.

I love talking bball.. but sadly you're clearly a troll-joke. You're pissed off for some reason, you should calm down and enjoy life. Until you realize this... I'll stop responding to your troll attempts. What a sorry hack, so pissed off but trying to convince himself that he's getting the better of someone online. Totally loser-ville LMAO
I actually saw them play

Wilt consistently outplayed Russell
The remaining Celts consistently outplayed the rest of Wilts team

Your claims about Russell being the GOAT are laughable

Different game with the NBA being a sideshow to other sports
Celtics had to beat seven other teams to win a Championship

Hardly compares to the Pats having to beat 31 teams

Chamberlain was better
Valid points, BUUUUUT

You play in the league when you play.
Sure there were only 8 teams but all the talent was crammed onto those 8.
Russel v Wilt? Wilt had the stats, a literal stat machine. Bill had the more complete game and the hardware. Career, Head to Head Russell won the matchups 57-37. That's an argument with no winner.

Pats beating 31 teams? C'mon now.
All those years in NE he played the jets, Bills, and Flounders twice a year. That was 6 guaranteed. 3 more and in the playoffs. At most 4 more wins to the title. Effectively, the Pats had to beat 10 teams to win the SB.

Anyhow, I think this GOAT this is just goat crap.

The games have changed. Big O played w/o a three line and still averaged a triple double over a season. The players today are much bigger and faster. Strategies change. Bigs shoot threes. Shaq, Wilt? Couldn't defend away from the basket and couldn't shoot from outside 10. Could TB12 have played this long under the rules as they existed in 1966?

We can speak to the greatest of an era but of all time?
Just an argument with no winner.

Valid points, BUUUUUT

You play in the league when you play.
Sure there were only 8 teams but all the talent was crammed onto those 8.
Russel v Wilt? Wilt had the stats, a literal stat machine. Bill had the more complete game and the hardware. Career, Head to Head Russell won the matchups 57-37. That's an argument with no winner.
Wilt and Jerry West teamed up and couldn't beat the Russell Celtics.

This guy is clearly just a troll, as i've pointed out. Don't waste your time.

Pats beating 31 teams? C'mon now.
All those years in NE he played the jets, Bills, and Flounders twice a year. That was 6 guaranteed. 3 more and in the playoffs. At most 4 more wins to the title. Effectively, the Pats had to beat 10 teams to win the SB.
The Pats certainly played in the weakest division in football for almost 2 decades.

Anyhow, I think this GOAT this is just goat crap.

The games have changed. Big O played w/o a three line and still averaged a triple double over a season. The players today are much bigger and faster. Strategies change. Bigs shoot threes. Shaq, Wilt? Couldn't defend away from the basket and couldn't shoot from outside 10. Could TB12 have played this long under the rules as they existed in 1966?

We can speak to the greatest of an era but of all time?
Just an argument with no winner.
I totally agree. I will have serious discussions about the best player of any generation... I'll dabble into GOAT discussion as I am now, but I'm fully agreeable to sealing off eras and addressing the differences in eras in that you can't rightfully compare the two.

Different game with the NBA being a sideshow to other sports
Celtics had to beat seven other teams to win a Championship

Hardly compares to the Pats having to beat 31 teams

Chamberlain was better
The golden age of basketball was the 1980s thanks to magic johnson and larry bird

its never been better and never will be

Forum List

Back