Who's Responsible

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CrotchetyGeezer, Dec 21, 2012.

1. CrotchetyGeezer

CrotchetyGeezer I have a red pencil box.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    To use a real-life event which occurred in my life, I'll pose a hypothetical question.

About ten or fifteen years ago my brother loaned me his car because my car had broken down and I didn't have the money at that time to get it fixed immediately but, I needed transportation. I had a bad habit of leaving my keys in the car and one morning I got up to find the car had been stolen. Later that day, the police contacted my brother, who was the one who reported it stolen, to say they had found the car on the front lawn of a local elementary school abandoned and unharmed. Apparently someone had just taken it for a joy ride, finally got bored and just left it on the front lawn of the elementary school with the doors left wide open.

Now, lets says these people who stole the car got in an accident or intentionally ran it into the school building and killed and/or injured several children. Should my brother, or even I for that matter, have been held responsible had such a scenario transpired? And, more importantly, should all car owners, the automobile industry and special interest groups lobbying on behalf of the automobile industry, have been held responsible had such a scenario transpired?

2. BallsBrunswick

BallsBrunswick Fair and Balanced

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Adam Lanza.

3. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Seeing as you were too lazy to take the damn keys yes I would hold you responsible.

4. OKTexas

OKTexas New Life Member of the NRA 12/15 Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,259
    Technically you could be held responsible because you enabled the crime by leaving the keys in the car. The legal theory is the same as DUI by consent. If you loan a car to a person who is arrested for DUI, you can also be charged with DUI by consent for enabling that person to drive your car. But legally the other entities could not be held responsible.

5. CrotchetyGeezer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Had nothing to do with being too lazy to take the "damn keys". It was a habit I acquired from my dad who lived in the boondocks basically and didn't have to worry about whether or not he left his keys in his vehicle. Further, even if I was too lazy to remove the keys? How does that make me responsible? I didn't intentionally leave the keys in there so some hoodlum could steal my car. And, I have an expectation that some hoodlum WON'T steal my car. I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not I'm too lazy to remove the keys from my car. And, if some chump steals my car, it's upon him/her for breaking the law, in stealing my car. It's not against the law for me to leave my keys in the car and I'm violating no law in doing so. This is tantamount to blaming some woman for getting raped because she was dressed provocatively, by claiming if she wouldn't have dressed that way, she wouldn't have been raped.

6. CrotchetyGeezer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    And that's pure and simple crap. If I intentionally left the keys in the car so someone could steal it and encouraged the thief to steal it, then yes, I would feel I should be held responsible. However, if it was out of habit or an expectation that no one is going to steal my car? I don't think it would be appropriate to hold me responsible. It's not illegal to leave one's keys in their car and one has an expectation that their property is safe from thieves or other miscreants. That would be like holding you responsible for graffiti because you built a wall you knew would be painted on by graffiti artists. Or, holding you responsible for an accident which was in no way your fault because you knew there was a possibility you could be in an accident and, yet, you drove anyway.

7. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    You know why it's your fault. It's clear you just started the thread for an ulterior motive or just to argue.

8. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    Adam Lanza. Nancy Lanza was complicit. The NRA and the GOP were also complicit.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. CrotchetyGeezer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I started the thread to try and get a logical answer out of some of the idiots on this board and in doing so, perhaps compel some to actually think and use a little common sense. And, how would it have been my fault...again?

10. CrotchetyGeezer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Yeah, like the AAA and GOP would have been complicit if those who stole the car would have gotten in an accident or otherwise injured or killed someone in stealing the car...huh? What a stupid philosophy you have. And, Nancy Lanza was only complicit insofar as in the manner in which she raised her child and allowing him to use guns when she knew he wasn't right in the head. Had it been merely a matter of her leaving the guns out in the open to where they could be stolen, on her own property, I don't think she would have been complicit. Negligent...maybe? But not complicit.