Who works for minimum wage?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Minimum Wage Workers Largely Live In The South, Are Women (GRAPHIC)

2013_09_MinimumWage.png

Before someone attacks the source, note where the info came from stated at the bottom of the graphic.

Also note that the graphic is larger (easier to read) at the link.

Why would anyone attack the source, you have not used it to make a POINT.

You seem to be a regular at posting something and then not making a point about it. There is nothing to debate if you do not bring a subject and a contention to the table. Please clarify what you are getting at, why you used this particular graph and what your goals are for the thread. That might make debate possible.

I used to make minimum wage. then I got a raise. all I did was put my heart, soul and ambition into it. now I do not worry about anything

Black women with bad additudes at BK and Mickey D's

I used to make minimum wage. then I got a raise. all I did was put my heart, soul and ambition into it. now I do not worry about anything

Just think, if minimum wage would have kept up with costs you'd have made a couple hundred more per week for years.

Just think, if minimum wage would have kept up with costs you'd have made a couple hundred more per week for years.

And, we wouldn't have the huge welfare rolls.

I'll never understand why some people can't see the obvious cause and effect.

When I worked for minimum wage, I needed more money, and found two roommates. It wasn't perfect, but it fit all our needs at the time. Much fun was had, and our apartment was very nice.

I also found a second part time job. :D

There is always a way to get there from here, I have found.

Last edited:

When I worked for minimum wage, I needed more money, and found two roommates. It wasn't perfect, but it fit all our needs at the time. Much fun was had, and our apartment was very nice.

The fact that you were working and had to find roommates is the problem. The very sad problem.

If I'd really wanted to know who makes the minimum wage, I'd look it up myself. Either way, very few workers in America earn the minimum wage.

Tables 1 - 10; Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012

So 3.55M Americans is 'very few'?

Considering that it's 1% of the Civilian Noninstitutionalised Population & Working-Aged Population, 2% of the labour force and 4.7% of labour force who earn hourly wages, yes. "Very few' people earn the minimum wage.

Just for kicks, why don't you calculate what boosting those 3.55M Americans wages to $23.50/hr using average spending trends for a projected GDP increase.

Even if we do assume that it is in the nation's best interest to start paying our minimum wage jobs $23.50/hr, it would generally add $151.8 Billion to the economy. That's a third of the growth the economy experienced when the BEA started computing Entertainment as a part of Investment Spending.

Regardless, the shortfalls in GDP are not in the form of PCE, but GDPI.

fredgraph.png

If I'd really wanted to know who makes the minimum wage, I'd look it up myself. Either way, very few workers in America earn the minimum wage.

Tables 1 - 10; Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012

So 3.55M Americans is 'very few'?

Considering that it's 1% of the Civilian Noninstitutionalised Population & Working-Aged Population, 2% of the labour force and 4.7% of labour force who earn hourly wages, yes. "Very few' people earn the minimum wage.

Just for kicks, why don't you calculate what boosting those 3.55M Americans wages to $23.50/hr using average spending trends for a projected GDP increase.

Even if we do assume that it is in the nation's best interest to start paying our minimum wage jobs $23.50/hr, it would generally add $151.8 Billion to the economy. That's a third of the growth the economy experienced when the BEA started computing Entertainment as a part of Investment Spending.

Regardless, the shortfalls in GDP are not in the form of PCE, but GDPI.

Since employee costs are 100% subsidized, why not? btw, since minimum wage is the base for all wages, your $151.8B figure may be off.

Since employee costs are 100% subsidized, why not?

How are employee cost subsidised?

btw, since minimum wage is the base for all wages, your $151.8B figure may be off.

Exactly. There are no positive aspects to paying your lower skilled workers $23.50/hr. All you'll manage to do is push up wages which were below $23.50 higher, and the wages which were higher than $23.50 will be pushed even further as a result of cost-push inflation, provided you don't create massive unemployment as a result.

You'll increase nominal GDP, but minimum wage employees will be back at square one.

Since employee costs are 100% subsidized, why not?

How are employee cost subsidised?

btw, since minimum wage is the base for all wages, your $151.8B figure may be off.

Exactly. There are no positive aspects to paying your lower skilled workers $23.50/hr. All you'll manage to do is push up wages which were below $23.50 higher, and the wages which were higher than $23.50 will be pushed even further as a result of cost-push inflation, provided you don't create massive unemployment as a result.

You'll increase nominal GDP, but minimum wage employees will be back at square one.

Employee costs are 100% deductible.

There are no positive aspects to paying a better than average wage?

1. Lower to zero turn-over which costs a ton of cash.

2. Ability to attract better employees.

3. Ability to steal top employees from your competitor.

4. Lower if any customer failures.

Yeah... Not really...

Yeah, you will find that your workers will be very happy, they will work very hard and productivity will be maximized, but you will also be able to find that your employees will be unable to re-coop their cost and your business will fail.

Doesn't surprise me. I had already figured that those who worked in a service role, lie fast food, would be paid the least. The age group didn't surprise me either, however, I would have thought that men and women would be equal, instead of finding that women are more likely to be paid at a low rate.

Yeah... Not really...

As a former AND current employer....Yeah...Really.

Yeah, you will find that your workers will be very happy, they will work very hard and productivity will be maximized, but you will also be able to find that your employees will be unable to re-coop their cost and your business will fail.

Didn't occur in the first two that I owned and sold for an ungodly amount, and not currently happening in the two companies I Angel Invest which are coming up to their 4th year and looking at a $6M net.

The fact that you were working and had to find roommates is the problem. The very sad problem.

I didn't see it as a problem at all. I saw it as a solution.

Forum List

Back