Who won the debate and why?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Matthew, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,101
    1# Ron Paul-everything was out of the park, but the race one. IF YOU DO A CRIME YOU SHOULD SERVE YOUR TIME. If blacks don't respect the law and break it, who's fault is it? Not whiteys or anyone besides them. That is called being treated equally. Honest to goodnest to let a group off light would promote only bad and more crime...Lets not ask to be treated better.Paul was right about everything else he said. Out of the park! Right about defense, right about our rights and right about the over reach of the government! If it wasn't for that one area, I'd say he would of blown the field away, but he just edged out newt because of it.

Paul had one his best debate as he was clear about things...Normally he comes off to angery!

2# Newt Gingrich...SSI and his idea's on reducing the government were pretty good. The best debater of them all.

3# Mitt Romney...Did fairly good and was honest for once about his reasons for his past record, but could of done far better in defending his record at Bain, ect. I liked his idea's on the border! To sloppy...Really don't understand why his debate skills are falling apart.

4# Santorum...Sounded butt hurt, but had some good idea's.

I expect for S.Carolina this debate did.
    Ron Paul gained 2-3 points. Maybe more if his defense of his defense record worked!
    Newt gained 2-3 points
    Mitt Romney lost 2 points
    Sandorum holds.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,959
    Shoot, I missed another debate?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    The point of the debate is to increase one's odds of winning the GOP nomination. By that standard, Mitt Romney won the debate. At this point though that takes no special ability on his part, he just needs to show up and not make a gaffe.

4. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    If you think Paul 'won' that debate, you went in to it with a predetermined outcome

He either sounded like a pre-scripted buffoon who had to get jis brain to click in to remember the points properly... or an illogical ranter toned down by pain killers

5. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,798
    I agree. Paul had to have had one of his worst nights at a debate. He rambled on, didn't give specifics and sounded like a worn out old man.

Romney had a real bad night too. He stuttered and stammered, looked nervous, beat around the bush and had a real hard time answering some questions. He looked like your typical money bags insider trying real hard to look and sound like he isn't. I don't like him, at all.

Perry had a good night and so did Newt, who in my opinion won the debate. Pollster Frank Luntz said that in his 16 years of following debates, the very first "standing ovation" he's ever seen was for Gingrich last night.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    This is 100% accurate. Romney will be the GOP nominee, and all that the continuing GOP debates are doing at this point is making him a weaker candidate for the general election. While I felt Newt had a good night, he is not electable, and the rest of the field sincerely should have dropped out by now. The Obama campaign will be able to save a ton of money in the general election simply by using the ads that Romney's rivals are currently creating.

7. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    I actually agree with you. The party has sort of coalesced around Romney as the one with the best chance of beating Obama. That's good in the sense there is early cohesion.

8. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Does the GOP have the authority to cancel further debates if they feel it is in their party's best interest?

9. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,672
    I agree with what you say. You are the only one who has mentioned the stuttering and stammering of Romney during these debates. I've noticed it as well. Makes me wonder about his calmness under a real emergency.

Paul, was just Paul. Rambling on and falling short.

Still believe the coronation of nomination should not be guaranteed so early in the game. What do the other states think?

10. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    I may be wrong...but I believe four years ago at this time, Hillary looked like a shoe in.