Who will win the Debt Ceiling debate?

Who will blink first on the Debt Ceiling?

• Republicans cave on taxes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Democrats give up on taxes

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No one budges and the tornado begins...

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • They both make meaningless efforts and pass an extention

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters
Cut spending. It's the only choice.

Actually not. Its mathematically impossible to get out of the bankruptcy track, especially when interest rates start rising, w/o a revenue increase.

Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
You can tax the top 10% at the rate of 100% and still won't have anywhere near enough money to pay this shit-pile off

Amazing... I just heard that going back to Clinton era tax rates for the top 2% alone will generate over $4T over the next 10 years..

Jesus.... Combine that with some genuine cuts??? man... if only your side would cooperate.

Actually not. Its mathematically impossible to get out of the bankruptcy track, especially when interest rates start rising, w/o a revenue increase.

You can tax the top 10% at the rate of 100% and still won't have anywhere near enough money to pay this shit-pile off

Amazing... I just heard that going back to Clinton era tax rates for the top 2% alone will generate over $4T over the next 10 years..

Jesus.... Combine that with some genuine cuts??? man... if only your side would cooperate.
Name some that you would agree with.
Besides military. We all know that's a given.

It's practically a stalemate.
Dems won't agree to cuts without an agreement to raise taxes.
Reps won't agree to tax hikes without serious cuts.

The thing is; our government has a spending problem. It doesn't have a revenue problem.
They will always find a class of people to vilify to justify reaching in their pockets for more taxes.

4T over 10 years? So it would take apprx. 3.5 years to pay down 14T.
That's without ANY new spending or budget increase.....

Where do I sign?

:cuckoo:

The thing is; our government has a spending problem. It doesn't have a revenue problem.
They will always find a class of people to vilify to justify reaching in their pockets for more taxes.

Wow... another slogan. how original... "because they told me that!!!! Bahhh"

Anyway... back to the point..... The Dems(including Obama) said that everything is on the negotiating table. Your side is the one that continually walk away. Obama today is offering up $4T in CUTS(to be negotiated on the "where and how" aspects)over the next decade. IF there are also revenue increases. Basically, the ball is in the Republicans' court... Let's see where their loyalties lie.

EDIT: sorry... I almost forgot... some that I'd agree with? yes... Military....I would be for Medicare changes. Increasing efficiency and accountability. Social Security? nahhhh... that's not a deficit issue... it's a ideological issue. SS has a $2T surplus and even if one more dollar wouldn't be put into the fund, it still would be fiscally sound until 2036....that's including the boomer bubble...The lies from the right are there to scare young people into privatizing the fund so that Wall Street can make money off of it.

so... Military, Medicare, Welfare and Medicaid... once again...Efficiency and accountability changes... not so much big Draconian Cuts in benefits for people who desperately need it. Add to that all the ridiculous stuff that you read about... Treadmills for shrimp was one of the biggest head scratchers for me... plus the stuff that Obama himself talked about... the over-redundancy of different offices regulating the same thing... I believe he used Salmon as an example.

Last edited:
Cut spending. It's the only choice.

doublefacepalm.jpg

The facepalm is for kooks like you that believe "it's different this time". Kooks that say they want "a balanced approach of tax increases and spending cuts". :lol: History proves that the 'tax increases' occur immediately (or sooner!) and the 'spending cuts', well they just never happen. Whenever we allow government to collect more, they spend all of it and more.

The only way to get the debt and budget under control is with massive spending cuts, a cap on federal spending at 18% of the prior years GDP, and a balanced budget amendment. Anything less is a circle jerk......

I vote for the American people.

Both party will come to their senses and not attempt something unbelievably moronically stupid.

But just in case, I'm up to my eyeballs in precious metals...

Where do I sign?

Check your math... that would be 35 years.:lol::cuckoo:

Tax increases are not going to happen. The Republicans have no desire for tax increases and in fact, there is very little enthusiasm among Democrats either. If there were, Harry Reid would already be moving tax legislation through the Democrat-controlled Senate. Even Bubba Clinton called for lower corporate tax rates last week.....

The one time I have a thread that gets debated and I've had too many to partake. I claim shennagins.

Day after tomorrow my head will stop hurting. And at that point all democrats will pay.... Until then I'm gonna go pass out

The Debt Ceiling debate reminds me of one of those "chicken" drag races towards cliffs that they used to have in movies like American Graffiti.

Who will bail out first? ...........

Where do I sign?

Check your math... that would be 35 years.:lol::cuckoo:

That was embarrassing!!
Thanks
:redface:

Put it like that it's even more alluring

I'm waiting for the dems to say forget about EVER getting the Bush tax cuts extended. They are dead and the tax rates are going back to the Clinton Rates.

Then I heard the dems saying that the 14th Amendment gives Obama the power to do whatever he wants to do to pay for incurred debts...if the GOP wants to make a Constitutional Crisis the USSC can decide......wonder if BO wishes he didn't bad-mouth the USSC during that State Of The Union message.....

The Bush tax cuts WERE extended. Republicans said they would block unemployment for millions of American unless the Bush tax cuts were extended. It was only a few months ago. Obama wasn't willing to let middle class Americans who were victimized by the Republican Party suffer. Republicans already victimized the Middle Class. They don't give a flying fuck about anyone not a millionaire. Come on. Look at the ones on this board. They can barely bring themselves to even say the words "middle class". They have been "well trained".

He happens to be entirely correct, of course.

No. He's not. Clearly we have more choices than JUST cutting spending. Just because you don't want to select one of the options doesn't mean they don't exist.

DBS-

Do you believe Medicare reform should be part of the deal despite Pelosi's opposition? I think it has to be. When you compare it to Clinton's budget the spending is 1% more as a percent of GDP then just 10 years ago!

so... Military, Medicare, Welfare and Medicaid... once again...Efficiency and accountability changes... not so much big Draconian Cuts in benefits for people who desperately need it. Add to that all the ridiculous stuff that you read about... Treadmills for shrimp was one of the biggest head scratchers for me... plus the stuff that Obama himself talked about... the over-redundancy of different offices regulating the same thing... I believe he used Salmon as an example.

You don't touch Medicare or Medicaid expenses with efficiency and accountability changes. The fact is the government must hold the line on what they are willing to spend. I am okay with some kind of floor but beyond that the Ryan plan makes ton's of sense and isn't much different than Obamacare.

End the Bush tax cuts yes but without something equally dramatic on the medical cost side neither side is serious about the deficit.

Wow... another slogan. how original... "because they told me that!!!! Bahhh"

Anyway... back to the point..... The Dems(including Obama) said that everything is on the negotiating table. Your side is the one that continually walk away. Obama today is offering up $4T in CUTS(to be negotiated on the "where and how" aspects)over the next decade. IF there are also revenue increases. Basically, the ball is in the Republicans' court... Let's see where their loyalties lie.

EDIT: sorry... I almost forgot... some that I'd agree with? yes... Military....I would be for Medicare changes. Increasing efficiency and accountability. Social Security? nahhhh... that's not a deficit issue... it's a ideological issue. SS has a $2T surplus and even if one more dollar wouldn't be put into the fund, it still would be fiscally sound until 2036....that's including the boomer bubble...The lies from the right are there to scare young people into privatizing the fund so that Wall Street can make money off of it.

Laugh at it as a slogan if you wish but I challenge you to prove it wrong.

The Dems (including Obama) have said a lot of shit that never seems to happen.
Open debate on healthcare to be broadcast on C-Span
Close GTMO
Unemployment to max out at 8%

So pardon me if I have been alive for far too long to believe ANY democrat when they say they'll cut spending.
And 4T over 10 years ain't jack-shit any more than 65B was.

Forum List

Back