Who will watch the not so Super Bowl?

Yep it'll sell out but agree on the stupidity of holding it in Minnesota. That was dumb as AF.

I'm fine with it in Minny. So it will make a few million less than if they held it in NO every year. I think you take that tiny ding on your 14billion dollar revenue and move on, happy you are giving a huge boon to new cities every year.

Also for the prices, are they saying the SB tickets themselves aren't selling at cost? Or that the secondary market prices aren't ballooning? Cause if Stubhub or something is only getting 200% markup instead of 500%, that really doesn't affect the NFL.

There use to be the draw of the game, half time entertainment and the commercials. The commercials became less creative, then the performers decided to make statements, then the players went political. I'll find a good movie on cable and go to bed at a reasonable time for an early morning work week.

How long before it's dead? I've been hearing a lot of pronouncements lately about the NFL dying.

Seems like the fun thing to do. Put it this way, broadcast NFL is down give or take 7% from all time highs, and people put streaming at 5-8% which didn't exist 5 years ago. Two weeks ago the two NFL games were the most watched thing on TV since last years SB.

SNF is still the #1 rated show in the land, TNF is #2. and that's with a major drop off in other TV.

NBA for example is up recently. But that's off of all time lows. 25 years ago 50% more people tuned in. Same for baseball. NFL pre-game outdid most MLB playoff games. The fricking Pro Bowl outdid the average ALCS game with the New York Yankees as one of the teams.

And don't forget, we all record and Tevo, or watch on Netflix so we can skip commercials. Except for sports. Because we want to see our sports live. The only way the Walking Dead is going to put an ad in front of me is when they drive that clean fully loaded 2014 Hyundai Tucson around with all their other junk. Sports are becoming more and more important for ad sponsors.

So when you wonder why Fox is paying 25% more now for Thursday night football (and 1.75 billion a year for NFL), or Verizon just spent multiple billions of dollars for NFL streaming rights, that's the answer there.

Tomorrow will be the Superbowl. It will be the largest amount of revenue a company has ever brought in in a single day in the history of the world. In a 3 hour game, 2.5% of all broadcast TV revenue for 2018 will be earned.

With the Super Bowl being in Minnesota, I predict both teams will now lose.

Yeah I understand that they need to spread it around, but Jesus ...

Here's the weather in Minneapolis

SUN FEB 4
Partly Cloudy
High of 6° Low of 2°
10% Precip

So what if it is cold? You guys do know that the stadium in Minnesota is an indoor stadium, right? The weather on the field is gonna be around 70 degrees.

Super Bowl ticket market shows no signs of rising as temps dip in Minneapolis

Apparently the NFL had another brilliant idea. Let's have the Super Bowl in the artic wasteland of Minnesota. The only way to have kept sales up would have been for the Vikings to make the Super Bowl, which they never do and never will cuz it's not about the team, it's about the franchise that either knows how to win, like the Patriots, or are clueless, like the Vikings. Add to that the horrible buffoonery of the kneeling debacle, and what you have are steeply falling Super Bowl tickets. In fact, will they even sell out?

I personally stopped watching the NFL long ago, for other reasons. But what I see before me is a dying sport.

I haven't watched a single game all year. And won't for the rest of my life either it appears. No loss, I have better things to do with my time.

Apparently the NFL had another brilliant idea. Let's have the Super Bowl in the artic wasteland of Minnesota. The only way to have kept sales up would have been for the Vikings to make the Super Bowl, which they never do and never will cuz it's not about the team, it's about the franchise that either knows how to win, like the Patriots, or are clueless, like the Vikings. Add to that the horrible buffoonery of the kneeling debacle, and what you have are steeply falling Super Bowl tickets. In fact, will they even sell out?

I personally stopped watching the NFL long ago, for other reasons. But what I see before me is a dying sport.

You know Votto, you may have had a point, but for one thing.....................

The Superbowl is being played in an indoor stadium. The temp inside and on the field is gonna be a balmy 70 degrees.

And for those curious about the facts of the NFL's death, the NFL finance committee released their 2018 salary cap for teams to plan on their free agency. The cap is a % of league revenue, and has shot up. Yup, NFL revenue shot up 230% faster than the US GDP this past year.

So if that's "Dying", then whats our economy doing now under the current president.

NBA finals 20 years ago averaged 29 million viewers. 50% more than last years finals. Nothing recent has been close to that. But NBA team values are at all time highs, league revenue exploding, salaries skyrocketing.

Forbes said the MLB team values are up the highest year to year in baseballs history. About 25 years ago the world series would see 30-35 million fans watching each game. That's now 12-20 million. About cut in half. And values skyrocketing, player salaries through the roof, revenue soaring.

So next time you want to say "the NFL is dying", think before you speak please. 37 of the top 50 shows on TV were NFL games in 2017, 3 were NBA, and 4 other sports had 1. Of the top 10 events on a network, 9 were nfl games (academy awards was the other). That is up from 28 of the top 50 the year before. Broadcast TV is definitely turning down. And NFL taking more and more of that pie.

Throw in streaming which doesn't exist 5 years ago (some people say that 30% of Americans stream events, a "most watched" inauguration proved that) and 25% more national audience games with TNF, and you can see why revenue is skyrocketing for the NFL.

Saying the NFL is dying is like seeing Bill Gates lose a $1000 bet and claiming he's going broke now, it's that dumb.

3 hours for the SB on one station. And in that 3 hours, 2.5% of all broadcast revenue of all the US stations in 2018 will be earned.

You know, my favorite teams aren't playing this year, so yeah, I'm gonna watch the game, but I'm going to be paying attention to the commercials.

Besides..................the games are pretty much what you would see during the regular season, but the commercials are the thing that I actually tune in for.

So what if it is cold? You guys do know that the stadium in Minnesota is an indoor stadium, right? The weather on the field is gonna be around 70 degrees.

Yes - But minus 20 with the wind chill is forecast at present. Perhaps you were not aware that people have to walk long distances to and from their cars.

Vikings didn't make it, so I won't watch. Also avoiding Mpls like the plague this weekend. Have no desire to be part of any of the overpriced venues this weekend.

Yes - But minus 20 with the wind chill is forecast at present. Perhaps you were not aware that people have to walk long distances to and from their cars.
There are over 20 miles of second story skyway's connecting every major building downtown. A network of above ground tunnels connecting entire city in network.
If staying downtown you never have to go outdoors. Stay at Mall of America take the lightrail. Never outside. download.jpegimages.jpegdownload.png

There are over 20 miles of second story skyway's connecting every major building downtown. A network of above ground tunnels connecting entire city in network.
If staying downtown you never have to go outdoors. Stay at Mall of America take the lightrail. Never outside.View attachment 174792View attachment 174793View attachment 174794

Wow I did not know these things petro - Thanks!

I went to Mall of America once when I was there on biz. Overwhelmingly YUUUGE

If staying downtown you never have to go outdoors. Stay at Mall of America take the lightrail. Never outside.View attachment 174792View attachment 174793View attachment 174794

Wow I did not know these things petro - Thanks!

I went to Mall of America once when I was there on biz. Overwhelmingly YUUUGE
I avoid downtown as I live a ways out, but was always impressed with the access downtown through the skyway system. You can live, work, shop, bank, hit a club and never grab a jacket.

Mall of America is a zoo this weekend as they have all the media staged there. The Mall is expanding...
Mall of America plans next phase of northern expansion – Twin Cities

Can't say I know a single song Justin Timberlake is known for

Dick in a box. Honestly, never listened to his actual music, but his stuff with lonely Island is retardedly funny. And his ESPY song was pretty good.

I won’t be watching it. But then... I opted out of having cables or satellite television in my home years ago. My plumbing carries my waste out of, and away from my home. I’m not about to turn around, and have other people’s waste pumped directly in...

Forum List

Back