Who the hell wouldn't want to explore space?

Now Two Thumbs, if a light year is meaningless and cannot be referanced, then how did you come up with the miles?

Selivan, why do you think that you know enough to say anything like that? I suspect what you know in physics will compare to the physics of a hundred years from now about the same as what a neolithic hunter knew of transistors.
it's called math.

crap, now I have to figure out if I remembered right

A light year is 5,878,625,373,183.6 miles

and it's 4.2 light years away

carry the one

My Dad would probably stop twice to pee, so really really far away.

you can't visualize a light year, you have no concept or point of reference. so the idea of travelling there is absurd.
I always kept the empty beer bottles to pee in while traveling...
My Dad drank coffee so he wouldn't need to pee, like a manly man.

Coffee and beer are natural diuretics.
then explain how my Dad could drink 1/2 a pot of coffee, fill a Heinz ketchup bottle with more coffee, drive from Northern Illinois to Southern Arkansas and not need to stop except for gas.

Now Two Thumbs, if a light year is meaningless and cannot be referanced, then how did you come up with the miles?

Selivan, why do you think that you know enough to say anything like that? I suspect what you know in physics will compare to the physics of a hundred years from now about the same as what a neolithic hunter knew of transistors.
it's called math.

crap, now I have to figure out if I remembered right

A light year is 5,878,625,373,183.6 miles

and it's 4.2 light years away

carry the one

My Dad would probably stop twice to pee, so really really far away.

you can't visualize a light year, you have no concept or point of reference. so the idea of travelling there is absurd.
I always kept the empty beer bottles to pee in while traveling...
My Dad drank coffee so he wouldn't need to pee, like a manly man.

Coffee and beer are natural diuretics.
then explain how my Dad could drink 1/2 a pot of coffee, fill a Heinz ketchup bottle with more coffee, drive from Northern Illinois to Southern Arkansas and not need to stop except for gas.

Perhaps he drank decaf coffee. Or he has an enlarged bladder from holding it in. Possibly he is also a speeder.

Seriously, landing on mars, europa, io or Titan would be the biggest event of anyones fucking life. It would put you in the goddamn history book and would be truly something to remember for the rest of your life.

It would be far bigger then climbing Everest or anything you could do on this planet
Not me. You'd have to devote at least 5 years to training and travel when robots would do a much better job. Man was not made to travel in space or live on other planets. There will come a time but it is far off.

Me neither, I'm staying on earth , the only planet we have. Wish a lot of people would go to Mars though.

1. I did not say that "Lightyear" is a madness .. This was told by another person. But in fact it is a concept that is accepted in Fundamental Science
2. Fundamental science does not use "miles", but uses meters.
3. When I was young (30 years ago), I translated scientific literature from American journals and wrote articles in English ... None of the scientific journals has the notion of "miles"

3ab325e64f63109991ac4cad0780f405-1.jpg

Seriously, landing on mars, europa, io or Titan would be the biggest event of anyones fucking life. It would put you in the goddamn history book and would be truly something to remember for the rest of your life.

It would be far bigger then climbing Everest or anything you could do on this planet
Exploring space is boring as hell

Who wants to spend months in a tin can?

Next few centuries humans will spread throughout the solar system. The largest problem at this point is the economics of getting cargo off world. First thing that should happen is an equatorial elevator to get materials in orbit at reduced cost. Build ships in orbit and mine the asteroid belt for material.

Likely would be several hundred years or more before interstellar travel would be attempted. First trips would be one way generational where the decendents on that ship would see the new world.
FTL or the ability to jump space and time is far out of reach and pure sci-fi speculation at this point.

Exploring space is boring as hell

Who wants to spend months in a tin can?
especially with other guys farting...

Next few centuries humans will spread throughout the solar system. The largest problem at this point is the economics of getting cargo off world. First thing that should happen is an equatorial elevator to get materials in orbit at reduced cost. Build ships in orbit and mine the asteroid belt for material.

Likely would be several hundred years or more before interstellar travel would be attempted. First trips would be one way generational where the decendents on that ship would see the new world.
FTL or the ability to jump space and time is far out of reach and pure sci-fi speculation at this point.
Thus the Titan(raptor) rocket launch on the 5th....I believe they are 300 ton boosters..

One light-year is the distance that light passes in a vacuum (in a continuous medium - less)

- Speed of light = 300 000000 m / s = 3 * 10 ^ 8

- The number of seconds in the hour = 60 * 60 = 3600
- The number of seconds per day = 3600 * 24 = 86400
- Number of seconds per year = 86400 * 365 = 31536000 = (approximately) = 3.2 * 10 ^ 7

================================================== =========
Consequently, the distance that light passes through the year:
= (3 * 10 ^ 8) * (3,2 * 10 ^ 7) = (approximately) = 10 ^ 16 meters ...
or = 10 ^ 13 kilometers ...
-----------------------------------------
1 mile = 1.6 kilometers ...
Consequently:

Light year = 10 ^ 13 (km) = 100 * 10 ^ 11 = 6.25 * 10 ^ 12 (miles)

================================================== =========
The distance to the near star "Proxima Centauri" is 4.2 light years ...
Hence, this distance is in miles:
= 4.2 * 6.25 * 10 ^ 12 (mi) = 2.6 * 10 ^ 13 (mi)
-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
"trillion" is the number = 10 ^ 12

Consequently, the distance to the nearer star:
= 260 trillion miles ...

It is obvious that the future of space travel is R2D2 not Buck Rogers

Thus the Titan(raptor) rocket launch on the 5th....I believe they are 300 ton boosters..
Was this the rocket? SLS?
NASA's New Mega-Rocket for Deep Space Will Be Launch Ready by 2018

Was this the rocket? SLS?
NASA's New Mega-Rocket for Deep Space Will Be Launch Ready by 2018
The one on the 5th is the govt and Space X collusion.....

It's all - dreams and dreams ...
Americans do not even know how to transport their citizens to the International Space Station, so they ask Russia ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Russians have a lot of funny hedgehogs ...
As Nikita Khrushchev said, "we will find a way to shove these hedgehogs into the Americans' pants" :04:
We are about done with the Russian space Uber.

Forum List

Back